Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 AM

354 posts, read 1,072,685 times

Advertisements

Ok........FINALLY.......it looks like my husband and I are going to be taking a trip down to do some house hunting at the end of June.
I'm very excited to finally get the ball rolling......after all this time researching online! I feel like I've already moved there! LOL

We have pretty much established we would like to like on the Eastside of Greenville.
We are open to Simpsonville, Greer, and Powdersville and possibly Taylors (but Taylors doesn't seem very close to the kids' schools)

My kids will be going to school off of Augusta Road (St. Joseph's and Our Lady of the Rosary)

Can you guys help me narrow down some neighbourhoods worth consentrating on? Here is our criteria and price range: (and yes......I realize we are "lucky" to be in this price range so please hold back the negative comments about my criteria. We didn't win the lottery. Lots of hard work....saving.....and sacrifices over the years)

-Neighbourhoods in price ranges from $350-$600ish
-Newer development with amenities such as community pool
-Within 10-15 minutes to the kids schools
-Larger lot but not acreage (too much yard work....haha)
-TREES in the development.......water like rivers or ponds are also nice but not necessary
-FAMILY friendly. Neighbourhoods where kids actually play outside!

I realize that the realtor will be able to give us some direction when we are there......however, I really would like to know what some of the locals views on what neighbourhoods they either live in.......or would LIKE to live in if they could afford it.

THANKS everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 PM

11,682 posts, read 24,623,398 times
In Powdersville area I would recommend these two neighborhoods seeing how they're in your price range and offer the amenities you would like: Acadia and The River Reserve is a Private Gated Riverfront Community located in beautiful Upstate, South Carolina. Please note the River Reserve is in Anderson County while Acadia is in Greenville County.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM

915 posts, read 2,412,719 times
Sorry, the table I was trying to post didn't paste correctly. Anyway, based on the criteria you provided, you might want to take a look at Stonehaven, Asheton Springs, Laurel Lake, Mahaffey Plantation, Spaulding Farm, and River Walk.

You could always take a peek at my neighborhood too. I live in Kilgore Farms near the intersection of Woodruff Rd and Jonesville Rd. The neighborhood is still under construction, and we currently have a cabana, pool, kiddie pool, and playground. As phase 4/5 gets under way, the developer will be adding yet another pool (this one will be olympic size), full clubhouse, and tennis courts (not 100%, since they're also considering a multi-purpose "sports court").

Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 PM

65 posts, read 202,491 times
I just spent 2 months looking at close to 100 houses in your price range/criteria (except I don't have kids) and finally found one with a Greer mailing address, yet very close to Greenville city limits. I hope you can find yours quicker!

You do know that Powerdersville is not on the east side? I didn't look there because it was a bit too far from my husband's job.

If you want to live fairly close to your chosen schools, there are some very nice subdivisions in that area: Chanticleer, Parkins Mill, Collins Creek, Gower Estates, etc. The only problem is that the homes tend to be older. That area would have been my first choice as it's close to downtown, but I guess our timing wasn't right.

Of the subdivisions a little further east, I liked Riverwalk (trees/creek, swim teams, smallish lots) and Asheton Estates. Any further east and you'll have quite a drive to school, I think.

I found the following website helpful (someone else on the forum suggested it): exitgreenville.com; be sure to sign up for the virtual office, as you can do some detailed searches. There are also a lot of FSBOs so you might want to set aside time to drive around your favorite subdivisions.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,304,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
In Powdersville area I would recommend these two neighborhoods seeing how they're in your price range and offer the amenities you would like: Acadia and The River Reserve is a Private Gated Riverfront Community located in beautiful Upstate, South Carolina. Please note the River Reserve is in Anderson County while Acadia is in Greenville County.
It'd be pretty cute if AcadianIrish lived in Acadia!!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:37 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,304,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickedTN View Post
That area would have been my first choice as it's close to downtown, but I guess our timing wasn't right.
Do you mind telling us why you chose Tennessee over Greenville?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It'd be pretty cute if AcadianIrish lived in Acadia!!
Trust me......the irony wasn't lost on us either! haha........I actually Acadia for more information a month ago and the developer of Acadia called me up personally.......because he was "tickled pink" that some real live "Acadians" might be interested in living there........haha

We will certainly be checking it out when we visit. Don't know if we want to wait to build a house though and the ones available don't fit our large family.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 314,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickedTN View Post

If you want to live fairly close to your chosen schools, there are some very nice subdivisions in that area: Chanticleer, Parkins Mill, Collins Creek, Gower Estates, etc. The only problem is that the homes tend to be older. That area would have been my first choice as it's close to downtown, but I guess our timing wasn't right.
Those are some of the nicest neighborhoods in Greenville . Most of the houses were built from the 40's through the 60's. I would look at each house individually as there can be more variation in condition than a house built in a newer subdivision. Some of those older homes will be better built than a newer one. It depends on how well the owner kept them up.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 PM

282 posts, read 747,746 times
River Walk is an absolutely beautiful subdivision as well as Acadia (in the early stages of development) and River Reserve. You must have spoken with Caleb at Acadia. He is a joy to spend time with. Have him ride you around on the golf cart for a personal tour. He will be glad to have your Realtor ride with you also. The only negative that I have had from clients about Acadia would be the size of the lots. People do love the Craftsman style homes in the neighborhood. River Walk and River Reserve both have trees and are active neighborhoods with children. River Reserve is mostly made up of younger families with children. Welcome to our area. I am sure that you will fit in where ever you move to. I have followed your forums for a while and have truly enjoyed reading them. I LOVE your sense of humor!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri Sanders View Post
Welcome to our area. I am sure that you will fit in where ever you move to. I have followed your forums for a while and have truly enjoyed reading them. I LOVE your sense of humor!
Thanks Sheri! I've really enjoy your posts too!

Laughing is what makes life so bearable!
I've been known for the "smile" by my family and friends my whole life..........(much to my dismay is causing these freakin little wrinkles around my eyes)........
I refer to them as "laugh lines".......cause I couldn't possibly be getting wrinkles at 39 years old??LOL......

Oh well.........Guess they are better than FROWN lines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area