Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM

36 posts, read 104,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Furmanpals is lying. 1,200 people applied for 120 jobs recently at Academy Sports. It was on WYFF. The job market here sucks.
I agree. I work at GHS (Greenville Hospital Systems) and there are only about 30 openings for nurses in the entire system right now. For other specialties, EMT etc I can assume it is much less. Job market really does stink here right now.

Plus, wherever you live there is always a chance you will be rezoned to a different school at some time in the future. With all the people moving here the schools can't keep up and rezone from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM

915 posts, read 2,410,637 times
First of all, I love living in the Greater Greenville area, and I'd have to be kicked out in order to leave. I personally live in the Simpsonville area, near Woodruff Rd / Five Forks, and I love it. My parents live near the Parkway and Pelham Rd (by Michelin), and they love it.

Ask the 8 people I've helped move here in the past 6 months, or the 2 coming in the next 30 days, how hard it was for them to find a job. They all secured employment prior to their move.

Why does everyone assume that everyone applying at Academy Sports was unemployed? You've never looked for another job, when you were currently employed with another company? Did WYFF ask everyone in line whether or not they were currently employed?

Last edited by ckeegan; 06-17-2009 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM

5,504 posts, read 15,262,280 times
People need to step back and look at the much larger national and global economic picture before quickly assessing the local job market when hearing or reading a story in the local news. Countless people are struggling to find jobs across the nation and around the world as we are in the midst of a major global economic recession. Let's be thankful that our nation's economy hasn't completely flatlined yet, despite leveling off and even shrinking within the past year. Regardless of the higher number of unemployed in the U.S. today, a vast majority of its citizens are still working and living comfortably so far.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 PM

22 posts, read 86,487 times
This might be a stupid question, but ... "Is Woodruff Road in Woodruff the city?" I do not know the area at all. I know Simpsonville was definitely one of the places that got my attention, but I saw a house in Reidville Crossing subdidvision in Woodruff (the city) that I liked. Since I don't know the area, I wasn't sure if Redville Crossing is a safe family oriented place (which is to my understanding what Simpsonville is like).

Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM

915 posts, read 2,410,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyanasf View Post
This might be a stupid question, but ... "Is Woodruff Road in Woodruff the city?" I do not know the area at all. I know Simpsonville was definitely one of the places that got my attention, but I saw a house in Reidville Crossing subdidvision in Woodruff (the city) that I liked. Since I don't know the area, I wasn't sure if Redville Crossing is a safe family oriented place (which is to my understanding what Simpsonville is like).
Not a stupid question at all, but no, Woodruff Rd is not in Woodruff the city.

I can't personally speak for Reidville Crossing, as I've never been there.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM

5,504 posts, read 15,262,280 times
Woodruff Road (Greenville, Mauldin and Simpsonville areas) is not really close to the town of Woodruff. The town is located in a rural area quite a long drive from most of the amenities in the metro areas of Greenville and Spartanburg. I know a couple of families living there who say it is nice.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:57 PM

365 posts, read 1,003,935 times
I'm not an expert, but from what I do know, Woodruff Road is in Greenville on the southeast side of the city. Get in touch with the Greenville Convention & Visitors Bureau to request a visitors guide. You can find some good info for GV & surrounding areas, including some map info.
I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a better answer the I did

Old 06-17-2009, 01:38 PM

22 posts, read 86,487 times
Thank you so much everyone!! I am getting so excited now. I think I am going with my original plan. That is to check out homes in Simpsonville (Greenville/ Mauldin areas too). It seemed just about perfect from what I saw & researched online, but I thought it was too good to be true. That's why I wanted some personal opinions. Turns out, it is just what I am looking for... once we find jobs of course.
And Skyliner - thanks for the pics of downtown Greenville are that you posted, too. It is sooooooo beautiful.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,527,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Furmanpals is lying. 1,200 people applied for 120 jobs recently at Academy Sports. It was on WYFF. The job market here sucks.
Furmanpals sure is lying. When he uses the word PLENTY to describe the availability of white collar jobs in Greenville that is a laugh!!

The only jobs that are plentiful here are the $8-$12 an hour jobs. Glad there is someone on these forums willing to be honest with people.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,780,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyanasf View Post
Thank you so much everyone!! I am getting so excited now. I think I am going with my original plan. That is to check out homes in Simpsonville (Greenville/ Mauldin areas too). It seemed just about perfect from what I saw & researched online, but I thought it was too good to be true. That's why I wanted some personal opinions. Turns out, it is just what I am looking for... once we find jobs of course.
And Skyliner - thanks for the pics of downtown Greenville are that you posted, too. It is sooooooo beautiful.
You'll love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area