Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2024, 04:33 AM

292 posts, read 344,652 times

Advertisements

So let me get this straight, SC raised the gas tax in 2022 in order to "fix the roads." Now Greenville is saying they need to increase the sales tax to "fix the roads." They keep raising our taxes but never fix the roads. When will people wake up to this scam?

And this on top of Greenville county just raising our property taxes last year!

Vote NO if this gets onto the ballot in November!

https://www.wyff4.com/article/greenv...roads/46874940
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:36 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 14 days ago)

730 posts, read 346,005 times
It is surprising people want to increase gas and sales taxes that impact lower income people the most, especially with the cost of gas and inflation.

The state should tie road funding to income tax instead.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:59 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
So let me get this straight, SC raised the gas tax in 2022 in order to "fix the roads." Now Greenville is saying they need to increase the sales tax to "fix the roads." They keep raising our taxes but never fix the roads. When will people wake up to this scam?

If you go back and find the forum discussion on this, you will find a few members, such as myself, that told everyone this would happen. Of course there are plenty here that have no problem throwing theirs (and your) money away and will happily endorse another tax increase.

Old 02-21-2024, 03:16 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post

It might not be such a bad idea, and here's why:

Some on this forum are protective of the SCDOT; I am not, and I have no intention of engaging anyone in a debate. But in my view, the SCDOT needs a complete overhaul: for example, locally, a turning circle is in the process of being installed: the turn around time for the project was ridiculously long, yet the project was just extended another six months, because of "weather related delays."

Our area has been in a near record drought.

There is seemingly little, if any, activity going on, in an area where homes are largely self sufficient (each house has a well and a septic system); few utilities needed relocation to get the project under foot.

And I could go on and on...

The saving grace over the pitiful conditions of our roads has been the County in which I live - that being York County - which has independently studied, and funded, projects apart from SCDOT: without local engagement, my area would have been in much worse state than it already is.

That the State raised gas taxes, in a State where disbursement of funds is notoriously poor, is an insult to residents.

Best bet is to have local engagement, and local accountability.

SC does a lot right, in my view, and I appreciate the Governor's initiative to increase teacher's salaries. But SCDOT, in my view, needs an overhaul.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:16 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
But in my view, the SCDOT needs a complete overhaul:
Haley went head to head against the powerful SCDOT in an attempt at reorganization. McMaster verbally supported that effort back in the day, but he is content with the SCDOT as it stands today.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:14 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Haley went head to head against the powerful SCDOT in an attempt at reorganization. McMaster verbally supported that effort back in the day, but he is content with the SCDOT as it stands today.
It's nice to know that Haley attempted to reform the process. It befuddles me that McMaster acknowledges that a problem exists, yet he hasn't done anything to ameliorate the situation.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:11 AM

130 posts, read 76,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
It's nice to know that Haley attempted to reform the process. It befuddles me that McMaster acknowledges that a problem exists, yet he hasn't done anything to ameliorate the situation.
New to the politics thing? That's kinda how it works. They state how things need to change and promise things will change in order to get elected, and then do nothing to fix it so that they can get re-elected later on by saying how things need to change and promising to do it. That's generally how the majority of politicians handle it. Not just one side, either. Both sides are pretty notorious for promising change in order to get elected, then doing little to nothing so that they can get re-elected on the same issues.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:01 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 14 days ago)

730 posts, read 346,005 times
Haley appointed Christy Hall to the Sec of Transportation position.

She retired with praise this year. https://apnews.com/article/scdot-chr...169b60d65a0cdd

Old 02-22-2024, 05:14 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
I’m voting yes if it’s on the ballot.

Remember that groceries, pharmaceuticals, and gas would not be included in this proposed penny sales tax. The proposed tax is slated to raise $131 million annually. The state having one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation until recently caused a lot of projects that should have gotten done to get deferred due to the lack of funding. Gonna take a while for the state to catch up to the backlog and even longer without this extra funding.

In early 2024, Greenville County staff engaged SCDOT and the mayors and administrators of the six municipalities to develop a list of high-priority intersection, safety, corridor, and resurfacing projects within their respective jurisdictions.

This map is the result of this collaborative effort: https://gcscgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps...rue&theme=dark

It shows potential bridge (blue star), intersection (gold star), corridor (blue and gold lines), and resurfacing (red line) projects across Greenville County. (Note: this map only shows the highest priority resurfacing projects.) These projects would address some of the most dangerous roads and intersections in the county as well as major traffic bottlenecks and deficient bridges.

While all of these projects are important to the safety and welfare of our community, none of them are currently funded. Without an alternate funding source for transportation improvements, few, if any, of these projects are likely to be funded in the foreseeable future.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:30 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
The sales tax increase for roads was rejected by voters in 2014. All I know is things are much more expensive for families now vs. 2014 so good luck with that.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/greenv...crease/6775815
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area