Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2024, 10:02 AM
 
37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Reputation: 27279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I've had issues with one or two posters. You are acting like one of those. He got banned. I haven't ever been banned and get along with most people here. As long as they are sensible. I've never without cause attacked any other city. I have defended the one I'm in and that isn't going to change when someone presents information that is incorrect.
I can vouch for you here as you are undoubtedly one of the most congenial posters on the SC forum. You do a great job of defending Greenville when necessary without unfairly slighting other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2024, 10:29 AM
 
37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Reputation: 27279
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I believe I have seen your comments in the Columbia and SC forums. So, I have the same rights that you do. And I promise you that my comments regarding Greenville are far more kind than your comments regarding Columbia and Asheville. I believe you just don’t like people coming to the Greenville forum and challenging you and your comments.
Let's keep it a buck here: the only poster you're butting heads with regularly is LakeMan45. But the problem is that you oftentimes (not always but often) choose to make general posts insinuating that your spats with him are reflective of the posters in this forum in general instead of replying to LakeMan45's posts directly to challenge the points of disagreement you have with him specifically. So of course others who aren't at all guilty of what you charge the posters here with collectively, like DSMRE, will push back against your accusations and rightfully so.

Honestly it just looks like you have an axe to grind against Greenville for reasons unknown, and then you use the ongoing friction you're having with LakeMan45 to mischaracterize the posters here in general and then justify taking cheap shots at Greenville as a place. I don't understand why defending Charlotte or correcting misinformation about it requires you to also take jabs at Greenville all the while acting as though you're impartial when you're clearly not. We all have our biases of whatever sort and it's perfectly fine to own them instead of pretending as though your recurring "Disneyland downtown" slight constitutes an objective assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2024, 01:03 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 14 days ago)
 
731 posts, read 347,229 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I have never stated that Greenville has not seen a transplant until 5 years ago. You guys are so funny because you misread almost everything I write. I have only given US Census Bureau data. The data is what it is. But facts are facts. Greenville county has grown by approximately 70k residents each of the last two decades. These two decades kicked off Greenville’s more explosive growth. So, no the growth has not been that explosive and certainly not for too long. Maybe this is why you don’t like my comments. Maybe you don’t like facts . Maybe you prefer subjective opinions better than facts.
I don't have a problem with your comments. I'm a gentle soul. Some of them are interesting because I've never seen them before like the idea people in Greenville drive and eat slow.

I posted a week ago Greenville tripled in size between 1900-1930 according to a historian who works at the Greenville musuem and Furman University. Tripling population in three decades is explosive growth. https://www.southcarolinapublicradio...nd-world-war-i

Greenville has had explosive growth compared to most cities in this country for the last century. She also refers to Greenville as a New South city while talking about the city 100 years ago.

Your comments such as people in the south walk slow, drive slower than people from the north don't seem like facts. I believe Greenville holds it own in the number of speeding tickets received on an annual basis with Charlotte and cities up north.

I've always had the impression drivers in Greenville are listening to Cake's song Going The Distance while driving because we are going so fast it is like an obsession. I pull off the road all the time to let tailgaters pass me.

There is a reason why The Dukes Of Hazard was set in the south, not the north. If you say people in Greenville are more southern than people in Charlotte, that makes me think we are more like Bo and Luke Duke. That show wouldn't have been a hit if the Dukes were slowpokes. The Dukes were running from the law.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-14-2024 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2024, 02:05 PM
 
5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can vouch for you here as you are undoubtedly one of the most congenial posters on the SC forum. You do a great job of defending Greenville when necessary without unfairly slighting other cities.
Thank you. You are as always one of the most clear and concise posters here. Everything you've posted has always been correct. You are very good at setting records straight. I've seen you do it for many years in many different forums. You are knowledgeable and fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2024, 02:08 PM
 
5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I don't have a problem with your comments. I'm a gentle soul. Some of them are interesting because I've never seen them before like the idea people in Greenville drive and eat slow.

I posted a week ago Greenville tripled in size between 1900-1930 according to a historian who works at the Greenville musuem and Furman University. Tripling population in three decades is explosive growth. https://www.southcarolinapublicradio...nd-world-war-i

Greenville has had explosive growth compared to most cities in this country for the last century. She also refers to Greenville as a New South city while talking about the city 100 years ago.

Your comments such as people in the south walk slow, drive slower than people from the north don't seem like facts. I believe Greenville holds it own in the number of speeding tickets received on an annual basis with Charlotte and cities up north.

I've always had the impression drivers in Greenville are listening to Cake's song Going The Distance while driving because we are going so fast it is like an obsession. I pull off the road all the time to let tailgaters pass me.

There is a reason why The Dukes Of Hazard was set in the south, not the north. If you say people in Greenville are more southern than people in Charlotte, that makes me think we are more like Bo and Luke Duke. That show wouldn't have been a hit if the Dukes were slowpokes. The Dukes were running from the law.
I agree with most you've posted here. Greenville driver's definitely don't drive slow. They actually need to slow down. It has the most fatal accidents in SC. That's nothing to be proud of, but it's truth. And Greenville has indeed had strong growth. Not sure what QC is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2024, 11:06 PM
 
15 posts, read 11,391 times
Reputation: 10
How about crime scene in n GVL. While driving around I saw some really beautiful houses/ almost mansions and suddenly a run down lot followed by another beautiful house.
Are there lots of land lots being sold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2024, 12:53 AM
 
5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromMN0 View Post
How about crime scene in n GVL. While driving around I saw some really beautiful houses/ almost mansions and suddenly a run down lot followed by another beautiful house.
Are there lots of land lots being sold?
Gentrification. Many of those lots are or will be redeveloped into something nicer. It's apart of the change that has been going on for years now. The city of Greenville is trying to clean up anything within it's boundaries. The issue is, much of the urban area lies outside of the city limits because it compasses a very small area. Like 29 square miles, but can't easily annex the urban area that sits around it. That area is governed by the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2024, 07:56 AM
 
15 posts, read 11,391 times
Reputation: 10
So county and city must have different visions. I can't remember where exactly but I observed it throughout the city of gvl, Simpsonville, Greer and more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2024, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Greer
2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Reputation: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromMN0 View Post
How about crime scene in n GVL. While driving around I saw some really beautiful houses/ almost mansions and suddenly a run down lot followed by another beautiful house.
Are there lots of land lots being sold?
I moved here 25+ years ago but that was one interesting thing I noticed - in some other places of this country you have to drive a while to get from the expensive houses to the not expensive houses. Here, especially if you drive around more rural areas, people will literally build a $700k home right next to or across from a trailer.

Last edited by gvsteve; 01-15-2024 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2024, 10:36 AM
 
5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromMN0 View Post
So county and city must have different visions. I can't remember where exactly but I observed it throughout the city of gvl, Simpsonville, Greer and more
Greenville City has traditionally been more forward thinking than the county. And they've done a much better job dealing with the growth. The county is slowly coming around. Would be interesting to see what it would be like if they consolidated like some city-county governments have. And of course Simpsonville, Greer, Mauldin, TR etc are suburbs that have their own governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top