Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and would really appreciate any comment about this area. I'm wondering if it is a safe neighborhood. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 PM

1,842 posts, read 2,747,716 times
That area borders on a commercial zone, and there have been a number of crime problems in the nearby apartments within 1/2 mile in the last year. I don't know about that immediate neighborhood however.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 PM

21,007 posts, read 27,062,944 times
The apartment complexes along Augusta Road are dubious. As for the residential neighborhoods, I assume they are gentrified lower middle class households.

You will need to drive at least two miles for grocery and pharmacy needs. The intersection of Augusta and White Horse Roads is both food and pharmacy deserts.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 AM

723 posts, read 1,143,649 times
I can't comment on this specific neighborhood, but you can find crime data for any neighborhood in Greenville County by visiting the county's mapping system: Mapping Applications

Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 AM

128 posts, read 318,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The apartment complexes along Augusta Road are dubious. As for the residential neighborhoods, I assume they are gentrified lower middle class households.

You will need to drive at least two miles for grocery and pharmacy needs. The intersection of Augusta and White Horse Roads is both food and pharmacy deserts.
The intersection of Augusta and White Horse Road is way far down from where E. Belvedere is. There's a Bi-Lo grocery store with pharmacy at the corner of Mauldin and S. Pleasantburg Roads. Across from there is a CVS pharmacy as well. Up the street at Augusta and Mauldin Roads (and about 2 blocks down from that CVS) is locally-owned, non-chain pharmacy that's been there forever. If the Bi-Lo is two miles from Belle Meade, which is where E. Belvedere is located, it's barely at two miles... and how long does it take to drive two miles anyway? Five minutes with traffic lights? You make it sound like driving to the moon.

There is only one traditional apartment complex on Augusta Road and it's not dubious. At one time it WAS a no-go zone, but I guess about 5 or so years ago a new company bought it and cleaned house. Literally and figuratively. It used to be named Augusta Hills Apts, and even though that's not the name anymore, most people still call it that.

Now the name is Augusta Road Apts. and, unfortunately, the new owners haven't done enough to get the word out that it's under new ownership and has been cleaned up, because people (like you) are still thinking it's like it used to be, and it's not. There's nothing dubious about these apartments now, unless one has something against the working poor, poor elderly, and poor disabled people. Then again, for some people "poor" is synonymous with everything bad and dangerous.

I live in Augusta Road Apts right now, and I feel safe. I have relatives and friends who live in the main complex about a mile down the road. They feel safe, too. Sometimes, people might get loud but that's really the extent of it. It's just an apartment complex that working class and fixed income people can afford. Yes, many of them are ghetto fabulous (ex: "eyelashes" on their car's headlights), but everyone around me goes to work every day and just lives their lives.

I'm on my third lease, and will not be renewing. I like upscale living, but when I moved back to Greenville I was very sick and needed to be close to relatives and this is the area they live in, and these were the only area apartments that weren't part of the Housing Authority. I'm no longer sick enough to have to be close to relatives that can get to me fast, so I'm looking to move when my lease is up next spring.

I really don't like when people who are not very familiar with an area or a neighborhood try to speak as if they are.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
That area borders on a commercial zone, and there have been a number of crime problems in the nearby apartments within 1/2 mile in the last year. I don't know about that immediate neighborhood however.
I live in the Augusta Road Apts, and there have been no major crimes in these apartments that I know of. I live in one section and I have elderly relatives and a best friend who live in the other section. If something major went down, I'd know about it. I've called the sheriff out a few times due to noise complaints when the weather started warming up and people didn't know how to lower their voices and/or just go in the house when it started getting late. This doesn't happen anymore; I've got them "trained" now.

But, as far as major crimes happening, there have been none where I live. And, as I said, if something major went down in the other section, I'd know about it because my folks live in the front AND the back of it. And, unlike white people who are scared of their own shadows, black people WILL go outside to be nosy and see what's going on, LOL.

Petty crime is everywhere. Domestic violence is a problem in SC, period. Some dude is slapping his wife or kid around in your neighborhood as we speak. I'm tired of many of y'all deliberately trying to make "certain" areas of Greenville look like war zones.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 AM

374 posts, read 830,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
I can't comment on this specific neighborhood, but you can find crime data for any neighborhood in Greenville County by visiting the county's mapping system: Mapping Applications
Good post. Use this suggested data OP.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM

21,007 posts, read 27,062,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
The intersection of Augusta and White Horse Road is way far down from where E. Belvedere is. There's a Bi-Lo grocery store with pharmacy at the corner of Mauldin and S. Pleasantburg Roads. Across from there is a CVS pharmacy as well. Up the street at Augusta and Mauldin Roads (and about 2 blocks down from that CVS) is locally-owned, non-chain pharmacy that's been there forever. If the Bi-Lo is two miles from Belle Meade, which is where E. Belvedere is located, it's barely at two miles... and how long does it take to drive two miles anyway? Five minutes with traffic lights? You make it sound like driving to the moon.
I was just sizing up the area. The Augusta Road/White Horse Road intersection and immediate area have been underserved by a supermarket (Community Cash closed in the early 1990s) and a pharmacy (Eckerd closed in the mid 2000s). Definitely a great opportunity for someone to move in to fulfill two critical needs.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I was just sizing up the area. The Augusta Road/White Horse Road intersection and immediate area have been underserved by a supermarket (Community Cash closed in the early 1990s) and a pharmacy (Eckerd closed in the mid 2000s). Definitely a great opportunity for someone to move in to fulfill two critical needs.
Very true. Nobody should hold their breath for it to happen, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area