U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:47 PM

11,499 posts, read 23,118,961 times

Advertisements

This is the economy for you.

Kemet to cut 160: Kemet announces plans to lay off 640 employees | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News

Lockheed Martin to cut 80-110: Lockheed making plans to eliminate another 80 to 110 positions | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 15,568,013 times
I wonder when the federal government is going to admit that we're in a recession? South Carolina's unemployment situation does not seem to be improving.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM

5,499 posts, read 14,620,293 times
G-man, you failed to mention that Lockheed plans to add jobs in 2009. They have said over and over that this is the nature of their business and that it is nothing new to see job cuts and hirings as contracts come and go.

Quote:
In a statement, Gross said: "This reduction is being made to better align the organization with the current business environment and is similar to periodic workforce adjustments we've made over the years based on current and expected short-term future workload.

"We fully expect our workload to increase once those aircraft begin to return home for maintenance towards the end of the year."
source (broken link)

Old 07-31-2008, 12:04 AM

11,499 posts, read 23,118,961 times
Oops. My bad.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 AM

915 posts, read 2,301,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
G-man, you failed to mention that Lockheed plans to add jobs in 2009. They have said over and over that this is the nature of their business and that it is nothing new to see job cuts and hirings as contracts come and go.

source (broken link)
Or the fact that Kemet seems to have layoffs at least 2-3 times per year. How many times have I seen Mr. Loof on the news talking about the potential job cuts at Kemet? I have a friend who has been let go, and then asked to come back 3 separate times in her 5 years with that company.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,380,247 times
Well dang...there you are....and here all I ever hear about is how booming Greenville metro area is...jobs galore!! move here you'll have a job!! So I come to this board and bam.....same ol' same ol' I truly wonder are there jobs anywhere anymore?

I love SC I don't want to leave, but I have a real potential of losing my job in 2 weeks. Huge layoff coming. I am expecting the worse...if it goes the other way than whoppee I can stay. If I'm laid off....I just can't compete in the Charlotte metro area when Wachovia will be releasing thousands of workers around the same time. Figured....check out Greenville, I've heard so many positive things....now I don't know..sounds like it will be the same thing over again.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 15,568,013 times
Mrs P, if you're in banking, have you looked into the credit union industry? The average pay scale is not quite as high as at banks, but layoffs are almost unheard of and mergers are rare.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,380,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Mrs P, if you're in banking, have you looked into the credit union industry? The average pay scale is not quite as high as at banks, but layoffs are almost unheard of and mergers are rare.
No I'm not in banking. I'm in Business to Business collections/ accounts receivable, general ledger, cash applications, those types of jobs. I've been employed by transportation companies my entire career, since I was 17, 30 plus years. I suppose my age will be the largest thing I have to overcome, it sure is in Charlotte...whether it's against the law or not to discriminate for age, it most certainly happens in Charlotte.

As an example I applied for a job 2 weeks ago. SAP software useage, check,
accounts receivable, check, Microsoft office applications, check, billing, invoicing, collections background check.....did I get an interview? NOPE.

I checked career builder dot com and there was absolutely almost nothing for me in your area....
But....I'll keep checking.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 PM

7,987 posts, read 12,168,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Well dang...there you are....and here all I ever hear about is how booming Greenville metro area is...jobs galore!! move here you'll have a job!! So I come to this board and bam.....same ol' same ol' I truly wonder are there jobs anywhere anymore?

I love SC I don't want to leave, but I have a real potential of losing my job in 2 weeks. Huge layoff coming. I am expecting the worse...if it goes the other way than whoppee I can stay. If I'm laid off....I just can't compete in the Charlotte metro area when Wachovia will be releasing thousands of workers around the same time. Figured....check out Greenville, I've heard so many positive things....now I don't know..sounds like it will be the same thing over again.
These are two small layoffs of only a total of around 270 in the Greenville area. What g-man fails to mention and what you should weigh into the picture are all the job hires. BMW, soon to be an additional 500 hires. South Financial soon to be an additional 600 new hires at their new campus. Henry Schein soon to be 200 new hires at their regional offices. Fluor has been of the process of adding 400 to 600 this year to their campus of 3,000. GE has been hiring. On and on and on.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 PM

5,499 posts, read 14,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
These are two small layoffs of only a total of around 270 in the Greenville area. What g-man fails to mention and what you should weigh into the picture are all the job hires. BMW, soon to be an additional 500 hires. South Financial soon to be an additional 600 new hires at their new campus. Henry Schein soon to be 200 new hires at their regional offices. Fluor has been of the process of adding 400 to 600 this year to their campus of 3,000. GE has been hiring. On and on and on.
Absolutely correct. The Greenville area is gaining new jobs every month. As clearly explained in this thread (and the one I created not long ago for this very reason), the title does not tell the whole story. Lockheed plans to add many new jobs in 2009 and this layoff is very common for the company as short-term contracts come and go. Kemet has a history of laying off its workers in this area, since deciding to relocate the majority of manufacturing jobs to Mexico a decade ago. As was also mentioned in this thread though, they often try to re-hire former employees after laying them off. I would definitely not use Kemet as an indicator of the status of our local economy, given their recent history of instability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>