Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 11:14 AM

33 posts, read 158,533 times

Advertisements

Hi, been checking out NC, SC and ETenn, a neighbor told my husband to tell your wife to look at Greer or Easley SC, you won't be looking anymore, says "they have everything you need shopping, malls, health services, airports, reasonable homes, low taxes, and a quiet country feeling, and nice people" guess I'm a skeptic but seems to good to be true. What are utilities like, what's the winter like, says you pay excise tax on your car, but "its peanuts" paid excise tax on a car for a short time up in Mass, it wasn't peanuts. (we have a 2005 chev colbalt, book value about $9500). Any thoughts on these two towns. Thanks barbarabak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 02:03 PM

90 posts, read 443,109 times
I've lived in both areas. I live in Easley now. Love both areas. They both are so different and you cannot compare one to the other. I like the Greer area around Taylors and Lake Robinson. That area has beautiful mountain views. Easley is more country. Greer is in Greenville County. Easley is in Anderson Co. Both cities are small and are grwoing leaps and bounds. Both areas are about 25 min from downtown Greenville. Taxes will be cheaper in Anderson Co compared to Greenville Co. I've paid from both counties, so I speak from experience. Property tax is a lot cheaper here than it is in Greenville. If you buy a house here, you'll get more 'bang for your buck.' Plus, if you like land, usually houses out here have more land than they would in Greer/Greenville. We're on 2 acres of land now and you just cannot find that anymore in Greenville Co. As far as utilities, they're pretty cheap. We live in a 2650 sq ft home and pay around $200 for power each month. If we have a mild weather month, it's usually around $115. We have a gas fireplace and rarely run it. Our gas bill stays at $6/mo. It goes up in the winter to $24/mo due to the heating system needing gas to heat the house some. You will definitely see prices and taxes lower here than in MA. I have a good friend that lives in Danvers, MA and she wishes she could move down here just because the cost of living is so much cheaper. We have good health services. We have two good hospital systems. Greenville Hospital System and St. Francis. GHS has now become a teaching hospital and has spent millions to update their hospital and enlarge the facility. The doctors are wonderful at both hospitals. As far as malls and shopping, you can drive to Greenville. It takes no time to go in to Greenville and go shopping. There is a mall (Haywood Mall)and new shops on Woodruff Rd. Everything you want is on Woodruff Rd. The traffic is murder, but the shops are great. There are small stores in Greer and Easley. Both have 'small town' Main streets and both cities are seeing small business owners open up shop. Airports, we have a city airport for small planes and a large airport for the national carriers. Greenville Spartanburg Airport is up the 85 closer to Greer. It is small compared to Logan, but you get thru easier and faster and get to your flight on time! Everyone here is friendly. I was born and raised in Atlanta and moved here in '99. I don't miss Atlanta one bit.

Hope this helps some. If you need any more info, just feel free to PM me! Good luck!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,293 times
Greer/Blue Ridge. In between Spartanburg and Greenville, yet only a couple hours(or less) to Charlotte And Atlanta. Lake Robinson is great, just north off of hwy 101, Packs Mountain Road, is a place to check out for the views off the ridge. North is N.C and mountains, south is city view of G-ville.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM

282 posts, read 750,717 times
If you're looking at Easley please be aware that some of Easley is in Pickens County and some is in Anderson County. Both have lower taxes than Greenville County.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:14 AM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri Sanders View Post
If you're looking at Easley please be aware that some of Easley is in Pickens County and some is in Anderson County. Both have lower taxes than Greenville County.
What are the Pickens and Anderson county rates? Should be close to the same, except the millage rate and other misc/education taxes each district collects.

FYI for others who wonder what % S.C taxes on the value:

The property tax is determined by multiplying the fair market value by the assessment ratio by the millage rate.

For example, the tax on your home is determined in this way:

$50,000 Fair market value of home

x 4% Assessment ratio

= 2,000 Assessed value

x .250 Millage rate (250 mills)

= $500 Taxes due

The South Carolina Constitution provides for the following ratios to be applied to the market or use value of property to arrive at the assessed value:

Your home (legal residence) 4%

Second home (or any residential property where you do not live) 6%

Agricultural real property (privately owned) 4%

Agricultural real property (corporate owned) 6%

Commercial real property 6%

Manufacturing real and personal property 10.5%

Utility real and personal property 10.5%

Personal property 10.5%

Motor Carriers, Railroads, Airlines and Pipelines real and personal property 9.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area