U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 PM
LCM LCM started this thread

77 posts, read 167,599 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

We have an opportunity to relocate and have been researching the Greenville/Spartansburg area. Coming from New York State, I am hoping that we will see a significant decrease in property taxes (currently around $3,000 a year).

Can someone give me an estimate of what annual property taxes would be on, say, a 3 or 4 bedroom single-family home in a nice residential area? I realize that number would vary considerably from neighborhood to neighborhood, but I'd love any information you can provide.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 PM

915 posts, read 2,269,890 times
Well, you are right, the numbers will have some variance depending on area, square footage, acreage, etc. Therefore, I'll give you some medians, based on the following criteria: Greenville County, 6-20 years old, single-family homes, 3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, owner-occupant tax rate, currently available.

Based on that, here's the info:

Median Square Footage: 2,300
Median Price: $209,900
Median Property Tax: $1,102.24/year

I really hope that helps, but if you'd like me to base it off of different criteria, just let me know.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Wow. That was fast. Thanks, ckeegan!

That is the significant decrease I was hoping for .

Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 PM

6,552 posts, read 20,857,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM View Post
Wow. That was fast. Thanks, ckeegan!

That is the significant decrease I was hoping for .
Don't forget to factor in the personal property tax that applies to automobiles and boats. You won't get your license plates without paying the tax.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the warning. Really, though, I'm from New York. There's not a product or service here that doesn't have some kind of additional tax, surcharge, or fee.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 12,850 times
We are from upstate NY also. The taxes are the reason we are leaving.
We are paying $6000 in combined taxes( property+school) the school taxes are the highest.
With the low taxes in SC we will be able to retire and live comfortably vs. having to work till we die in NY.
We are going down in 2 wks to look around.
Do you know if there are school taxes on your property in SC?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 12,850 times
We are looking in the Anderson area

Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM

365 posts, read 933,276 times
We'll be moving down from Wisconsin to the Greenville area in about a year. I can tell you that we're looking foward to the lower property taxes & lower cost of living, as well as better overall weather year round! The property taxes on vehicles is something we don't have here (we pay $75 for yearly renewal fees though), but with it. it is still much less then the over $3,000 we pay now on a home with 1,300 sq.' The way the vehicle tax goes, the more expensive your car the more taxes you pay.
I wonder how those living in the area regard paying the vehicle tax. Do they opt to own a more used car to save on taxes, or does it not really matter?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 PM

6,552 posts, read 20,857,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
We'll be moving down from Wisconsin to the Greenville area in about a year. I can tell you that we're looking foward to the lower property taxes & lower cost of living, as well as better overall weather year round! The property taxes on vehicles is something we don't have here (we pay $75 for yearly renewal fees though), but with it. it is still much less then the over $3,000 we pay now on a home with 1,300 sq.' The way the vehicle tax goes, the more expensive your car the more taxes you pay.
I wonder how those living in the area regard paying the vehicle tax. Do they opt to own a more used car to save on taxes, or does it not really matter?
Depends on what your situation is. You will see a bunch of new cars but you will also see cars that would have hit the junk pile up north 10-20 years ago. Cars last longer down here. I've even seen a 80's Charger still on the road down here. Amazing because I owned one that didn't run worth a damn in Chicago.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM

511 posts, read 1,427,918 times
Default taxes

You can go to www.pickenscounty.org and get a tax estimate from the calculator there. Anderson will be a little higher than Pickens but it will not be major. You can always look up or have your realtor look at the taxes for last year as we pay one year in arrears. I don't mind the vehicle tax considering what you said you are paying. I prefer not to purchase a new vehicle due to the tax and depreciation but I am blessed to have a husband who can maintain my vehicle as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area