Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 12:13 PM

267 posts, read 330,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'll take Ancient Construction Marvels for $1000 Alex.

"It's the longest, drawn out interstate upgrade ever in this small southeastern state."

"What is the I-85 in Spartanburg and Cherokee Counties, South Carolina!!"

Correct!!
It takes a little while to completely rebuild 30 miles of interstate, overpasses, and interchanges while keeping the existing lanes of traffic open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 02:35 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post
It takes a little while to completely rebuild 30 miles of interstate, overpasses, and interchanges while keeping the existing lanes of traffic open.

I have a friend who is a civil engineer. He always says you can have it done correctly, you can have it done fast or you can have it done cheap. But you can only pick 2. Most governments opt for correct and cheap.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:13 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
I have a friend who is a civil engineer. He always says you can have it done correctly, you can have it done fast or you can have it done cheap. But you can only pick 2. Most governments opt for correct and cheap.
Knowing SCDOT, they went for slowest and cheapest.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'll take Ancient Construction Marvels for $1000 Alex.

"It's the longest, drawn out interstate upgrade ever in this small southeastern state."

"What is the I-85 in Spartanburg and Cherokee Counties, South Carolina!!"

Correct!!
Beat me to it.

I moved here in the late 90's and I remember driving through it then on my way to Charlotte.. Yes, over 20 years ago. Do they have an end goal? What exactly are they doing?

Old 05-19-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Beat me to it.

I moved here in the late 90's and I remember driving through it then on my way to Charlotte.. Yes, over 20 years ago. Do they have an end goal? What exactly are they doing?
In the '90s there was a bypass built on I-85 around Spartanburg between mile markers 68 and 80. That section of interstate was built very poorly and by 2015 it was failing to the point of being dangerous. Just after that, the section (called Phase I) between miles markers 68 to 80 was completely demolished and rebuilt. During the construction of Phase I, Phase II was started which goes from mile marker 80 to 86. This phase was not just replacing the road surface and road bed, but also widening I-85 to six lanes and replacing overpasses where needed. When the Phase I portion was completed, Phase III was started which included the replacement and widening like Phase II but also included replacing a railroad overpass. Finally, Phase IV was started not long afterward which was more replacement and widening and also included completely removing and reworking several ramps, interchanges and overpasses. The end result will be a 6 lane concrete I-85 from the SC/NC state line to mile marker 68. Sometime later this year, there is another project for I-85 to widen it to 8 or 10 lanes from mile marker 40 to mile marker 68.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:15 PM

100 posts, read 144,814 times
Thanks all for the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post
In the '90s there was a bypass built on I-85 around Spartanburg between mile markers 68 and 80. That section of interstate was built very poorly and by 2015 it was failing to the point of being dangerous. Just after that, the section (called Phase I) between miles markers 68 to 80 was completely demolished and rebuilt. During the construction of Phase I, Phase II was started which goes from mile marker 80 to 86. This phase was not just replacing the road surface and road bed, but also widening I-85 to six lanes and replacing overpasses where needed. When the Phase I portion was completed, Phase III was started which included the replacement and widening like Phase II but also included replacing a railroad overpass. Finally, Phase IV was started not long afterward which was more replacement and widening and also included completely removing and reworking several ramps, interchanges and overpasses. The end result will be a 6 lane concrete I-85 from the SC/NC state line to mile marker 68. Sometime later this year, there is another project for I-85 to widen it to 8 or 10 lanes from mile marker 40 to mile marker 68.
I wonder why they did not go ahead and widen Phase I to 8 lanes since they are going to widen from mile marker 40 to 68. I feel they do this on purpose to keep getting taxpayer money. I bet in 10 years or so, that will be the next thing they do....I85 will always be in construction!

Old 05-28-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r10000 View Post
Thanks all for the posts.

I wonder why they did not go ahead and widen Phase I to 8 lanes since they are going to widen from mile marker 40 to 68. I feel they do this on purpose to keep getting taxpayer money. I bet in 10 years or so, that will be the next thing they do....I85 will always be in construction!
My guess would be because of the bridges and overpasses. The replacement of the existing 6 lane expressway did not require any bridges or overpasses to be modified or replaced.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 6,652 times
I understand the rail bridge over 85 (mile marker?) that went to the large industrial facility was delayed and a holdup for a long period...took a while to agree with a design. Hope they complete this project before more serious mishaps occur.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:25 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Three more killed in seven car pileup today in Gaffney. Coroner says chutes around construction should be called "Death Traps"

https://www.wyff4.com/article/cherok...miles/37039536

Old 07-16-2021, 05:49 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Three more killed in seven car pileup today in Gaffney. Coroner says chutes around construction should be called "Death Traps"

https://www.wyff4.com/article/cherok...miles/37039536
Quote:
"These chutes should be called death traps. While state officials have endorsed them at two separate public meetings in Gaffney, I disagree with their being safe for motorists. It seems none of those officials are around to ride with me to knock on the doors of next of kin to deliver the message a loved one has been killed in this maze of concrete. Something must be done immediately. We cannot lose any more lives at the sacrifice of a road project," Fowler said.
Maybe that is what it will take. Should force the engineers and managers of DOT to arrive on scene and see the carnage first hand. Then go with the coroner and knock on family members doors. Only then will change come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area