Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,487 times

Advertisements

FBI: S.C. Has Highest Violent Crime Rate - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,081 times
I think it was the same last year, ugh, sad how the state as a whole can make us look so bad

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM

110 posts, read 455,662 times
We have a great deal of poverty and poverty is closely correlated with crime.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
We have a great deal of poverty and poverty is closely correlated with crime.
Top 10 wealthiest states
Here's where the median household income is highest
StateIncomeMaryland$65,144New Jersey$64,470Connecticut$63,422Hawaii$61,160Massac husetts$59,963New Hampshire$59,683Alaska$59,393California$56,645Virg inia$56,277Minnesota$54,023

The 10 poorest states
The states with the lowest median household income
StateIncomeMontana$40,627Tennessee$40,315Kentucky$39,372Louis iana$39,337Alabama$38,783Oklahoma$38,770Arkansas$3 6,599West Virginia$35,059Mississippi$34,473

Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Top 10 wealthiest states
Here's where the median household income is highest
StateIncomeMaryland$65,144New Jersey$64,470Connecticut$63,422Hawaii$61,160Massac husetts$59,963New Hampshire$59,683Alaska$59,393California$56,645Virg inia$56,277Minnesota$54,023

The 10 poorest states
The states with the lowest median household income
StateIncomeMontana$40,627Tennessee$40,315Kentucky$39,372Louis iana$39,337Alabama$38,783Oklahoma$38,770Arkansas$3 6,599West Virginia$35,059Mississippi$34,473
Keep in mind that it is considerably more expensive to live in the wealthiest states than the poorest. Also remember that the poorest states usually have the highest individual spending power (that means we have higher % of our income being "disposable").

Obviously the top 10 wealthiest states also have nasty crime, but South Carolina's economy is based on Tourism. All too often Tourism brings in nasty crime rates. Hawaii is the same way.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Does anyone else agree with me that this thread should be moved to the general South Carolina forum, since it is directly related to the entire state and not the Upstate alone? I find this news interesting, considering I have never been close to becoming a victim of violent crime here in Greenville. Most of the violent crime around here seems to be a result of domestic disputes between friends and family members - and yes, there are a few neighborhoods where you are likely to find it happening much more frequently than most places. Most neighborhoods in Greenville very rarely, if ever, experience violent crime.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Does anyone else agree with me that this thread should be moved to the general South Carolina forum, since it is directly related to the entire state and not the Upstate alone? I find this news interesting, considering I have never been close to becoming a victim of violent crime here in Greenville. Most of the violent crime around here seems to be a result of domestic disputes between friends and family members - and yes, there are a few neighborhoods where you are likely to find it happening much more frequently than most places. Most neighborhoods in Greenville very rarely, if ever, experience violent crime.
good question, maybe, but it does directly affect greenville as well so i'm not sure....

Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 AM

642 posts, read 2,088,487 times
Ha no I don't think it needs to be moved. We can't have anything looking negative about Greenville now can we. And last time I checked Greenville Sheriff Steve Loftis is the one they are talking with and talking about Greenville so nah I think it fits in well right where it is.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
REALLY??????????

Greenville man charged with murder

The Associated Press
Posted: Saturday, Nov. 01, 2008

GREENVILLE, S.C. A 51-year-old man has been charged with killing a man found dead in the yard of a Greenville County home.
WYFF-TV reports that Wyatt Earp Harper was arrested at a motel early Saturday and charged with murder and gun possession in the death of 53-year-old Lonnie Oglesby of Anderson.
Deputy Coroner Scott Ramsey has said Oglesby died Wednesday of a gunshot wound to the back. Authorities said Friday a warrant had been issued for Harper.
Harper was in the Greenville County jail on Saturday without bond.

SC man pleads guilty to raping 8-year-old girl

GREENVILLE, S.C. A South Carolina man who kidnapped, beat and raped his 8-year-old neighbor then left her bloodied in a wooded area has pleaded guilty to the crime

SC man pleads guilty to raping 8-year-old girl - [domain blocked due to spam]

Greenville County, SC
Jun 20, 2008
Greenville deputy arrested on assault charge

A Greenville County sheriff's deputy has been arrested and charged with assault after being accused of repeatedly punching a teenager during a drug arrest.

Greenville deputy arrested on assault charge - [domain blocked due to spam]

Two charged in Anderson robbery

Two men have been charged in connection with an early morning convenience store robbery in Anderson County in which authorities said a clerk was shot.

Two charged in Anderson robbery - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 AM

Authorities: Greenville woman charged with arson at church where she worked

A Greenville woman has been charged with arson in connection with three fires at a church where authorities said she worked. Authorities: Greenville woman charged with arson at church where she worked - [domain blocked due to spam]

Police search for Greenville armed robbery suspect

Greenville police say they are hunting for a man who robbed a Family Dollar store on Pendleton St.Police search for Greenville armed robbery suspect - [domain blocked due to spam]
Friday Nov 7
Psychological exam ordered for teen accused in 8-year-old's rape, murder

The examination is a ste0 in determining whether the youth should face charges as an adult in the June death of Dymia Woody, but his defense attorne9 argued the examination could violate his constitutional ...
Psychological exam ordered for teen accused in 8-year-old's rape, murder - [domain blocked due to spam]

Monday Nov 3
Judge sentences man to 40 years in storekeeper's death

The man who shot to death a Greenville antiques store owner was sentenced today to 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to a crime that the judge described as one of the most-bizarre he's seen.
Judge sentences man to 40 years in storekeeper's death - [domain blocked due to spam]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area