Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM

148 posts, read 287,715 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, a friend of mine keeps reminding me that sc is third on the highest unemployment list in the country. We are planning a move to Greenville next spring. Anyone have stats or info that I can tell her to politely put a cork in her bottle. It's tough everywhere. She's means well, but she's giving me a pain where a pill can't reach. Please Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Sure, just tell her she's wrong - we recently moved up to second highest, behind only Michigan. If you're looking for statistics to justify moving here in relation to other states, you're going to be hard-pressed to find 'em. The only good reason for being here is because you want to be...

Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Tell your friend to stop assuming that everyone and everything in a state are the same. Just because one area in SC has 20% unemployment does not mean that an area in the state several hours away has the same economy, same people, etc. (because it likely doesn't). People tend to view other areas of the country as homogeneous, when in fact they are not. There are various areas in South Carolina, each with their own levels of education, urbanity, progressiveness, etc.

Greenville is a growing area that has been chosen as one of the 10 best metros in the US for weathering the economic downturn. People here are friendly, the real estate market is holding steady, companies are locating here and adding jobs, and the quality of life is very high.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
SC has ONE county (Lexington) below the national unemployment average. SC unemployment hits 10.4 percent in January - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/03/11/ap6154981.html - broken link)

Things are tough all over....

Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM

148 posts, read 287,715 times
Default Go Greenville

You Go Greenville, thanks so much I needed that. I will pass along the great advice and tell her to let it alone. You made my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Tell your friend to stop assuming that everyone and everything in a state are the same. Just because one area in SC has 20% unemployment does not mean that an area in the state several hours away has the same economy, same people, etc. (because it likely doesn't). People tend to view other areas of the country as homogeneous, when in fact they are not. There are various areas in South Carolina, each with their own levels of education, urbanity, progressiveness, etc.

Greenville is a growing area that has been chosen as one of the 10 best metros in the US for weathering the economic downturn. People here are friendly, the real estate market is holding steady, companies are locating here and adding jobs, and the quality of life is very high.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
In the retail and dining sectors, Greenville has mostly been affected by the occasional closing of national retailers like Circuit City, while quality local shops and restaurants continue to open and thrive. We still see franchised restaurants opening here in Greenville before anywhere else in the state. New hotels and offices are being constructed in and around the city at a steady pace as well. Schools are seeing attendance records broken annually and still perform as well or better than the state average. Urban revitalization hasn't missed a beat as older condemned homes are constantly being demolished and replaced with beautiful new affordable neighborhoods near downtown in several directions. Most are taking the shape of quaint traditional neighborhoods reminiscent of the early 1900s.

Sure times are tough for the vast majority of people across the U.S., but Greenville is definitely holding strong in relation.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Will the high unemployment rate cost South Carolina's growth to slow down?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Will the high unemployment rate cost South Carolina's growth to slow down?
Not in the big three, only in the rural areas.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 PM

139 posts, read 545,881 times
Well the heating bill alone will be lots less! We moved from Ohio and the general cost of living is lower. It applies to Philly also. You can compare them at this site link would prove it Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed Just click cost of living & put in your cities. You can also compare the economies & a lot of other things. Good Luck!

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
In the retail and dining sectors, Greenville has mostly been affected by the occasional closing of national retailers like Circuit City, while quality local shops and restaurants continue to open and thrive.
Sorry, but I call BS. I know and work with several local business owners. Revenues are down 25-50% over last year. Two of these companies are looking for buyers, or they'll be shut down in the next two months. I've been laid off, and was fortunate to get a new job that hundreds applied for, albeit for less pay than I used to make. Underemployment is also high here.

The other projects you speak of were started before this downturn/recession/whatever. Other projects are now on hold, and builders have gone bankrupt and shut down.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but your post paints a much rosier picture than reality dictates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area