Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,939,914 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, some of you may have seen me post around here and there.

I currently live in CT, used to live in Charlotte and Orlando. I've been planning the "great escape" back South for a couple years now after moving to CT about 10 years ago.

Greenville is #1 on my list as I'm not interested in going back to Charlotte. Nice city, just a little too large and congested for me, plus it's just too far from the mountain AND ocean. Pretty flat around there.

Anyhow, I digress...

My wife and I are both active Christians in our mid 30's...okay I'm closer to "late"...LOL. Right now we attend a Baptist Church, but are not hard core fundementalists. Well maybe in a few doctrinal issues but not in every aspect of the "tradition".

We both love Bluegrass Gospel music and most Southern Gospel. (Think Gaither Homecoming type stuff). We would fall over ourselves if there were any churches around your way that have a "Southern" twang to their worship service. We both love contemporary Christian music (Mark Schultz etc) as well as classic hymns too so if any of that is mixed in, all the better.

Some examples of what we would love to find:

YouTube - "Walk On" By The Isaacs (2008)

YouTube - "He Touched Me" By The Isaacs (2008)

YouTube - Rhonda Vincent - If You Don't Love Your Neighbor

YouTube - Whispered Prayers - Karen Peck & New River

YouTube - Yes, I Know - Gaither Vocal Band

YouTube - Ernie Haase & SSQ + Gaither Vocal Band - Holy Highway

(Perhaps some of you were just introduced to some new music as well. )

We will be visiting the week of 11-17 and would like to visit a church or two.

Any church recomendations?

Thanks so much in advance!

P.S. If anyone knows of any live Contemporary Bluegrass shows going on from 11/15 - 11/22 feel free to mention them as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 12:37 PM

835 posts, read 2,298,843 times
I don't know about churches but we are having a bluegrass festival this weekend that they are supposed to make an annual thing.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 AM

I was kind of hoping some of the believers on the board - even if you all don't like the choice in music would have at least given some input to the local church "scene". We really could use some help here.

I can't imagine that the buckle of the Southern Bible belt doesn't have some Southern Gospel type churches.

Guestposter: Thank you for the information.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM

You're quite welcome. I'm sure someone has some information on a church like you mentioned. Keep waiting.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM

370 posts, read 944,369 times
My wife and I are originally from the Northeast and have visited tons of churches over the last 3 years, but unfortunately I don't know if there are any churches that feature southern gospel music in this area. I believe there is a church in Myrtle Beach that does (Grand Strand Baptist), but as far as this area is concerned, I'm not aware of any at this point. Does the Gaither website or other southern gospel music organizations have any info or links you could follow in regards to local churches? That would be my next suggestion.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:55 AM

5,535 posts, read 15,306,546 times
Probably a bit "old fashioned" and definitely "Southern," but you might try Tabernacle Baptist Church on White Horse Road. They have strong opinions though, so be cautious.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Probably a bit "old fashioned" and definitely "Southern," but you might try Tabernacle Baptist Church on White Horse Road. They have strong opinions though, so be cautious.
Thanks for that...Can you give me an example of "strong opinions"? Are we talking Westboro Baptist type stuff or just really fundemental type stuff.

Either way, I'm a bit surprised there isn't much there like that considering the location and all. Maybe there is a small country church somewhere in the hills where everyone is just pickin and grinin.

Well, I suppose churches like Cedar Creek, Marathon, Southside Fellowship etc are just fine too and will do.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:28 AM

I'm sure there are more Southern gospel churches around.

Skyliner: I am honestly curious as to how you seem to have been just about everywhere. Is it part of your job or something?

Old 04-04-2009, 07:12 AM
lnl

1 posts, read 2,974 times
My Husband and I live in Chocowinity and we are also looking for a local church that features bluegrass gospel music. I hope someone will advise us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area