Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 AM

10 posts, read 31,856 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to Greenville and was wondering about who the main phone and internet providers are in the area. This includes cable, wireless, etc. My work background is mainly in the telecommunications industry and I'd be interested in knowing what companies are in the area. Especially competitors (known as CLECS) to the main phone company.

I also have experience in phone book advertising. Can you tell me who prints the main phone books in the area? AT&T? Yellowbook? Dex? Verizon?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,862,715 times
I think at&t is the main phone provider in the area, charter communications does phone/internet/cable, I don't know who does the phonebook, who still uses a phone book anymore anyway?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,583,504 times
It seems to vary based on location - there is Bellsouth DSL, verizon, and Charter internet/TV/Phone, but not everywhere - and some areas still have, yes, dial up!

For phones I have AT&T but I know a lot of folks have Verizon. You can check the coverage maps for all the major phone providers.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM

227 posts, read 797,012 times
Bellsouth is AT&T now.

You'll probably need to check your specific location because not all areas get high speed, not even DSL.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,563,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrulz View Post
I also have experience in phone book advertising. Can you tell me who prints the main phone books in the area? AT&T? Yellowbook? Dex? Verizon?

Thanks for your help
There may be others, but we have two phone books:

AT&T - "The Real Yellow Pages"
The Talking Phone Book - Hearst

Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,583,504 times
Charter does provide phone service - landline as well [it is a strange combination of lanline and internet phone]. We have had no problems with it, even when our internet was down.

[Oh, my CELL phone is AT&T but that is because I could not get good verizon coverage in Fort Mill - we were in a bad zone]

You really do have to check because it is very hit or miss. Charter does seem to have it's challenges in regards to the internet.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM

19 posts, read 50,671 times
speaking of wireless phone service. who has the best coverage? the best 3G network? Anyone have an iPhone- any service problems with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area