Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM

365 posts, read 1,006,655 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...
After making visits to the Greenville area & Bowling Green, Ky we have decided that Greenville will have more to offer us in our retirement years, so in about a year we hope to make it home
We would like input from those who have moved to the Greenville are from another state, about how they went about it. We will need to sell our house first, but let's say that's done. Do we find an apt. to rent online before we make the move? Make the move, stay in a motel for a few days to seek out an apt. to rent? Try to find a house to buy before we move down there, site unseen? What did you do? Do you regret the way you went about it, why? How would you have done it differently, Why?
Also, did you sell off most everything you own before you moved, or did you just put your belongings in storage until you found a house to buy, or did you use everything while renting, then move it all again?
Any suggestions will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,949,811 times
I just moved down in Dec. after having sold my home in Michigan in Sept. I rented and I am so glad I did as the areas I used to think I would want to live have changed somewhat. I think it takes a while to get your bearings around here and it takes some driving around with a bit more time to find areas that fit.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Rapunzil...
We will be moving from Wisconsin, so not to far from where you came from
We did spend three days in & around Greenville last month. We will want to be on the east side, north of Mauldin within in a 10 min. drive to Timmon's Park, or between Greenville & Greer. Another option is Easley, but we're not sure we want to be that far out.
How did you find the apts. to rent, did you find something before you moved or did you wait until you arrived in GV to find something?
Are you glad you made the move so far?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,949,811 times
So far, I am loving it! The area is beautiful, the people are nice, there is a lot less snow than northern MI, and much better BBQ!

I was on my way to look at a condo offered by a property management company and my GPS unit went wonky on me. I saw a for rent sign in a lovely area and signed a lease that afternoon. I made maybe four trips to GV before my actual move. I did this before my actual move, maybe a month or so prior to it.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 AM

470 posts, read 593,731 times
We've been down here a year so far and just moved into our house 3 months ago. I would highly recommend renting at first. So many areas are appealing at first but after you've lived in the area you'll find they may not be really what you wanted or as convenient to work or shopping. You just have such a better understanding of the area after 6 months or so.

On our first visit to Greenville we knew this is where we wanted to be. So we spent 2 days visiting apartment complexes, taking pictures of the models (I think we visited 8) and picking up applications. Once we got home we decided which one and applied from home. We probably did that 2 months in advance so we were sure they had one available. If another trip down is not out of the question I would do that. That way you'll know where your going. Or else you may have to settle for what's available instead of what you want.

We are originally from western NY (3 miles off of Lake Ontario and all that lake effect snow) I do not regret the move at all, best thing I've ever done. This really is a nice place to live. The people are friendly and Greenville (and surrounding areas) are just the right size (at least for me).

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 AM

10 posts, read 28,804 times
We are in the process right now. We will be renting for at least the first year. We have picked out some places by looking online. We will be heading down for a couple of days next week and checking them out.

Because we are looking at one bedroom apts., we will be selling some things. We won't need lawn mowers, etc. We're pretty serious about downsizing, so every day it seems there's something else we decide we can do without. LOL

We'll probably have a small storage unit for seasonal stuff like Christmas decorations. We have that here and it works for us.

I'm familiar with the area, but I would second everyone else's suggestions about coming down for a few days and getting the lay of the land. Maybe even renting that first year. Greenville is changing as I type this, and so are we. What may look great to you tomorrow won't when you've driven that last mile from WI. A year is a long time.

We'll be moving by October if all goes well.

With all of us retiring and coming to Greenville, we should have a Meet and Greet.

Last edited by luvgreenville; 06-11-2009 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Added content

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 AM

262 posts, read 822,408 times
We moved here in August. We did look at houses and apartments. It came down to the apartments were not in the school districts we wanted our children in. We felt they should not have to move twice. My folks who where moving up here to retire eventually found a nice home in the district and bought it. We now rent from them. I say rent first. Things can be hard to figure out when just on a trip. I would never look back we love it here!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 AM

Rapunzll...
That's kind of funny about your gps, maybe it had something to do with how it's a bit confusing regarding the way the streets are laid out (one side of the street being one thing, the other something else). I guess in your case, it ended up being a good thing I have been checking the temps. this week & am a bit surprised that it is as hot as it is there already, we've been in low 70's here As long as it isn't that humid, I'll be ok.
Wish we had the money to make as many trips down beforehand as you did, but that's just not going to happen

jbar1...
Has it actually taken you a year to find something you'd want to own, have you known for awhile the area you wanted to buy in? I can see where you're coming from about it taking time to have a better idea exactly what works best as far as situation goes. The thought of renting somewhat bothers me, having lived in our own home for so long, it feels like we're taking a step back having to deal with close neighbors & the noise
I suppose that will get us real busy searching for our "perfect place"
Maybe I can apt. hunt online then ask opinions of those responding to my post?? I do realize another trip down is the best idea though, it's just we'd rather save up as much money as we can before the move.
We will be happy to away from the long fridgid winters Wondering a bit about the longer summer heat though.

luvgreenville....
I believe the older we get, the less hassle & stress we want, especially when it comes to moving! If I never had to move again, it would be fine with me In this case, that's not reality though, I have to work more on being optimistic about it! Being realistic, there is no way that it would be more cost effective to sell most of what we have & buy new once we move, although it sounds like a good idea. We will have to live on less in retirement. It's going to be a whole new life for us! I'm not one that enjoys change all that much, but I think this change will be a good one I keep forgetting that this time I won't be doing it alone, hubby will be right by my side.
I wish you all the best in your move, hope it goes smoothly

Kkirch123...
It was much harder of a decision for you, having to search for a good school district to move to. I'm glad we don't have that to deal with
I'm hoping sometime in the next few years after we move, our children will follow to be near us It may never happen, but I can wish.
Everyone who has replied seems to really enjoy living in the GV area, that helps me to think we're making the right decision on location.

What I can add is that we are planning on downsizing, mainly financial wise. This won't be a move for a couple who has lots of bucks put away. We will be looking to purchase a home in the $125,00 price range. We will be living on SS & investments, fixed income. We know our money will go much further in GV then in Madison, Wi., especially personal property taxes! We're looking foward the nicer weather year round. We enjoy doing physical things like hiking (which there is plenty of), & playing disc golf (Timmon's Park, Greer, Easley, Simpsonville).
We would like to be able to bike ride, but other then mountain biking, it doesn't seem there is much. Well, maybe the new paved trail going from downtown to Traveler's Rest. I would like to be within a 5-10min. drive to shopping if possible. We don't want to live in a subdivision with houses upon houses, with no space in between. Don't like apt. living, so doubt a condo would be the best option for us.
By the way, do GV & surrounding areas offer curbside trash & recycle pick up? Being we pay more taxes here, I'm guessing there are some things we won't have as easy there.

Please keep the suggestions/ideas coming, we appreciate hearing what you have to say I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM

153 posts, read 934,131 times
Do not buy a home site unseen. I did that when moving to Greenville from Michigan and it was a huge mistake. The house I have is cute but they neglected to mention that the neighborhood is not desirable at all and if I didn't have four large dogs I might be afraid of living here in this area.

I was not able to rent first because of my pets, but if you don't have that problem I would suggest renting to get a feel for the areas and most importantly so you can see potential houses in person.

I don't regret moving to Greenville at all, I love it here, but I do wish I was able to do things differently so I wasn't stuck with a house in the bad side of town.

As for your question about belongings, I took only what would fit in my car and nothing more. It would have cost $900 for a Uhaul big enough to move all my crap and there was no way I was going pay that, so I sold what I could, left the rest and stuffed what would fit into my little Chrysler Sebring along with me, the dogs and cats and made the move in one trip. I don't miss my stuff, I took what was important and it's amazing what you find you can part with when you don't really have a choice. It is all replaceable.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 AM

39 posts, read 82,176 times
On our move we spent a few weeks looking at houses online and getting a list of addresses together. Then we took a trip here and went to look at all those houses. We did a few trips like this and after doing that and not finding anything we spoke to a realtor to see if she would be able to help us. She was very knowledgeable, honest... but a bit too honest sometimes. After a few trips here we found a neighborhood we liked and started the paperwork on it to have a house built.

At that time we were still trying to sell the house in Cincinnati so we made a few more trips down. Each trip we rent a small U-Haul trailer to start bringing stuff down and putting into self-storage then returning back to Cincinnati that same day. Not long after our house sold, we had 20 days to get out. From there we made a one or two more trips down, still bringing anything we could fit into a U-haul trailer and putting it into storage, looking for an apartment and getting our bank account setup here. On the last day we packed up everything into a big Penske truck and drove it down here, unloaded everything into self storage that we didn't need at the apartment and that was the end of that.

When we decided to move though we threw away or donated a lot of things that we didn't need or want anymore. We also sold most of our furniture and the people that bought our house also bought the washer and dryler. All in all we didn't have a whole lot of furniture to bring with us and just bought new once we moved into the house. Things like mattress we purchased in Cincinnati at HHgregg and gave them the address of the apartment down here to deliver to... worked out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area