Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2024, 07:55 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Do some of the people in Greenville have an inferiority complex regarding their city? I think so. They often display it when being critical of Columbia and Charleston. And it has certainly been on display in this particular forum. Have you noticed that everything in Greenville has got to better than Columbia, Charleston, and Asheville? Greenville is cleaner, and bigger with more to do than Asheville. In the past, I have read here that its airport is bigger. And, of course, Greenville County is the most populous in the state. And the city is actually bigger than its city population indicates. How many times have I read that? And Greenville’s downtown is bigger than Columbia’s according to some. And the downtown has the only waterfall downtown in the US. And the Greenville CSA is the largest in the state. Hey, settle down people, Greenville does not have to be the biggest and best at everything.
I’ll take it over Charlotte any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 08:11 PM

615 posts, read 537,928 times
First let me state that I don’t even know GSP101. I used to read his comments here and in Columbia forum. But he finally gave up posting in this forum. I have not seen a post from him in ages. I will say that the Greenville forum is second to only Raleigh in homerism. I don’t have anything against greenvillleand even complimented your downtown. I posted the original post regarding Greenville csa becoming 38th most populous in US. But I have found that people including me cannot give you a compliment without it being taken out of context. I complimented your downtown then someone says that in nc they don’t pay much attention to their downtowns. Well unlike some on this board, I try not to be a booster for Charlotte. But sometimes you force it with your backhanded comments. And by the way, someone created a thread that Greenville is the new Charleston and Charleston is broken. What a joke that is. As far as downtown Charlotte goes, I think it is doing quite well with 6 Fortune 500 companies with corporate HQ in downtown and Wells Fargo has their east coast HQ in downtown. And Lowe’s, another Fortune 500 company based in mooresville has 2k employees at its downtown tech center. These 7 companies employ 55k of the 120k workers downtown. Plus another 30k residents live downtown. Plus another 300 restaurants and bars downtown. Plus add almost 10k downtown and south end hotels when all are finished up. Greenville county has 9k hotel rooms. So, I think any reasonable person would surmise that the jobs, hotels, and restaurants combined with 2 performing arts centers, several museums, an nfl stadium, an nba arena, and a AAA baseball stadium is preferred over a Disneyland downtown with a waterfall. Downtown Greenville has 13k residents and 20k employees. I am not being critical of downtown Greenville and some may prefer it. But the downtown reminds me of downtown Savannah or st Augustine. Some may prefer that to a commercial hub that provides many high paying jobs.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:49 PM

So according to a few of the homers in this forum, there is no difference in Charlotte today than 30 years ago and no difference in Charlotte and Greenville since both are southern. Well Charlotte’s MSA population has added approximately 1.2 million new residents over the last 30 years. That is more than twice the existing population of Greenville county. And I have been reminded time and again that Greenville is the most populous county in the state. Yet, this population change has not changed Charlotte and it is still like Greenville according to a few on this forum. 30 years ago Charlotte had no bar districts and today it has 6. 30 years ago most people drove the speed limit or slightly over maybe 10 over at most. Today there are far too
many ultra speeders on highways. 30 years ago few people ran red lights but today you had better clear the intersection before entering. Mecklenburg county has voted democratic at a 68 percent rate over the last several
presidential elections while Greenville county is usually around 30 percent over the last several elections. Today Charlotte has the largest gay pride parade between DC and ATL with well over 100k participants. That would not have been possible 30years ago. And Charlotte has been labeled the next black Mecca. Last year Charlotte had the highest percentage increase of black residents in the US. Charlotte’s mayor, head district attorney, police chief, city manager, fire chief, and the head of the Charlotte Mecklenburg schools are all black. This would not have been possible 30 years ago. The Charlotte csa is the 6th fastest growing in the US when measuring absolute population growth. This would not have been possible 30 years ago. So, when looking at the facts, Charlotte is nothing like it was 30 years ago. And the Charlotte city and region are much more diverse than it was 30 years ago. And it is much more diverse than the Greenville area by far. Greenville is still overwhelmingly white. Greenville is still 66% white, 23 % black, 2 % Hispanic and 2% Asian. Charlotte is 40 percent white, 35 percent black, 15 percent Hispanic, and 6 percent Asian. Charlotte does not resemble itself from 30 years ago And Charlotte does not resemble Greenville that much any more.,

Old 01-12-2024, 09:05 PM

So, those that were saying there is no difference in Charlotte and Greenville, what are you basing your info on? 15 years ago somebody visited Charlotte for a weekend? Or maybe somebody lived in Charlotte 20 years ago for a few months? I would like to see data suggesting that Charlotte has not changed in 30 years and Charlotte and Greenville are still alike. This is typical of false info that I often see on this site. You love to hype your Disneyland downtown but it only offers 20k jobs. And while I do believe that it suits a percentage of the population that is primarily white and conservative. It is what you have to hang your hat on in Greenville. But I will assure you that a Disneyland downtown is not for everyone. And while I do pull for Greenville because I think it is similar to Charlotte in many ways 50-60 or more years ago. But I must say that the constant homerism and bashing of other cities to build up your little Greenville gets very stale because it is constant. I don’t know GSP101 but I can sort of see why he turned on you.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I think many people in Greenville, especially right leaning people, would prefer it to be less populated. People who care about population numbers seem to be urbanist government oriented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
https://www.southcarolinapublicradio...nd-world-war-i

This new book about Greenville titled Our Country First, Then Greenville - A New South City During the Progressive Era and World War I indicates the population of Greenville tripled between 1900 and 1930. The New South expression is used to differentiate from what you are describing as southern. One of the big differences between the north and south back in the day was the north had more industry and the south was primarily agriculture. Greenville was one of the first cities in the south to industrialize.

A city in the south could not have industrialized without transplants from the north who had skills and experience in industry.
I think you are wrong to say that a city in the south could not have industrialized without transplants from the north. The cotton mill campaign of the 1880s relocated the textile industry from New England to the south. The people that filled those jobs came from the farms in the south to get a textile job. There was not a wholesale relocation of people from the north to the south

Old 01-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 14 days ago)

730 posts, read 347,229 times
It's surprising how common this Disneyworld analogy is used.

A waterfall is nature, not a man made amusement park. You don't need a ticket to go downtown Greenville.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
So according to a few of the homers in this forum, there is no difference in Charlotte today than 30 years ago and no difference in Charlotte and Greenville since both are southern. Well Charlotte’s MSA population has added approximately 1.2 million new residents over the last 30 years. That is more than twice the existing population of Greenville county. And I have been reminded time and again that Greenville is the most populous county in the state. Yet, this population change has not changed Charlotte and it is still like Greenville according to a few on this forum. 30 years ago Charlotte had no bar districts and today it has 6. 30 years ago most people drove the speed limit or slightly over maybe 10 over at most. Today there are far too
many ultra speeders on highways. 30 years ago few people ran red lights but today you had better clear the intersection before entering. Mecklenburg county has voted democratic at a 68 percent rate over the last several
presidential elections while Greenville county is usually around 30 percent over the last several elections. Today Charlotte has the largest gay pride parade between DC and ATL with well over 100k participants. That would not have been possible 30years ago. And Charlotte has been labeled the next black Mecca. Last year Charlotte had the highest percentage increase of black residents in the US. Charlotte’s mayor, head district attorney, police chief, city manager, fire chief, and the head of the Charlotte Mecklenburg schools are all black. This would not have been possible 30 years ago. The Charlotte csa is the 6th fastest growing in the US when measuring absolute population growth. This would not have been possible 30 years ago. So, when looking at the facts, Charlotte is nothing like it was 30 years ago. And the Charlotte city and region are much more diverse than it was 30 years ago. And it is much more diverse than the Greenville area by far. Greenville is still overwhelmingly white. Greenville is still 66% white, 23 % black, 2 % Hispanic and 2% Asian. Charlotte is 40 percent white, 35 percent black, 15 percent Hispanic, and 6 percent Asian. Charlotte does not resemble itself from 30 years ago And Charlotte does not resemble Greenville that much any more.,
Southern is a geographical term. It weirds me out when people describe a city in the south like Charlotte as northern.

I don't see a problem with a city being 66% white. You are hung up on skin color which means nothing. Being hung up on skin color is an Old South way of thinking. You are a Charlotte resident talking about skin color on a Greenville infrastructure topic.

You are saying a city is better if it has less white people. That doesn't sound good and you are saying that on MLK weekend. MLK's message was to create a color blind society.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-12-2024 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-12-2024, 10:16 PM

I think that it is an atypical downtown for an industrial center of 1.5 million. Savannah and st Augustine are tourist cities but Greenville is not. Your downtown has few jobs fir the metro size. Many of the store fronts create a seasonal weekend visit for people that want to walk around similar to a tourist center. They want a weekend trip not too far from their home. But this also fits the description of downtown Charlotte. But Charlotte does not have a Disneyland downtown. But Greenville is not a tourist center. I think this is why it gets negative feedback. I know that it is an award winning downtown but many of the magazines and groups handing out these accolades do it to get people to read their magazine. Anyone knows that the big cities have the real award winning downtowns but nobody in San Fran is going to buy the magazine to read about it. They know their downtown is great so they do not need the reassurance. If you notice, the bigger a city gets then the less it makes these lists because the residents don’t read the articles and buy the magazines. They sale in smaller areas where the city and its people are still wanting praise.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:18 PM

I am not talking about skin color per se. I am talking about diversity. Diversity makes a city more interesting . The restaurants become more diverse. With a high Hispanic population, Charlotte has become a center for soccer.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:19 PM

If I'm not mistaken, you are the only one who has mentioned downtown Greenville has won awards.

I'm ok with Greenville not being a tourist city but it does appear on lists with tourist cities frequently. It is odd to me you are saying it is a Disneyworld downtown but also insist it is not a tourist city.

Most people probably would not associate the company Disney with Greenville at this point but it may be trending in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area