Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2024, 10:21 PM

615 posts, read 537,928 times

Advertisements

I am not saying Charlotte is a northern city but I am saying that as more people come to an area from various areas and not just up north then the city takes on the character of its residents. As the area becomes less southern then the city becomes less southern and more diverse. Charlotte still has plenty of southerners and some drive slow, walk slow, talk slow etc. - not all but some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 10:23 PM

Greenville is not a tourist city like Charleston, savannah, st Augustine, Myrtle beach. It has tourist like Charlotte. But not many people bring their family to Greenville for a week.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:25 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 15 days ago)

731 posts, read 347,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Greenville is not a tourist city like Charleston, savannah, st Augustine, Myrtle beach. It has tourist like Charlotte. But not many people bring their family to Greenville for a week.
Nobody in Greenville think the city gets tourism like those cities.

I think there are people who use Greenville as a base camp for mountain vacations similar to Asheville. Greenville is closer or as close to many of the Blue Ridge attractions like Whitewater Falls.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about skin color per se. I am talking about diversity. Diversity makes a city more interesting . The restaurants become more diverse. With a high Hispanic population, Charlotte has become a center for soccer.

When I was high school in small town SC in the 90s, soccer seemed to be the most popular sport for the white kids. Part of that is there wasn't much diversity on football and basketball teams. I've never heard anybody talk about lack of diversity in those two sports which can led to big money.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-12-2024 at 11:24 PM..

Old 01-12-2024, 10:51 PM

Most people don't know this because the football overshadows the other sports but Clemson has won 4 national titles in soccer, including two of the last three. It's a great place to catch a game. Basically all of the players are from overseas.

Old 01-12-2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I am not saying Charlotte is a northern city but I am saying that as more people come to an area from various areas and not just up north then the city takes on the character of its residents. As the area becomes less southern then the city becomes less southern and more diverse. Charlotte still has plenty of southerners and some drive slow, walk slow, talk slow etc. - not all but some.
Speeding is common in Greenville. You are saying the region that gave birth to NASCAR has people who drive slow. People in the south have a need for speed.

I have people on my bumper every morning on the way to work.

Old 01-13-2024, 04:50 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
You're calling us lots of names and are writing ridiculously long posts. But who is in what forum? Are we over in the Charlotte forum beating our chest about our home? Who really has the complex? If you don't like us then why come over here with verbal diarrhea because we like where we live? Just hang out in the forum of the cities you like. I never go to the Charlotte forum. And this is definitely GSP101 mannerisms. Strong disdain for Greenville, but never posted in the forum of the city he claimed he lives in. We could careless if Charlotte is larger and growing faster. It's not for us and I personally see nothing special about it. So if you don't like us then don't come here and read our posts. If I judged Charlotte by the interactions of posters like yourself here, then I could say people there have a superiority complex. But I know better than to judge a place based on a handful of posters who post outside of their home forum to this one. Most folks don't even know of these websites. We don't know you. We don't care what you think of us. So save the ridiculously long posts.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:41 AM

If you think we are bad now, wait until the observation tower called The Thomas and Vivian A. Wong Honor Tower is built at Unity Park. https://gsabusiness.com/unity-park-t...r-1m-donation/

This tower will be like a bat signal to urbanists. In my view, the city decided to do the observation tower and Liberty Bridge at Falls Parks to attract people who support high taxes and have your general viewpoints.

The tower is named after a couple that immigrated from Hong Kong six decades ago and became successful. Your posts have made it seem like Greenville has never seen a transplant until the past 5 years or so.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-13-2024 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-13-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Southern is a geographical term. It weirds me out when people describe a city in the south like Charlotte as northern.

I don't see a problem with a city being 66% white. You are hung up on skin color which means nothing. Being hung up on skin color is an Old South way of thinking. You are a Charlotte resident talking about skin color on a Greenville infrastructure topic.

You are saying a city is better if it has less white people. That doesn't sound good and you are saying that on MLK weekend. MLK's message was to create a color blind society.
I will say again that nobody has said Charlotte is a northern city. What I have said is that any city that experiences explosive growth for decades is going to change. I gave you examples of how Charlotte has changed. And I gave you examples of how Charlotte and Greenville are very different. This has been brought about by explosive growth. And I am not hung up on skin color. I was only pointing out the differences in Charlotte and Greenville’s demographics. Some would rather live in a place like Greenville that is primarily white and conservative. While some would rather live in city that is more diverse. I am not saying one is better than the other. It depends on a person’s preference. And I am only stating this demographic info because someone stated that Charlotte and Greenville are not different because both are southern cities. I am only pointing out the differences in the two cities. I believe I have shown that although the two are southern cities, they are very different in a number ways.,

Old 01-13-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you are the only one who has mentioned downtown Greenville has won awards.

I'm ok with Greenville not being a tourist city but it does appear on lists with tourist cities frequently. It is odd to me you are saying it is a Disneyworld downtown but also insist it is not a tourist city.

Most people probably would not associate the company Disney with Greenville at this point but it may be trending in that direction.
First of all, Greenville is not a big tourist city. It has 1k hotel rooms downtown, but I think 500 more hotel rooms have been added downtown recently. Savannah is considerably smaller than Greenville but it has 4K hotel rooms downtown. Savannah has 14k hotel rooms compared to Greenville county’s 9k. Nobody is bringing their family to Greenville to vacation in Greenville or Charlotte for that matter. People come to Greenville for weekend trips. It does not compare with cities that are known as vacation spots such as Myrtle beach, Charleston, savannah, st Augustine, and Hilton head.

My opinion is that Savannah and st Augustine have Disneyland downtowns and so does Greenville. It is okay for a city to have an downtown ice cream shop or gift shop, but Greenville has multiple gift shops, multiple ice cream shops, multiple cookie, candy shops. Greenville has multiple antique shops downtown. This is indicative to me that the downtown shops have been chosen to serve the weekend tourist. Someone that lives in downtown Greenville is probably not shopping at gift shops, antique shops, and candy shops on a regular basis. These types of shops are frequent in Disneyland downtowns such as Savannah, st Augustine, and Greenville. I have chosen the Disneyland terminology because in a city like Greenville the shops were chosen to serve the tourist rather than locals. The shops are an anomaly for a city like Greenville- industrial csa with 1.5 million residents. Disney represents magic or slight of the hand or an anomaly.

As I have already stated magazines create these accolades for smaller metros in order to sell magazines. As I stated earlier, thegreat downtowns are in big cities but people in those cities are not buying magazines to read about an accolade given to their downtown. But people in smaller cities will buy these magazines to read the articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area