Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Comparing Summerville and Greenville, tell me about homes for sale, apartments for rent, great schools, and mls listings. Can anyone recommend a cheap realtor ?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM

49 posts, read 167,966 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the greater Charlotte area up by Lake Norman. We moved here from Ohio for the weather and the lake. We do not like this area due to the fact that other than the lake there is not much outdoor activity and sense of community. I have 3 young children and we enjoy biking, hiking, boating, skiing and out door activity. We also want to move to area with popular festivals and activities. We are considering Summerville to be closer to the coast, but my husband likes Greenville. I have been reading alot of threads on here and from what I read, I might have to agree. Can you give me some insight on how close these things to do are, the schools , sense of commnity, etc. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,981,411 times
I just moved here Dec. 1st and Summerville was one of the cities that I considered when trying to decide where to move. Summerville was OK, but didn't live up to my expectations at all. Greenville on the other hand has so much more to offer, and the coast isn't really all that far when you get down to it. I don't know about events, but here is the link to the CVB events calender. http://www.greenvillecvb.com/visit/calendar.aspx

Though I feel kind of silly when I say it, I think Greenville is really a happening town and I think it would be a nice place to raise a family. That wasn't one of my considerations as my youngest is now 27!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM

915 posts, read 2,430,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbondra View Post
I currently live in the greater Charlotte area up by Lake Norman. We moved here from Ohio for the weather and the lake. We do not like this area due to the fact that other than the lake there is not much outdoor activity and sense of community. I have 3 young children and we enjoy biking, hiking, boating, skiing and out door activity. We also want to move to area with popular festivals and activities. We are considering Summerville to be closer to the coast, but my husband likes Greenville. I have been reading alot of threads on here and from what I read, I might have to agree. Can you give me some insight on how close these things to do are, the schools , sense of commnity, etc. Thank you.
Just a few things to keep in mind in your pros and cons list:
  • Summerville has a 7% sales tax versus Greenville's 6%.
  • The median home price in Summerville is roughly 22% higher than Greenville.
  • The median tax on real estate is roughly 11% higher in Summerville.
  • Greenville's air quality rating is significantly lower than Summerville, but Greenville can become a bowl full of pollen in the spring. (I have bad seasonal allergies, but it's nothing a little OTC doesn't help)
  • The median commute time in Summerville is nearly double that in Greenville.
  • 1.5% of Summerville residents bike or walk to work, compared to 8.8% of Greenville residents.
  • The are far more restaurants per capita in Greenville, and somewhat surprisingly, nearly double the number of golf courses.
  • The percentage of clear days, annual precip, average July high, and Average January low are all virtually identical.
Sources:
Greenville - http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL4530850.html
Summerville - http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL4570270.html

--------------

Other than that...

Greenville was named the best walking city in South Carolina by Prevention magazine (http://www.trentonnj.org/Documents/3-4-08Most%20Walkable%20City%20in%20NJ.pdf (broken link))

There are 6 cycling clubs in Greenville listed on usacycling.org (http://www.usacycling.org/clubs/index.php?state=SC)

George Hincapie lives here (http://www.georgehincapie.com/)

Festivals: http://www.greenvillemoves.com/aboutgreenville.html (broken link)

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM

49 posts, read 167,966 times
what areas should we be looking at for homes. We want great schools with alot to offer other than the academic accolades. We want a larger lot, but close to conveniences and not too far from downtown Greenville, to conveniently enjoy all the festivals. We are looking in the 300000-400000 price range. Also how far is Lake Hartwell, is there cheap real estate there for a weekend get away?? We currently have a boat slip in our community on Lake Norman and hate to give that up. thanks for all the info!!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,430,825 times
Quote:
what areas should we be looking at for homes. We want great schools with alot to offer other than the academic accolades. We want a larger lot, but close to conveniences and not too far from downtown Greenville, to conveniently enjoy all the festivals. We are looking in the 300000-400000 price range. Also how far is Lake Hartwell, is there cheap real estate there for a weekend get away?? We currently have a boat slip in our community on Lake Norman and hate to give that up. thanks for all the info!!
You know, it completely depends on your specific criteria. I will say that it will be slightly more difficult to find a larger lot close to those conveniences, since you'll typically find more land further out.

Aside from lot size though, I have to say this, you may want to seriously look into Kilgore Farms. First of all, I am a little biased (resident and President), but based on your desire for family activities, you might have a hard time topping our events calendar (Halloween Parade, Flamingo Friday parties, Breakfast with Santa, Softball team, Annual Golf Tournament, Luau, Guy's Nights, etc), plus it totally fits your price range. I can be in the core shopping area of Woodruff Rd in less than 10 minutes, Haywood Mall in 11 minutes, and in downtown Greenville in 20 or less (depending if you're going West End or North Main). Prices currently range from $325,000 to $410,000, which will get you between 2,400 and 3,200 finished square feet, but lot sizes average .25 acres.

Obviously there are a lot more neighborhoods to choose from. For example, if I run a search for $300,000 to $400,000 within 6 miles of Shops at Greenridge (just an example), there are 139 homes available. Average price is $360,400, average 3,100 sf, .45 acres, and average annual property tax (resale only) of $2,005.

As for Lake Hartwell, dead center of the lake is about an hour from the center of downtown Greenville. However, the northern most point where I-85 crosses over Lake Hartwell is only 26 minutes (24.3 miles) from downtown Greenville. There are currently 285 single-family homes available with Hartwell water frontage in the Western Upstate MLS. They range in price from $124,900 to $2,299,900, and the median is $450,000. There are also 278 residential lots, with a median asking price of $149,450.

Last edited by ckeegan; 01-23-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM

370 posts, read 950,052 times
Just moved from Greenville to Summerville this week as part of a job relocation. So far we have found Summerville to be very nice, but it will take a while to get acclimated and to get a better feel for the area. We will definitely miss Greenville, but are looking forward to being close to the beaches here. That was one of the big things we missed living in Greenville. Either place offers a good quality of life, so it just depends on what things you are looking for the most. Try posting this on the Charleston thread as well to get their opinions.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM

970 posts, read 2,957,446 times
Greenville is the epicenter of a large metro, while Summerville is a Charleston suburb. You can't really compare the two.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,585,392 times
Quote:
For that price range, with the larger lot that you're looking for, check out the Parkins Mill area. It's no more than 10-15 minutes to downtown, 5 minutes from CU-ICAR/Verdae/Millennium Campus, great schools (Sara Collins Elementary, Beck Academy Middle, JL Mann Academy High), and 10 minutes to Woodruff Rd shopping and Haywood Mall (the state's largest shopping mall). If you're an active family, the Swamp Rabbit trail that will run from TR to downtown to Conestee, will run right through the heart of the Parkins Mill area. It's not yet built through Parkins Mill area, but several miles worth is built on both sides of downtown and it comes pretty close as of right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area