Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 09:15 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Charlotte and Raleigh areas have experienced large numbers of transplants from the northeast for a number of years. Large numbers of transplants can change an area in a number of ways such as the way the residents of an area drive, experience entertainment, dine out, and talk. It can make an area more fast paced. It can change the culture of an area. Charlotte has experience a bit of a culture change I think.
I very much agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 03:56 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 10 days ago)

727 posts, read 342,641 times
Both of you have said Charlotte is more fast paced than Greenville but you are spending time looking at a forum about Greenville and making posts about it. In my daily life, I never hear anybody talking about Charlotte other than they might go there for a football game occasionally.

You can't explain what makes life in Charlotte more fast paced than life in Greenville. Banking jobs come to mind when I think of Charlotte but banking jobs don't seem exciting.

You have not revealed what metro the same size as Greenville or larger has better infrastucture and traffic flow. I assume you think Charlotte does but you won't say it on here.

It is surprising a person who grew up outside of Manhattan and chooses to live in Charlotte has a severe problem with traffic in Greenville SC.

You've said there is a lack of signage but there are road signs all over the place. If you live in Greenville, you shouldn't need road signs to get around. You can buy a GPS if you are struggling.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-13-2023 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-14-2023, 08:00 AM

Tax Foundation indicates NC has the highest gas tax in the southeast. In theory, the roads should be better in a high gas tax state. It's probably a good idea to move to a high gas tax state if you have any concerns about roads in SC.

SC gas tax is at 28 cents per gallon which is 8 cents higher than Texas, one of the wealthiest states.

People who like paying high taxes are more likely to be unhappy living in Greenville. The state raised the gas tax by 12 cents in 2017. It seems like residents and non residents who supported that increase don't think the roads have improved. They generally don't mention the 385 85 interchange upgrade which was one of the biggest infrastructure projects in the country the last decade.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:34 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,757,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Both of you have said Charlotte is more fast paced than Greenville but you are spending time looking at a forum about Greenville and making posts about it. In my daily life, I never hear anybody talking about Charlotte other than they might go there for a football game occasionally.

You can't explain what makes life in Charlotte more fast paced than life in Greenville. Banking jobs come to mind when I think of Charlotte but banking jobs don't seem exciting.

You have not revealed what metro the same size as Greenville or larger has better infrastucture and traffic flow. I assume you think Charlotte does but you won't say it on here.

It is surprising a person who grew up outside of Manhattan and chooses to live in Charlotte has a severe problem with traffic in Greenville SC.

You've said there is a lack of signage but there are road signs all over the place. If you live in Greenville, you shouldn't need road signs to get around. You can buy a GPS if you are struggling.
Charlotte has a football team?

Old 12-14-2023, 08:12 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Charlotte has a football team?
It used to until John Tepper bought it.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:33 AM

Clemson when it plays in ACC title game.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:25 AM

121 posts, read 92,894 times
A friend of mine was part of the family that sold the Rock Hill property to Tepper.He described him as the most arrogantly selfish individual he had ever met.

Old 12-15-2023, 03:24 PM
NDL

Quote:
You can't explain what makes life in Charlotte more fast paced than life in Greenville.
Is this Clemvegas?

QC explained it: Charlotte's inhabited by a lot of former Northeasterners, and the City has taken on the character of her current residents.

Charlotte is no longer a majority Southern city, and hasn't been for quite awhile.

Quote:
You have not revealed what metro the same size as Greenville or larger has better infrastucture and traffic flow.
That's irrelevant.

Quote:
Did I say traffic?

Quote:
You've said there is a lack of signage but there are road signs all over the place.
And the signage on local streets in Greenville County is poor.

What's interesting is that in spite of the compliments I have paid Greenville, you're narrowing in on my one complaint.

Old 12-15-2023, 04:31 PM

The topic is about infrastracture and growth. I didn't narrow it to that topic.

You chose to expand the topic to to talk about your love of the downtown area. I don't question you like the downtown. The downtown gets a strong hold on a large number of people who would not have interest in Greenville otherwise. It is hard to imagine a "fast paced" Charlotte person expressing disappointment in Greenville's roads if the downtown was less appealing.

I don't understand how people from the north are more fast paced than people from the south. You haven't defined what fast paced means. It sound like you are trying to say people from the north are more sophisticated and energetic than people from the south. It doesn't sound good.

A city is southern if it is located in the south. Southern is a directional word. Charlotte has a NASCAR race and I believe a NASCAR Hall of Fame. Many people still associate NASCAR with the south although it went national. Greenville doesn't have NASCAR.

If you compare Greenville to the Old South, it is the exact opposite. To say it is more Southern than Charlotte doesn't make any sense because Greenville isn' tlike the Old South at all.

Basically the only lasting legacy of the Old South is social security. SC basically voted 100% for FDR so our ancestors had a big role in giving us social security. I think most young people in Greenville if given the option would opt out of social security payments so we could invest our money in osmething with a "faster paced" return. If you want to opt out of FDR's greatest legacy, you can't be Old South. The Old South people wouldn't let us in their club.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-15-2023 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-15-2023, 09:46 PM
NDL

Quote:
It is hard to imagine a "fast paced" Charlotte person expressing disappointment in Greenville's roads if the downtown was less appealing.
Who said that I like a fast pace?

Quote:
I don't understand how people from the north are more fast paced than people from the south.
Clem.

Have you not heard the phrase: "in a New York minute?"

Quote:
It sound like you are trying to say people from the north are more sophisticated and energetic than people from the south.
Certainly not.

Quote:
A city is southern if it is located in the south.
Using that logic, can we say that Indian restaurants aren't Indian, if they're in the South? Or bodega's don't have a Latino influence, because they're in the South?

The fact is, that Northeasterners, and people from Mid Atlantic States, displaced Charlotteans. And the way in which said people comport themselves is similar to that of their home States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area