Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM

33 posts, read 235,218 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are visiting Greenville this upcoming weekend and I'm hoping to get some info before we arrive. We are scoping out the area as a relocation possibility and I want to focus on the right neighborhoods.

We are interested in a community with sidewalks that has a lot of resources for a young family but still has a classic feel. I want to avoid suburbs and new sub-divisions. I like city neighborhoods with more individual houses and yards than apartments. And I would like to be within walking distance of a walkable business district. Are there any neighborhoods like this that are still affordable with reasonable crime rates that we should be sure to see on our visit?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM

11,710 posts, read 24,822,897 times
I would check out the North Main Street area north of downtown and the Augusta Road area south of downtown.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 PM

511 posts, read 1,523,825 times
Default G'vlle

G-Man is right on target. Both of these should provide what you are looking for depending on price of course. The prices in the North Main area vary depending on how close in to town you want to be.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM

617 posts, read 2,574,183 times
My suggestion would be the same as above! If you want a nice neighborhood with character, both of those areas are perfect. I live in the N. Main area and if I decide to settle down in Greenville I'll definitely be looking for a home around here or around Augusta Road. Most of the streets have sidewalks, and the few that don't have little traffic and walking on the street isn't a problem. We didn't have a sidewalk on our street for the longest time and I still don't think it's completely necessary...but it looks nice.

The only thing is...both areas are within walking distance to downtown, but that walk can be a little long (from my dad's house on Earle Street I'd say it's about a 10-15 minute walk). I can't put a name on some other areas, but if you drive around and branch out a little from downtown you'll find some other neighborhoods that are close.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:33 AM

We are in town now...

We will definately be checking out N Main and Augusta Rd. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 AM

11,710 posts, read 24,822,897 times
Along East Parkins Mills Road west of Laurens Road/Verdae Blvd. intersection would be another good suggestion.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Love, Love, Love this city!!

This was our first visit and it was enough to confirm our interest in the city. We will be making future visits to narrow down on neighborhoods. Thus far, I'd say the N. Main area is more to our taste. Augusta Rd neighborhoods are beautiful, but felt more suburban.

We will not be coming back down until August, so I have plenty of time to gather neighborhood info.

Let me know of any more suggestions. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 01:11 AM

617 posts, read 2,574,183 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
Talking thanks

we too will be down in August for relocation in march/april 2009. we are looking for rental homes, not necessarily apartments. thanks for the info on N. Main st...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area