Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 17,703 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just found this section on this site, I'm really new here. I just started my own thread somewhere, else but I think this is the section I should have been in, lol. I'm going to paste all my questions about Greenville here!!

Hey everyone!

First, I want to say how much I love this site and how helpful I think it is.

My husband is looking in different states, trying to find an RN program to get into. It sounds like their is a big shortage of nurses in SC. We some how stumbled across GVLTEC. Has anyone attended the RN program their? My husband called, and it sounded like he wouldn't have much problem getting in. They go by a weighed point system. We can't find exactly how they calculate that, if anyone knows, that would be great.

My husband is only lacking A&P2 and communication, which he is taking in the fall, here in KY.

Can anyone tell me this: If moving out of state, should grants or financail aid pay more, since college will cost more? It seems very exp there when being out of state.

Also, we have 2 boys that are school aged: First grade abd Forth grade. Are the schools pretty good? I did a search on Craigslist and it seems that apartments are actually pretty cheap there. We did look into miami...man its so expensive there. We are living off of unemployment, my husband got laid off in November, the ocmpany got into some trouble, I guess, and now my husband has the chance to go to school full time and have it paid for and be on unemployment...so he is taking the opportunity. Our income is very limited, the move would be pretty hard on us, but him going to school, it would be well worth the struggle for a while.

Also, we would be looking for a church there. I found one that sounded awesome, but its so big, I feel like going to a big church, we wouldn't get to know the pastor or many other people there. Fellowshipping and building real relationships with people is very important to us.

Info about us:

Been married for 9 years
He is 37, she is 28
3 kids: Kailen 9, Judah 5, Josiah 7 wks
Pets: 2 dogs, Zion 4, Yahoo 3 =)

I love myspace and facebook too =-)

Thanks so much for any and all info given to help us know we are making the right move!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:20 PM

262 posts, read 824,278 times
Just wanted to say welcome! We moved here from Florida in Aug and are so happy we did. The schools are good here depending on the districts. Look into the different apartments and find out the schools. Then look at the report cards. I found in the area we looked for Easley area the apartments were not in the school district I preferred. Our neighbors go to gville tech and like it. She does many classes online. Good Luck

Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM

262 posts, read 824,278 times
oh, we go to new spring church. It is a big church but if you get involved with the different groups you get to know people very well. I feel very welcome there and the kids beg to go back. You can check them out at newspring.cc. Many people frown newspring because they call it a mega church. They have so many members, have opened 2 newer satelites, and have online service. They are doing something right! The message is bible based but put into todays life.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 PM

40 posts, read 110,250 times
Out of state tuition is always higher than in-state. The state of SC requires 12 months in the state to be able to claim residency, so unless he is willing to wait that amount of time the tuition will indeed be higher. You will not be awarded more aid just because it costs you more. In fact, you may find some aid not accessible to you since you will not have your residency. You may have to take out some federal student loans to bridge the gap. Greenville Tech is VERY easy to get into for transfer credits but the nursing program has stricter requirements. Make sure you double, triple, quadruple check on every question you may have as the staff is notorious for being less than professional and the Financial Aid office can be a nightmare.

I got my associates there, my best friend got her associates there, my mother took some courses, as well as my sister and my cousin. All of us have had the experience of constantly having to follow up on errors made in the Financial Aid office.

My cousin had to really work hard to get into the nursing program because they have limited registration and far more people apply than they have room for. But, she was changing programs so if your husband already has some credits that will transfer, he may have an easier time. Also, if he is planning on attending college after Tech, he will need to make sure he tells them that so that they can make sure as many credits as possible will transfer. My best friend lost a bunch of credits when she went from them to a better college, all because they did not "know" she wanted to continue college.

Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to let you know some things to look for because I sure wish someone had given me insight before I went there. Good luck. The good thing is Greenville is a wonderful place to live and your family will love it!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhaul Is My Friend View Post
My best friend lost a bunch of credits when she went from them to a better college, all because they did not "know" she wanted to continue college.
This shouldn't be a problem, seeing as Greenville Tech's Nursing program is top notch. Most of the area hospitals will hire a Greenville Tech program graduate for this over other state schools...

Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
Default admissions to nursing program at Greenville Tech

If you go to the Greenville Tech web site, Greenville Technical College | Greenville, SC, you'll find a weighted admissions form and information about the career talk sessions, which are required for admission to the nursing program. The assistant dean of health science/nursing can answer specific questions (250.8542).

Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 PM

7 posts, read 17,703 times
Wow, thanks so much everyone, for all the helpful replies. Sounds like a good school and a great area.

Does anyone know MT120 probability and statistics, what it is equal to? We call and they couldn't say, because they didn't know!!

My husband might try to the LPN instead of the RN, becaue of the point system, he is sfraid he wont have enough for the rn, after this fall he will tho, he is taking 3 or so classes this fall that are needed.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area