U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 18,660 times

Advertisements

Helloooo Greenville,

I was wondering a few things, my family and I are strongly considering relocating here to the Greenville Metro area. I have some questions, I would appreciate some of you locals to help me with:

1. What is the property tax rate for Mauldin, Greer?
2. State income tax rate?
3. I've noticed in the past watching the Weather Channel, the Southeast seems to get it's fair share of Tornado's. I've noticed most homes do not have basements. Do you folk's feel comfortable with that? What are the number of Tornado warnings that are issued... 3 a year, 6 a year etc??? Tornado's and their frequency in NE Wisconsin are laim and pretty much non existent.

I appreciate any help you guy's can help us with. We live in the Green Bay WI area and have had it with snow and cold weather! Bring on the hot weather and humidity! (As long as I can BBQ, drink cold beer and wear shorts, I don't care!) Oh yeah, and watch NFL football too!!! I guess we'll have to convert to Panther or Jaguar fans.

Thanks everyone

Are Southerners hospitable to transplants?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 AM

114 posts, read 360,954 times
I'll let others answer your question about property taxes in greer/mauldin and income tax in our state, but I will tell you that most transplants find a warm welcome in Upstate SC. There are plenty of football fans and you'll find hordes of people willing to share that beer and BBQ with you.

Schedule a visit, take your time looking around and I think you'll enjoy it. While here I would think about seeing the sights in downtown Greenville (main street, parks etc.), but also visiting the state parks in the mountains and lakes in the area (20-35 minutes from Greenville). God bless -

Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 AM

9 posts, read 37,629 times
I have been here for about a year and what I can tell you if that they structure their taxes completely different from the north and it is a good thing. It is based on your square footage of your home. At least it is in Anderson County.

There have been a couple of tornado warnings and it was scary for us never having to deal with one but it wasn't anything. I think that depending where you live you have to deal with certain weather issues. We do not have basements mainly some do have crawl spaces. We have had one tornado touch down in Clemson, Anderson and I think Spartanburg but just wind damage was done. I think that we have had 3 this winter. I was surprised by it but it wasn't a Nor'Easter or a Hurricane.

Football is huge down here!! Sports in general too but Football is major! Most people I have come in contact with have been friendly. There are quite a few of us "transplants and halfbacks" here but the locals don't seem to mind if you are pleasant, honest and respect their ways.

I believe it is just the same as if a southern has moved up north. The economy has been taking a hit here in the upstate, some of it due to the "winter" months and others due to the economy. I would look for a job first if one is needed.

Good luck and I do not miss the snow at all!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 PM

6,719 posts, read 21,417,471 times
Regarding Mauldin and tornadoes; we do occasionally get a tornado watch but rarely do they turn to warnings. Those watches that do go to warnings seem to be in Pickens, Abbeville and Laurens counties and occasionally there is some damage. We get something called micro bursts which are similar to tornadoes but are not usually as violent as tornadoes but they can cause some damage. We actually had one of these micro bursts here in my subdivision a few years ago and it blew some pieces of the venting on our roof joints off, felled a few trees that were weak and needed to go anyway. I can remember seeing some people with blue tarp on their roofs from that storm but there houses were still standing firm.

We have a 1600 sq ft house on .40 acre and our taxes in Mauldin city are about $800/yr.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Default RE Taxes

MYRC60- wow, that's great news! Up here in the land of cheese, we have a 1900 sq foot home, and .4 acres, we pay $3800 year!

We will be looking for a newer ( 8 years or newer), 1700-1800 square foot house on .3 or .4 acres, single level. Can that be had in Mauldin for about 160-180K?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 PM

511 posts, read 1,454,710 times
Default moving

Depending on the market you probably won't have a problem. I have been fortunate to find several for my clients in the Mauldin/Simpsonville area in that range. You will definitely not find those taxes here. We do have some basement homes but we don't seem to need them as bad especially for storm purposes. I have one but we just use it for storage. BTW-I live in Pickens county. I agree that we get more watches for tornadoes--not the actual tornadoes you are accustomed to. Bring your shorts and get out of that snow!!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM

365 posts, read 955,783 times
greatscott...

Just wanted to let you know we're livng in the frozen tundra of Madison, Wi & we're doing some serious consideration about a retirement move to Greenville, SC in about a year & a half. We're planning a vacation to check the area out, along with Bowling Green, Ky... Cookeville & Smyrna, Tn.
So you know, the property taxes are much better then WI. So is the cost of living. There are tax exemptions for those on social security, or lower income. Greenville sure seems to have a lot to offer that Wi. doesn't, especially outdoor types of things & much better winters!
Good luck in your search.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM

6,719 posts, read 21,417,471 times
I don't think you'd have any problem finding what you are looking for. A home just like ours sold for $157,000 last summer. It has a few things that our home does not so I think you'll do just fine. Maybe go .3 instead of .4 lot and you should be there. My home this year is 10 years old.

People will be wearing shorts here tomorrow with a high near 65. Looking forward to saving money on heat/AC.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM

915 posts, read 2,310,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
We will be looking for a newer ( 8 years or newer), 1700-1800 square foot house on .3 or .4 acres, single level. Can that be had in Mauldin for about 160-180K?
Sorry it's taken me a little while to reply to your thread, but wanted to post this real quick before I run out the door.

Currently there are 5 homes available in the MLS that are less than 10 years old, 1,600 square feet or larger, on .3 acres or more, within a 3 mile radius of the center of Mauldin, and priced from $150,000 to $180,000. There are 3 with actual Mauldin mailing addresses. (There is an area of Ashmore Bridge Road where it switches to Greenville mailing addresses)

The average property tax for those homes is $1,170.

Just let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM

Default hey hey neighbor

For me, our reasons for moving are many. I believe Gov Doyle is taking WI down the same path CA is, broke. CA is issuing IOU's for state tax returns.

The weather is the other big reason. I've had it here. I have already been to SC on business and was very impressed with Greenville. We are going down there during my children's spring break to see first hand.

Thanks for the good wishes, and good luck yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area