Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 03:00 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 13 days ago)

729 posts, read 345,256 times

Advertisements

Is there anybody who considers how fast people walk, talk, eat in a metro before relocating there? Even if this is true, it doesn't seem important.

I've live in Greenville and done short term assignments in Charlotte and New Jersey outside of Manhattan. I did not notice a general difference in how fast people do things.

Many of the notherners who retire in Florida are probably not living fast paced lives compared to young people who are working and raising kids in Greenville SC. Father Time is undefeated.

How many people do you know living in Greenville SC?

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-20-2023 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 03:40 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I read an article from a New Yorker about being fast paced. She said is about being fast paced at everything such as having your payment ready when you get to the cashier, walking fast, talking fast, eating fast, etc. my point is that the more of the northeastern people in your area then the more fast paced it becomes. See Atlanta. It has experienced 60 years of explosive growth from northeastern states. Charlotte has only seen about 30 years. Florida is another good example. Is Florida a southern state?
I do all of these fast. And I was born and raised in the South.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:45 PM

15 posts, read 11,339 times
Could someone talk about IT / tech jobs in the area. People are working remotely and enjoying better quality of life in GV. I am wondering about
local IT job market.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Hey, I am not trying to be argumentative, but I do want to clarify my prior comments. First, I am Southern myself. When I referred to the Greenville area as being more southern than its two NC counterparts, I was not referring to politics. I did suggest that Greenville is probably a bit more conservative. When I said that it is more conservative, I did mean it is more conservative politically. But when I said that it is more southern, I was not referring to politics.

Charlotte and Raleigh areas have experienced large numbers of transplants from the northeast for a number of years. Large numbers of transplants can change an area in a number of ways such as the way the residents of an area drive, experience entertainment, dine out, and talk. It can make an area more fast paced. It can change the culture of an area. Charlotte has experience a bit of a culture change I think. International transplants can effect an even larger change to an area. That is why I said that being less southern in not necessarily a benefit for everyone. It is a personal choice.

Nobody said that Grernville is not growing. But I believe more rapid growth is a more recent phenomenon to Greenville. Many southern cities began experiencing steady growth after WWII. Greenville was one of those cities.

But I stated that Charlotte and Raleigh have experienced explosive growth for a longer time. Charlotte Mecklenburg County grew by over 100k between 1950 and 1960. That growth continued but with slightly less of an increase during the decades from 1960 to 1990. Then in 1990, explosive growth began. And between 1990 and 2000, Mecklenburg County grew by approximately 195k, between 2000-2010, Mecklenburg grew by approximately 225k, and between 2010-2020 it grew by approximately 195k. It grew from 511,433 in 1990 to 1, 115, 482 in 2020. Raleigh and Wake has experienced similar growth.

Greenville County did not experience growth of nearly 70k per decade until 2000. From 2000-2010 and from 2010-2020, Greenville County grew by approximately 70k per decade. So, as I stated earlier, Greenville County has not experience rapid growth for as long as its counterparts. And Greenville County has not experienced the very explosive growth that its counterparts have experienced.

So, Greenville’s explosive growth has been for considerably less time, and Greenville has never experienced the very explosive growth of its counterparts. So, the point is these transplants from other states and in particular from the northeast can dramatically change the culture of a region from more southern to less southern. And, in addition, these transplants can make an area less conservative politically also. And international transplants can effect more dramatic change.

In my opinion, Greenville is in the early stages of this more rapid growth, and it has not had the time to effect large change on Greenville politically or culturally. That is yet to come if the growth continues or ramps up even more.
https://www.southcarolinapublicradio...nd-world-war-i

This new book about Greenville titled Our Country First, Then Greenville - A New South City During the Progressive Era and World War I indicates the population of Greenville tripled between 1900 and 1930. The New South expression is used to differentiate from what you are describing as southern. One of the big differences between the north and south back in the day was the north had more industry and the south was primarily agriculture. Greenville was one of the first cities in the south to industrialize.

A city in the south could not have industrialized without transplants from the north who had skills and experience in industry.

Old 01-03-2024, 01:20 PM

15 posts, read 11,339 times
I visited GV over the holiday week for a coupel of days. Drove around the downtown, five forks, woodruf road shops. Explored subrubs of GV, simpsonville , Greer.
I loved downtown for it's small town feel. Very different from twin cities, MN where there are multiple shopping complexes and things are decentralized vs things being centralized on woodruf road for shops, groceries, restaurants, gyms etc.
Prices are pretty stiff on houses in good areas with good school. Didn't expect so much construction going around all over the city in all directions.
Overall liked what I saw

Old 01-04-2024, 10:59 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,538 times
There’s a lot of construction in the area because people are moving here. It’s a very desirable area. Low taxes and great quality of life. Fortunately, I got down here before the prices of real estate exploded. It’s still much cheaper here than up north. At least where I came from.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:09 AM

615 posts, read 537,467 times
Do some of the people in Greenville have an inferiority complex regarding their city? I think so. They often display it when being critical of Columbia and Charleston. And it has certainly been on display in this particular forum. Have you noticed that everything in Greenville has got to better than Columbia, Charleston, and Asheville? Greenville is cleaner, and bigger with more to do than Asheville. In the past, I have read here that its airport is bigger. And, of course, Greenville County is the most populous in the state. And the city is actually bigger than its city population indicates. How many times have I read that? And Greenville’s downtown is bigger than Columbia’s according to some. And the downtown has the only waterfall downtown in the US. And the Greenville CSA is the largest in the state. Hey, settle down people, Greenville does not have to be the biggest and best at everything.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Greenville is cleaner, and bigger with more to do than Asheville. In the past, I have read here that its airport is bigger. And, of course, Greenville County is the most populous in the state. And the city is actually bigger than its city population indicates. How many times have I read that? And And the downtown has the only waterfall downtown in the US. And the Greenville CSA is the largest in the state. Hey, settle down people, Greenville does not have to be the biggest and best at everything.
Isn't this all objectively true? Stating true things about a city on a forum called City Data isn't evidence of an "inferiority complex".

Greenville is the only US city with a waterfall in the middle of the business district to my knowledge. A few cities like Spokane and Sioux Falls have a waterfall adjacent to downtown.

You stated on this topic that Greenville has an award winning downtown. You didn't say this about Charlotte and Raleigh despite talking about those cities. Another Charlotte resident praised downtown Greenville as well without discussing Charlotte and Raleigh's downtown. You touted the downtown even though the topic is about infrastructure and growth. Greenville gets hyped up by people who don't live here all of the time.

There are people including natives who think SC is inferior to states like NC regarding things like roads and schools. A case could be made they have an inferiority complex but there's no reason to make a negative characterization like that. I've heard NC residents and fans say NC is better than SC my whole life.

I can't recall anybody in Greenville talking about Columbia other than they might go down to the zoo or a USC football game. Columbia doesn't get much hype.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-11-2024 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-11-2024, 01:41 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Do some of the people in Greenville have an inferiority complex regarding their city? I think so. They often display it when being critical of Columbia and Charleston. And it has certainly been on display in this particular forum. Have you noticed that everything in Greenville has got to better than Columbia, Charleston, and Asheville? Greenville is cleaner, and bigger with more to do than Asheville. In the past, I have read here that its airport is bigger. And, of course, Greenville County is the most populous in the state. And the city is actually bigger than its city population indicates. How many times have I read that? And Greenville’s downtown is bigger than Columbia’s according to some. And the downtown has the only waterfall downtown in the US. And the Greenville CSA is the largest in the state. Hey, settle down people, Greenville does not have to be the biggest and best at everything.
Other than the downtown portion, what part of it isn't true? I can live in any of those areas and I choose this one. Too me it is better. I like it better than your Charlotte too GSP101.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:09 AM

I think many people in Greenville, especially right leaning people, would prefer it to be less populated. People who care about population numbers seem to be urbanist government oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area