U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM

5,346 posts, read 7,721,318 times

Advertisements

With Greenville's city limits being a puny 26.1 square miles and annexation being near impossible in the state of South Carolina, which do you guys think will happen first? Influx of people into the small city limit area increasing density and population or the state finally changing the ordinance so it can annex like it need to? Or do you think people will continue moving into areas outside of the city limits deceiving people of its true size? Just something to start up a conversation with. Feel free to chime in!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM

This thread didn't gain any momentum. Maybe I posted it on the wrong forum being that most here are looking for info. The invitation still stands though. I started this thread when I was bored.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,589,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
This thread didn't gain any momentum. Maybe I posted it on the wrong forum being that most here are looking for info. The invitation still stands though. I started this thread when I was bored.
i'm interested in it, but there are some threads that have touched on this previously and I think most people have thrown in their two cents on the subject.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 PM

I was just bored. I seems its being talked about on a another thread, maybe thats why. One person mentioned that the area is only cluster home after cluster home and then talks about how rural it is. Despite how it may look doesn't this person realize that people live in these houses and thats where the population is? People are coming to the county in large numbers and this is where they are going. Despite how it looks on the outside(bunches of neighborhoods) they are here and coming even faster. Wouldn't mind seeing the city get more tax base since all of these people use the city of Greenville.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,589,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
I was just bored. I seems its being talked about on a another thread, maybe thats why. One person mentioned that the area is only cluster home after cluster home and then talks about how rural it is. Despite how it may look doesn't this person realize that people live in these houses and thats where the population is? People are coming to the county in large numbers and this is where they are going. Despite how it looks on the outside(bunches of neighborhoods) they are here and coming even faster. Wouldn't mind seeing the city get more tax base since all of these people use the city of Greenville.
actually did you know that businesses within the city of greenville already charge a tax that goes towards the upkeep of the city? I forget what its called but next time you eat out in downtown, check your bill for that extra tax added in

Old 01-08-2009, 02:24 PM

Yea, I knew about that. But is it enough? I also noticed that some of the money goes to the auditorium district and museums in my car tax. So they better build and make them nice for all of to use.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 AM

3,346 posts, read 6,155,909 times
Isn't it strange that Columbia, and Charleston are over 100 sq mi but Greenville is 26 sq mi...How are they that big without annexation? I believe if Greenville does start annexing will go a little to crazy with it, so I would like for us to build our density up before we start annexing...We have the lowest population density out of all three of the tier 3 cities (or tier 1, which 1 is better lol) which is strange to me, because Columbia and Charleston are so expansive but there density is still higher but if you double Greenville's city limits size (26 sq mi) it will not equal up to Charleston or Columbia's and will be way higher than theres!!! IDK I'm a little sleepy so that sentence could sound confusing. lol

Old 01-11-2009, 01:59 PM

Actually Greenville has more people per square mile making it denser according to city-data. Its a lot bigger than 60,000 people.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM

74 posts, read 274,743 times
there is plenty of opportunity to increase the density within the existing city limits, it actually has a low density compared to other cities in a similar sized metro. I have noticed that there are many empty lots and undeveloped around the city

Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 PM

5,073 posts, read 5,694,682 times
Charleston crossed the Ashley River in about 1990, has annexed into James Island and Johns Island, and took in Daniel Island in the late 90s. It dilutes the population though because they did it by claiming a half bazillion acres of marsh so the land would be contiguous.

The issue with annexing is that the land has to be contiguos and a certain percentage have to agree to it. James Island has now established itself as a city after about 5 attempts and as many courtcases because some didn't want to go into the city of Charleston. But the areas & properties already in the city of Charleston remain in the City of Charleston.

I get the impression the City of Greenville isn't as desparate to annex because they already have a decent tax base which Charleston didn't when it first went on the spree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area