Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Advertisements

You can dig up case files and news reports of random violent crimes in any city, elvislives. That doesn't prove anything though, except that the world is full of criminal activity, and that no matter where you are violent crime will happen in that area as well.

Christopherinsc26, I was not implying that this does not relate to the Upstate, but I do believe that since it is indeed a statewide topic, it would be beneficial to everyone else in the state also, not just people reading the Upstate subforum. Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM

765 posts, read 1,910,339 times
SKY YOUR QUOTE.... and yes, there are a few neighborhoods where you are likely to find it happening much more frequently than most places. Most neighborhoods in Greenville very rarely, if ever, experience violent crime.
The crimes i listed happened this month. And i could have listed way more ... Just giving you a reality check is all...

Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
A reality check for a long-time resident of Greenville, from a resident of a city two hours away? Sorry to disappoint, but as I said, violent crime can certainly be found in Greenville, just as it can in any city, but most neighborhoods here do not experience it very often, if ever. Take it from someone who lives here. If you wish to compare your hometown with the Upstate, we must first compare the population difference, which you may have forgotten.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
A reality check for a long-time resident of Greenville, from a resident of a city two hours away? Sorry to disappoint, but as I said, violent crime can certainly be found in Greenville, just as it can in any city, but most neighborhoods here do not experience it very often, if ever. Take it from someone who lives here. If you wish to compare your hometown with the Upstate, we must first compare the population difference, which you may have forgotten.
AGAIN...SKY YOUR QUOTE.... and yes, there are a few neighborhoods where you are likely to find it happening much more frequently than most places. Most neighborhoods in Greenville very rarely, if ever, experience violent crime.

Then where was the kid molested and killed ? Where did the robbery occur? How about the church lady??

Do you really want to debate this?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Let's stay on topic and not argue. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I think it was the same last year, ugh, sad how the state as a whole can make us look so bad
Who is this "us" you speak of? Are all these crimes supposedly in other parts of the state making people who moved here a year ago look bad?

Greenville, of course, has no crime at all. Are we going to become such big city elitists that we start claiming it's only in other parts of the state?

If Greenville grows into some big, crime-ridden city it will be the one making the rest of the state look bad.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:50 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Who is this "us" you speak of? Are all these crimes supposedly in other parts of the state making people who moved here a year ago look bad?

Greenville, of course, has no crime at all. Are we going to become such big city elitists that we start claiming it's only in other parts of the state?

If Greenville grows into some big, crime-ridden city it will be the one making the rest of the state look bad.
"Who is this "us" you speak of?"
Us, meaning the people who aren't committing crimes. and if you have info about Greenville having the highest crime rate in the state please share it, I would be interested(no sarcasm)

"making people who moved here a year ago look bad?"Are you implying I don't count because I moved here a year ago, or that for some reason I have no claim to comment because I haven't been here long enough? I love Greenville as much as the next person so don't be so quick to judge

"If Greenville grows into some big crime ridden city it will be the one making the rest of the state look bad" THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Us, meaning the people who aren't committing crimes. and if you have info about Greenville having the highest crime rate in the state please share it, I would be interested(no sarcasm)

"making people who moved here a year ago look bad?"Are you implying I don't count because I moved here a year ago, or that for some reason I have no claim to comment because I haven't been here long enough? I love Greenville as much as the next person so don't be so quick to judge

"If Greenville grows into some big crime ridden city it will be the one making the rest of the state look bad" THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!
I think Greenville would be best overall....

OVERALL (320 METROPOLITAN AREAS):

Safest 25:
Most Dangerous 25:

Appleton, WI
Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI M.D.

Fond du Lac, WI
Memphis, TN-MS-AR

Bismarck, ND
Sumter, SC

State College, PA
Fairbanks, AK

Oshkosh-Neenah, WI
New Orleans, LA

Bangor, ME
Miami-Dade County, FL M.D.

Harrisonburg, VA
Myrtle Beach, SC

Binghamton, NY
Las Vegas-Paradise, NV

Wausau, WI
Victoria, TX

La Crosse, WI-MN
Florence, SC

Columbus, IN
Stockton, CA

Edison, NJ M.D.
Shreveport-Bossier City, LA

Sheboygan, WI
Pine Bluff, AR

Nassau-Suffolk, NY M.D.
Lafayette, LA

Glens Falls, NY
Jackson, MS

Rockingham County, NH M.D.
Saginaw, MI

Portland, ME
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

Fargo, ND-MN
Tucson, AZ

Provo-Orem, UT
Los Angeles County, CA M.D.

Grand Forks, ND-MN
Baltimore-Towson, MD

Williamsport, PA
Albuquerque, NM

Poughkeepsie, NY
Vineland, NJ

Cambridge-Newton, MA M.D.
Montgomery, AL

Lewiston, ID-WA
Little Rock, AR

Bloomington, IN
Charleston-North Charleston, SC
http://www.statestats.com/cit05pop.htm

Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Quote:

I suppose I get tired of people acting like Greenville is some sort of utopia and the rest of the state is like the bowels of hell.

I seem to remember a thread about some high crime statistics in Greenville.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:14 PM

75 posts, read 353,194 times
^^Those stats are based on 2003 statistics. Might as well go watch saved by the bell for todays hottest style tips lol

Dont trust the internet for crime stats on Greenville, or population stats for that matter. For some reason, for all statistics on Greenville they basically used the downtown area, and the crime rate and population seems low, but the urbanized area of greenville shows a population of 300,000+, and a Greenville/Easly/Mauldin metropoliatan population of over 600,000, and sadly much higher crime than stats report. Greenville reports 8 murders a year for 2007, but i can tell you i heard about more than 10 murders, and thats just those i heard about. If the true statistics show, Greenville actually has a crime rate that surpasses Columbia and can compete with North Charleston which was 7th on the list of most dangerous cities in the U.S. for 2008. It differs greatly depending on what area you go to. Some neighborhoods are really nice and nothing happens but there are some neighborhoods i wouldnt even reccomend driving through because being robbed is a pretty good possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area