Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2024, 02:10 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I think many people in Greenville, especially right leaning people, would prefer it to be less populated. People who care about population numbers seem to be urbanist government oriented.
I agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Nobody in Greenville think the city gets tourism like those cities.

I think there are people who use Greenville as a base camp for mountain vacations similar to Asheville. Greenville is closer or as close to many of the Blue Ridge attractions like Whitewater Falls.
I agree

Old 01-13-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
When I was high school in small town SC in the 90s, soccer seemed to be the most popular sport for the white kids. Part of that is there wasn't much diversity on football and basketball teams. I've never heard anybody talk about lack of diversity in those two sports which can led to big money.
Every year for perhaps the last 10 years, BOA stadium has hosted 1-2 international soccer matches during summer months. Hispanic people from all over the south come when their home country national team plays in downtown Charlotte. The matches usually draw 50-60k. This would not be possible if not for the large and growing Hispanic population in NC and SC. and the south. Charlotte’s large Hispanic also contributes to Charlotte’s mls team averaging over 30k fans per game and ranking second in mls attendance.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
You're calling us lots of names and are writing ridiculously long posts. But who is in what forum? Are we over in the Charlotte forum beating our chest about our home? Who really has the complex? If you don't like us then why come over here with verbal diarrhea because we like where we live? Just hang out in the forum of the cities you like. I never go to the Charlotte forum. And this is definitely GSP101 mannerisms. Strong disdain for Greenville, but never posted in the forum of the city he claimed he lives in. We could careless if Charlotte is larger and growing faster. It's not for us and I personally see nothing special about it. So if you don't like us then don't come here and read our posts. If I judged Charlotte by the interactions of posters like yourself here, then I could say people there have a superiority complex. But I know better than to judge a place based on a handful of posters who post outside of their home forum to this one. Most folks don't even know of these websites. We don't know you. We don't care what you think of us. So save the ridiculously long posts.
I remember that gsp101 used to post here. I do remember that he was critical. I can understand why he was critical. But my complaints ( maybe his were also) not so much anti Greenville but instead being critical of the constant homerism and bashing other cities by a few. But I can understand why you and others do it. Greenville does not get the respect that you think that it deserves. So, you want to set the other posters straight that you think are wrong. I can understand this. But I think Greenville is up and coming. It is getting more respect. It is growing pretty rapidly for a metro of 1.5 million. It has a strong industrial base. The downtown brings noteriety to the city. And Greenville’s location in the foothills is great for outdoorsman. I think that your and others comments would go further in a positive way if you were to say positive things occassionallly regarding Asheville or Columbia when someone brings them up. And not constantly speak of how Greenville is so much bigger and better.

But if you really read my comments, I was not bashing Greenville. I made several positive comments . Most of comments were pointing out that although Charlotte and Greenville are both southern cities, they have a lot of differences. When pointing out those differences, I did not state which city is better. I simply pointed out the differences.

Regarding my comments about downtown Greenville, my comments came only after someone stated that nc cities do not pay attention to their downtowns. Nothing could be further from the truth. Had that comment not been made, I would not have expressed my opinion on Greenville’s downtown.

So, as I said, it is difficult to post positive comments regarding Greenville on this site because they are often taken out of context. Then a backhanded comment is made ridiculing another city. This is what happened here. I came on this site to praise Greenville which I did. Then came the backhanded comment.,

Old 01-13-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
If you think we are bad now, wait until the observation tower called The Thomas and Vivian A. Wong Honor Tower is built at Unity Park. https://gsabusiness.com/unity-park-t...r-1m-donation/

This tower will be like a bat signal to urbanists. In my view, the city decided to do the observation tower and Liberty Bridge at Falls Parks to attract people who support high taxes and have your general viewpoints.

The tower is named after a couple that immigrated from Hong Kong six decades ago and became successful. Your posts have made it seem like Greenville has never seen a transplant until the past 5 years or so.
I have not given you my viewpoints. I have simply stated the differences between the cities. Do not read too much into my comments.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
If you think we are bad now, wait until the observation tower called The Thomas and Vivian A. Wong Honor Tower is built at Unity Park. https://gsabusiness.com/unity-park-t...r-1m-donation/

This tower will be like a bat signal to urbanists. In my view, the city decided to do the observation tower and Liberty Bridge at Falls Parks to attract people who support high taxes and have your general viewpoints.

The tower is named after a couple that immigrated from Hong Kong six decades ago and became successful. Your posts have made it seem like Greenville has never seen a transplant until the past 5 years or so.
I have never stated that Greenville has not seen a transplant until 5 years ago. You guys are so funny because you misread almost everything I write. I have only given US Census Bureau data. The data is what it is. But facts are facts. Greenville county has grown by approximately 70k residents each of the last two decades. These two decades kicked off Greenville’s more explosive growth. So, no the growth has not been that explosive and certainly not for too long. Maybe this is why you don’t like my comments. Maybe you don’t like facts . Maybe you prefer subjective opinions better than facts.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
You're calling us lots of names and are writing ridiculously long posts. But who is in what forum? Are we over in the Charlotte forum beating our chest about our home? Who really has the complex? If you don't like us then why come over here with verbal diarrhea because we like where we live? Just hang out in the forum of the cities you like. I never go to the Charlotte forum. And this is definitely GSP101 mannerisms. Strong disdain for Greenville, but never posted in the forum of the city he claimed he lives in. We could careless if Charlotte is larger and growing faster. It's not for us and I personally see nothing special about it. So if you don't like us then don't come here and read our posts. If I judged Charlotte by the interactions of posters like yourself here, then I could say people there have a superiority complex. But I know better than to judge a place based on a handful of posters who post outside of their home forum to this one. Most folks don't even know of these websites. We don't know you. We don't care what you think of us. So save the ridiculously long posts.
I believe I have seen your comments in the Columbia and SC forums. So, I have the same rights that you do. And I promise you that my comments regarding Greenville are far more kind than your comments regarding Columbia and Asheville. I believe you just don’t like people coming to the Greenville forum and challenging you and your comments.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:50 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I remember that gsp101 used to post here. I do remember that he was critical. I can understand why he was critical. But my complaints ( maybe his were also) not so much anti Greenville but instead being critical of the constant homerism and bashing other cities by a few. But I can understand why you and others do it. Greenville does not get the respect that you think that it deserves. So, you want to set the other posters straight that you think are wrong. I can understand this. But I think Greenville is up and coming. It is getting more respect. It is growing pretty rapidly for a metro of 1.5 million. It has a strong industrial base. The downtown brings noteriety to the city. And Greenville’s location in the foothills is great for outdoorsman. I think that your and others comments would go further in a positive way if you were to say positive things occassionallly regarding Asheville or Columbia when someone brings them up. And not constantly speak of how Greenville is so much bigger and better.

But if you really read my comments, I was not bashing Greenville. I made several positive comments . Most of comments were pointing out that although Charlotte and Greenville are both southern cities, they have a lot of differences. When pointing out those differences, I did not state which city is better. I simply pointed out the differences.

Regarding my comments about downtown Greenville, my comments came only after someone stated that nc cities do not pay attention to their downtowns. Nothing could be further from the truth. Had that comment not been made, I would not have expressed my opinion on Greenville’s downtown.

So, as I said, it is difficult to post positive comments regarding Greenville on this site because they are often taken out of context. Then a backhanded comment is made ridiculing another city. This is what happened here. I came on this site to praise Greenville which I did. Then came the backhanded comment.,
My job is to set the record straight. If someone has wrong information about the area I'm a professional in, I'm going to do just that. It has nothing to do with those other cities. This is the Greenville and Spartanburg forum. So if you come here talking about another city to compare it to one of these I will present what I know and can usually link you to information to back that. Am I in those other city's forums talking about Greenville? No, usually not. I don't have an issue with you not liking Greenville or something here. But when you come in here and say we have a inferiority complex I'm going to snap back at you. We don't have a complex just because people come in here like you do and we set the record straight. You came here. We didn't come to you. Do you have a superiority complex? You came in this forum to try to set us straight in our own forum as if you're trying to straighten up a little brother or kid. We aren't inferior to you or anyone else just because you live in a bigger city. Most of us do very well here and can live pretty much where we want. We choose this area. So if you say we have an inferiority complex and I say you have a superiority complex, which is worse? At least I'm in right forum for the city being discussed. I didn't come to you.

Old 01-13-2024, 03:51 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
I believe I have seen your comments in the Columbia and SC forums. So, I have the same rights that you do. And I promise you that my comments regarding Greenville are far more kind than your comments regarding Columbia and Asheville. I believe you just don’t like people coming to the Greenville forum and challenging you and your comments.
I've had issues with one or two posters. You are acting like one of those. He got banned. I haven't ever been banned and get along with most people here. As long as they are sensible. I've never without cause attacked any other city. I have defended the one I'm in and that isn't going to change when someone presents information that is incorrect.

Old 01-14-2024, 09:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
It is okay for a city to have an downtown ice cream shop or gift shop, but Greenville has multiple gift shops, multiple ice cream shops, multiple cookie, candy shops. Greenville has multiple antique shops downtown. This is indicative to me that the downtown shops have been chosen to serve the weekend tourist.
And you're saying that this isn't okay in Greenville's case or something?

Not sure what you mean those particular shops were "chosen" to serve downtown tourists. It's simply a matter of supply and demand. And those shops may be "overrepresented" but they don't constitute the majority of restaurants and retail downtown, many of which have largely local clienteles.

I also have yet to see any real life negative feedback Greenville gets for having such shops downtown. That's a new one to me.

Quote:
The shops are an anomaly for a city like Greenville- industrial csa with 1.5 million residents. Disney represents magic or slight of the hand or an anomaly.
So instead of setting itself apart and developing some sense of uniqueness, it should've instead scrapped all of that in favor of being just like everybody else? I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here (or how it pertains to the OP for that matter).

Quote:
As I stated earlier, the great downtowns are in big cities but people in those cities are not buying magazines to read about an accolade given to their downtown. But people in smaller cities will buy these magazines to read the articles.
In the South, it's the opposite. The great downtowns are typically in small and midsized cities whereas the big city downtowns (Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, etc) tend to be lacking. New Orleans is arguably at the top of the heap in the South as far as downtowns go, and Charleston and Savannah are typically mentioned in the very next breath. After that, it's something of a toss-up with the likes of Nashville, Chattanooga, Greenville, Asheville, Louisville, Richmond, Alexandria, St. Petersburg, Miami Beach, Austin, San Antonio, etc. in the mix.

Who still buys actual magazines in 2024? Lol...people just browse such lists online for the rankings and keep it moving. The actual awards downtown Greenville has won, as opposed to simply landing in the top 10 of a random "best of" list on a website, tend to carry the most clout in urban planning/civic circles, such as the Great American Main Street Award (which Greenville won in 2003), the American Planning Association's Great Places in America Award (2009), the ULI Urban Open Space Awards (2010 finalist) and the Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence (2015). And none of them have magazines to peddle lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area