Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 AM

262 posts, read 824,479 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with the allergies being a surprise. Our daughter had 1 ear infection in her life 8yrs until we moved here. This year 3 and the dr. said they are allergy realated and to take allergy meds during peak pollen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 AM

99 posts, read 322,896 times
Default greenville

the amount of greenery in greenville, trees and beautiful shrubs everywhere. i love that you can go for a walk almost every day, the weather is great for that.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Another potential surprise will be the number and variety of "houses of worship" (churches) all over the area. I think it is a good thing and helps add to the character of the region, but it often takes people from the North by surprise. This area is well known as one of the most charitable places, and much of that is deeply rooted in the religious community.
I heard recently that we have the most churches per capita of any county in the country, not that that should come as a surprise, with BJU being right here and being in the "bible belt" as its called.

We also have the most fine dining restaurants per capita(well we did last time I checked anyway)

oh and the allergy thing? its weird, I had no allergies before we moved here and I seem to have gained them, while my wife, who had bad asthma and many allergy problems, seems to have a better time of it in this climate(as opposed to upstate ny), so weird....but be prepared for your car to be orange during allergy season, the pollen is nuts!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkirch123 View Post
I have to agree with the allergies being a surprise. Our daughter had 1 ear infection in her life 8yrs until we moved here. This year 3 and the dr. said they are allergy realated and to take allergy meds during peak pollen.
There are natural remedies which do work. I would highly recommend avoiding drugs if at all possible. One of my great doctors, Dr. Susan Stegall, has been a help to many in this regard. Fortunately I have never had allergies living in the Upstate, but I know people who have been significantly helped by getting their body's immune system back into balance using natural methods.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,171 times
I like this area a lot and really do believe that the positives outweigh the negatives. I have lived in a few cities in the South, including Charlotte, and have found that I have to be a more defensive driver than usual here. I spend a bit of time on Woodruff Road, and cars are forever pulling out of shopping centers where there are no traffic lights directly in front of cars that have the right-of-way. I am usually prepared for this now, but when I first moved here a couple of years ago, this really bothered me. There aren't enough traffic lights, or either the lights aren't synchronized in a way that allows for much time to have a clear path when pulling onto Woodruff Road, and so people just "gun it" and will pull out in front of you. OR they appear to be pulling out in front of you but stop short when they go into the center turn lane and then signal to merge.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 AM

262 posts, read 824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
There are natural remedies which do work. I would highly recommend avoiding drugs if at all possible. One of my great doctors, Dr. Susan Stegall, has been a help to many in this regard. Fortunately I have never had allergies living in the Upstate, but I know people who have been significantly helped by getting their body's immune system back into balance using natural methods.

Thanks for the info. I will look into this. I hate giving the antibiotics. Our dr. says to try to let her ride out the infection as they can clear on their own. So far it hurts her too much. I appreciate it.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM

39 posts, read 82,384 times
As a few people have mentioned, the drivers here. I don't notice the tailgating as much as some others but the running of red lights is bad. I've witnessed a few people just blow right through them when they were clearly red and hadn't just changed. The most memorable one was on my way home from work on US-25. This person in front of me was tailing a car and he/she would inch to the left into the center turn lane. When they'd get over enough a concrete medium would be there and they have to jerk the car over really fast to miss it. They did that for several miles until they had an opening to pass and they took off doing well over 80 in a 55. The light ahead was red and had been red... they blew right through it without tapping the brakes. Luckily no one was coming into the intersection but if there had been it wouldn't have been good. Just have to make sure, even if it's green to wait a few seconds and check left and right to be sure the people are stopping before entering the intersection.

I also notice people pull into parking lots and side streets extremely slow down here. However one thing that really surprised me about the drivers... they'll let you over. If you put your turn signal on, they'll open up a gap to let you over. Up north someone would speed up just to close the gap so you couldn't get over.

It's pretty dumb but gas stations were one I had to get used to. Up north we have major brands like Shell, BP, Marathon, Sunoco and that was about it. Down here you have most of the major brands or larger brands specific to this area like Spinx but then there are what seems like a ton of independent or lesser known brands. Stations like Hot Spot, Pumpers, Jakes, etc... It’s not too much of a big deal, just something to get used to if you wonder just how good the gas is there. There are also the prices, up north we only had one price per grade and that was it... down here, stations like Spinx advertise two, one for Credit and one if you pay by Cash/Debit which is about 8cents cheaper.

Churches... there's a Baptist Church about every two miles. We've tend to notice that while people are very nice down here, helpful, strike up a conversation with you in the grocery store... there seems to be this other side to some of them, not all, but some. People will go to church every Sunday/Wednesday then when they leave their attitudes change. Maybe it's something we're just seeing with some of the people around us but I've heard the same thing from others that have moved here too. I'm not saying everyone is this way as I've met people that are very nice, wonderful people. I've just noticed some that don't seem to practice what they preach when they go to church every week. As I said though, everyone down here isn't like that; most are extremely nice, pleasant, and helpful. One example is how different it is just to hear "Hello, how are you today? Can I take your order?" when you go through a drive-thru since I'm used to "Welcome to blah blah blah... what do you want?"

I was surprised to see just how many other transplants you met down here. When we talk to someone new that’s moving into the neighborhood, most all have been from people that are moving from somewhere up north. In a way it's sort of a good thing, like you don't feel as alone in the area but there are some of us northerners that really seem to give us all a bad rep. I've met a lot of southerners that still like to call us Yankees and don't like us moving down here. Overall, if you respect their culture, their way of life the people down here don't seem to have a problem.

I think thats about the major ones... So far it's been a good experience though. You're experience may be different from mine... I'm just stating things that I have noticed based on what I've seen over the past 2.5 years living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area