Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 23,601 times

Advertisements

Moving to Greenville and just wanted to get a warm and fuzzy. I will have a job when I arrive there, but just wanted to know if Greenville is feeling the effects of the economical downturn. In regards to some of the material I have read it seems like Greenville and some of the surrounding areas are doing well despite what is happening to the rest of the nation. One last thing I wanted to ask to anyone out there is that my wife has done patient care and is a certified massage therapist. She doesn't have her license yet, but is hoping to obtain that after we have settled in. In the mean time she would like to get a job, any job, that has something to do with patient care ie; Therapy assistant. I have to report to work by March 2nd, so if anyone knows of a job for my wife out there that would be great. She has been going on line a little, but we have been spending most of our time trying to land a place to move to. Anyway if anybody can answer my questions I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM

470 posts, read 595,364 times
I was driving down Woodruff Rd. on Friday night and I'm pretty sure there was an empty parking spot at P.F. Chang's - economy is definitely slowing!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Red Lobster was packed today but I just found that Pawley's in Mauldin has closed. Ruth's Chris just opened last week. Retail is clamping down on raises and hours but I think as a county we are doing better than others. Many new area jobs have been announced in the last weeks too but we did lose 2 Chevy dealers this week.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
I was driving down Woodruff Rd. on Friday night and I'm pretty sure there was an empty parking spot at P.F. Chang's - economy is definitely slowing!
I had to wait over an hour on Saturday night to eat there. Where's the rant emotion?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 36,490 times
Good Question. I was thinking the same thing this weekend and I concluded that although we have a bad national economy, I didn't see any negative effects in Greenville.

I went to Lowes, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and they were packed with people making purchases.

I was shopping for a new tv so I went to Costco and it was also packed. I ended up buying a 32" Sylvania LCD for $399 (Reccomended TV...it has a beautiful picture!).

Before my TV purchase, I went over to Walmart and as I was browsing the TV's an associate asked me if he could help me and before I could state my request...he let me know that they were out of 32" TV's and no other local Walmart had any either (with a possible shipment coming in a few days). So people are buying lots of TV's.

Lastly, I ended up purchasing a small entertainment center for approx $145.00 to sit my new tv on.

Locally, people are still buying and selling so free market capitalism is thriving in Greenville! ;-)

Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,198 times
Wish I could say the same for Boston....

Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
I think I posted this in another thread, but my wife and I never go out to eat. For some reason, we went every Saturday for 3 weeks, and every time we were waiting for about an hour. I had a friend in town from Jacksonville on Tuesday, so I took him to Quaker Steak. We got the last available table, and there wasn't a single empty seat at the bar.

I still think the BJ's situation is a testament to our local economy. Name another warehouse-type store that can close down, and within days they break ground to convert it into another retail place? Usually those huge buildings sit on the market for years, but not here. I know it's been a few years, but when Lowe's moved to Greenridge, it took Jeff Lynch Appliance what, like a week to starting giving the old Lowe's building a face-lift?

Now you have this development on Wade Hampton starting (Best Buy, Kohl's, etc), and as far as I know, Magnolia Park on Woodruff Rd is still on schedule.

PS - Our waitress at Quaker Steak actually told me that the Greenville location was ranked 2nd of all QS locations for wing sales in January.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
What is going in where BJ's used to be?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
What is going in where BJ's used to be?
Academy Sports & Outdoor, slated to open in about 4 months. There will also be other retail spaces, but I'm not sure what's going there.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
I think I posted this in another thread, but my wife and I never go out to eat. For some reason, we went every Saturday for 3 weeks, and every time we were waiting for about an hour. I had a friend in town from Jacksonville on Tuesday, so I took him to Quaker Steak. We got the last available table, and there wasn't a single empty seat at the bar.

I still think the BJ's situation is a testament to our local economy. Name another warehouse-type store that can close down, and within days they break ground to convert it into another retail place? Usually those huge buildings sit on the market for years, but not here. I know it's been a few years, but when Lowe's moved to Greenridge, it took Jeff Lynch Appliance what, like a week to starting giving the old Lowe's building a face-lift?

Now you have this development on Wade Hampton starting (Best Buy, Kohl's, etc), and as far as I know, Magnolia Park on Woodruff Rd is still on schedule.

PS - Our waitress at Quaker Steak actually told me that the Greenville location was ranked 2nd of all QS locations for wing sales in January.
that place is jammin, and the wings are awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area