Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 18,412 times

Advertisements

Where are the bad areas of Greenville? I know "bad" is all relative, but for Greenville, where are the areas to avoid living?

I am considering moving near Saluda Lake off of Motor Boat Club rd. How is that area? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,520 times
Stay away from most of West Greenville, unless it's right in the downtown area. The West End of downtown is going through a lot of revitalization and there are some nice places to live there (the area around Fluor Field)...but venturing out of downtown into West Greenville will take you into less desirable places. Lots of ghetto and old mill house neighborhoods...

Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Can you define the boundaries of West Greenville in some detail? How far west is the bad area you mention?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM

370 posts, read 947,474 times
My opinion is to concentrate on Eastside Greenville, Simpsonville, Greer, Taylors & Travelers Rest areas. Most of those areas are close to I-85, I-385 and Rt 29, which are the most modern and desireable areas IMO.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Most of the undesireable areas are noticeable when you get to them. You will know when you're somewhere you don't need to be.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Most of the undesireable areas are noticeable when you get to them. You will know when you're somewhere you don't need to be.
That's the easiest way to say it, really.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
My opinion is to concentrate on Eastside Greenville, Simpsonville, Greer, Taylors & Travelers Rest areas. Most of those areas are close to I-85, I-385 and Rt 29, which are the most modern and desireable areas IMO.
There are certainly many other desirable areas. The North Main and Augusta Road areas, for example, have lots and lots of nice homes. Don't get caught up in all of the ridiculous sprawl around Woodruff Road, unless you really like that kind of thing. It isn't a "bad" area, but there are so many people out there they may as well be their own town and with all those people you have lots of traffic.

Also, if you're looking for a house/apartment/condo/whatever check out Google Maps and it's "Street View" option. Go to any location on the map, click "Street View" at the top right, and any road outlined by blue can be double-clicked and you can view the street as if you were standing there. The street view car (a car with cameras on top, taking pictures in all directions) photographed Greenville's streets recently so almost every one can be viewed.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 AM

Ok...I have more lol. Last post for the night.

I have a friend who lives on Ridge Point Rd, which is across the lake from Motor Boat Club Rd. They are in a nice area. It has a very secluded feel to it, lots of trees and shade, and of course a lake! Use the street view tool I mentioned above, the street you're looking at is available in street view. You can "walk" all the way down the street and check out all of the houses!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the input. Google maps helps some, but you miss the general feel. The main reason I ask is that I am in a position that I will need to buy a house without getting to see it in person first. Kind of a scary thought. That is why I would like general street boundaries of the rougher areas.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Thanks for the input. Google maps helps some, but you miss the general feel. The main reason I ask is that I am in a position that I will need to buy a house without getting to see it in person first. Kind of a scary thought. That is why I would like general street boundaries of the rougher areas.
Have you used street view in google maps? Will give a little more feel. May I ask why you need to buy a house without seeing it? I would think it'd be better to rent short term in an apartment rather than make a mistake with such a big purchase. We rented a furnished apartment before buying and put our stuff in storage. We felt it was better to pay extra for the storage and secondary moving (used 2 men & a truck for the 2nd move) than it would have been if we rushed and made a mistake in our purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area