Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2024, 01:21 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,317,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
thank you.....it did seem to be the case that towns/cities are relatively close to one another. Like here, but you have more development (not necessarily a bad thing). Here we just have little burgs with not much going on. I'd like to find a nice senior community, over 55, something like that. i wonder if I missed my window of opportunity (before COVID). Trying to play a month long road trip to wander around again.
Take a trip down to visit us if you get the chance to. You may find what you're looking for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 08:57 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 10 days ago)

727 posts, read 342,641 times
You might consider the Greenwood area. It is about a hour south of Greenville away from interstates.

Many of the 50 and under workers in Greenwood live in the Greenville suburbs like Simpsonville. This keeps traffic fairly light in Greenwood. There are not many new neighborhoods. The area is heavily forested.

It's an under the radar retirement area due to Lake Greenwood.

Abbeville 15 minutes west of Greenwood is smaller. It has a nice downtown.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:16 AM

292 posts, read 344,370 times
Quote:
A penny tax is started by the council—who drafts the resolution and creates the commission. But finished by you—who will vote “yes” or “no.” However, some voters and council leaders have lingering concerns from the past.

“It doesn’t seem like a safety thing, and it certainly doesn’t seem like a hurry to spend this amount of money, so what’s the hurry?” asked Councilman Steve Shaw who attended the meeting virtually.

Shaw and Stan Tzouvelekas both expressed concern about the process and how the money would be spent.

“What is on the ballot is the only thing that the money can be spent for. So when voters will have an opportunity to read through every single solitary project and they can say yes or no, and if they say yes those are the only things that we can spend the money on,” said Seman.

Staff estimates a capital penny tax would generate $131 million a year—$1 billion over 8 years. Unlike 10 years ago when voters said “no” this time leaders are leaning toward the option that doesn’t tax groceries.

“I think this time we don’t want to make that mistake again,” said Fant.

The tax they’re considering is similar to the one Spartanburg voters approved last year. where all of the revenue would just go to roads.

“And I think there’ll be some lively debate tomorrow but ultimately for me it’s about the fact that we’re letting the citizens decide,” Seman said.

The discussion on whether or not to create the penny tax advisory commission will be Tuesday during the council’s committee of the whole meeting at 4:45pm. In order to make a list of priority projects they need your feedback. You can submit problem roadways online right now and check out a new website to learn about the county’s road problems.
https://www.foxcarolina.com/2024/03/...s-past-linger/

Old 03-11-2024, 04:10 PM

The city tweeted this out

City of Greenville
@CityGreenville

Greenville City Council recognized retiring SCDOT Secretary Christy Hall. During her 30 years with the agency Hall quadrupled the amount of road and bridge work in SC. In 2022, she persuaded legislators to put an additional $600 million into the state road system.
@scdotpress

Old 03-14-2024, 02:16 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
New to the politics thing? That's kinda how it works. They state how things need to change and promise things will change in order to get elected, and then do nothing to fix it so that they can get re-elected later on by saying how things need to change and promising to do it. That's generally how the majority of politicians handle it. Not just one side, either. Both sides are pretty notorious for promising change in order to get elected, then doing little to nothing so that they can get re-elected on the same issues.
In SC's case, this is an issue that is notoriously bad, in an otherwise well run State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
It's hard to understand why so many companies and people move to or choose to stay in Greenville if the roads are terrible, unless the roads are terrible everywhere.

I would prefer for our roads to be worse to deter people from moving here. The number of people moving here is the real problem in my view. That includes people from states that ostensibly have superior infrastructure.
Greenville's likely my favorite City now, in the entire US, because of her natural and economic advantages.

Every time I visit Downtown, there's another reason for me to marvel: it's clean, attractive, and the older homes that surround downtown are charming. There's lots of retail, wide sidewalks, and a diversity of food choices. Lots of beautiful parks...

I do agree that it wouldn't be a bad thing for SC's growth to slow down.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:46 AM

I've been in Greenville or other Upstate city most of the past 30 years.

I've never heard people talk about the roads much other than traffic on Woodruff. Can't imagine there is any road with high density of retail like Woodruff that has little traffic congestion.

If roads are better in NC and other states, seems like you could
find a city as nice as Greenville in them.

The US is the third most populated country and immigrants are coming in droves. If seems like many of the people unhappy with roads support unlimited immigration. Church St will likely be a 12 lane interstate in 30 years, right over our parks.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 03-15-2024 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-16-2024, 12:30 AM
NDL

Quote:

I've never heard people talk about the roads much other than traffic on Woodruff. Can't imagine there is any road with high density of retail like Woodruff that has little traffic congestion.

The US is the third most populated country and immigrants are coming in droves. If seems like many of the people unhappy with roads support unlimited immigration. Church St will likely be a 12 lane interstate in 30 years, right over our parks.
I just said several nice things about Greenville, yet you replied somewhat antagonistically.

Why?

If someone complains about several aspects of life in SC, I could then understand your stance. But is someone allowed to like several aspects of SC, and not care for a single aspect?

Old 03-16-2024, 08:36 AM

It's not antagonistic to share a sincere opinion.

I'm from a small town but I don't think about the roads in Greenville. I use them every day. Traffic situation seems like it is what it should be given the population and the high density of retail.

Most people iwho are content living in Charlotte would be able to handle Greenville SC roads and traffic.

The roads and traffic situation in Greenville are as good as they are ever going to be because more people will be moving in.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 03-16-2024 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-16-2024, 12:20 PM
NDL

Quote:
It's not antagonistic to share a sincere opinion.

I'm from a small town but I don't think about the roads in Greenville. I use them every day. Traffic situation seems like it is what it should be given the population and the high density of retail.

Most people iwho are content living in Charlotte would be able to handle Greenville SC roads and traffic.

The roads and traffic situation in Greenville are as good as they are ever going to be because more people will be moving in.
If Greenville's population were stagnant, I would have little concern over the roads.

The Woodruff situation is being addressed - not in a way that I would propose, I might add - and Hwy 14 through Simpsonville is a nightmare.

But as I had mentioned earlier: the Greenville area has a number of solid, unique, virtues: among them, that Greenville's architecture is uniquely handsome.

I have really taken to the area...

Old 03-16-2024, 01:06 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:

This is a pretty bold statement. Is there any information or stats that support this? For instance, I don't support illegal immigration; not sure what you mean by unlimited. But I do support some immigration legally as my fiancee is from another country. All of us are descendants of immigrants. The natives should be complaining the most. And roads need improvements in pretty much every city at some point. Not saying Greenville's are the worst or best. I'm just familiar with them, so I know how to take easier paths.

Last edited by DSMRE; 03-16-2024 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area