Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 150,896 times

Advertisements

Ok, you folks who are native to Greenville, we're looking for a mature neighborhood with trees and neighborhood shoping with perhaps a pub and a coffee shop within walking distance...Is this too much to ask? How about if you suggest something close..Yep, we're looking for an older home and strolling environment.

Last edited by GoCubs; 04-15-2007 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: None done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 AM

40 posts, read 381,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubs View Post
Ok, you folks who are native to Greenville, we're looking for a mature neighborhood with trees and neighborhood shoping with perhaps a pub and a coffee shop within walking distance...Is this too much to ask? How about if you suggest something close..Yep, we're looking for an older home and strolling environment.
Aren't we all! Get in the back of the line. I'll let you know after I've found mine first...going there this week. Why moving from Charleston?

Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
I suggest looking around the Augusta Road/Street area first. There is more than one coffee shop (Starbuck's and Port City Java, that I can recall off hand) and lots of tall tree-lined streets with cozy older and newer homes. Major roads in that general vicinity include; McDaniel Avenue, Faris Road, Jones Avenue, and Crescent Avenue (my personal favorite).

Another area you will want to check out would be the North Main area. This is the area on and around North Main Street between Stone Avenue and Rutherford Street, just north of downtown. It is very beautiful and has lots of old trees and homes. I can't think of a coffee shop in the immediate area, however it is a pleasant walk to downtown's numerous options.

Other areas around downtown you may want to check out include the Hampton-Pinkney Historic District (Hampton Avenue area), The Pettigru Street Historic District, Cleveland Forest (Cleveland Park area), and Ridgeland Drive (also the Cleveland Park area).

Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks, Skyliner. Are there any areas that would just be a no-go because of deteriorating conditions or in some airport flight route even though they might be historic areas.

Also, I'm a cyclist. If I were on the north main side, would be able to "get out" of Greenville like going to Travelers Rest on some decent less-traveled roads?

Last edited by StillMissingNC; 04-17-2007 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
All of the areas I mentioned are nice established neighborhoods near downtown. The part of Augusta Road nearest to Mauldin Road and I-85 is less desirable, as is Hampton Avenue furthest away from downtown. Otherwise, these are some very nice old neighborhoods to check out. As a cyclist, I would recommend the North Main area or the Cleveland Park area. Cyclists regularly loop around the park in teams. If you decide to ride to Travelers Rest, you may wish to climb Paris Mountain via Altamont Road (a real workout!). A group of professional cyclists meet at Carolina Triathlon downtown on Saturdays and ride a regular route (I don't know exactly where, but I am sure Paris Mountain is included). Another thing to keep in mind about cycling in Greenville is that the city has plans to expand its paths, lanes, and trails beyond the city limits. One paved path (asphalt with a 2-foot rubberized composite running path next to it) will extend along a former railroad from downtown Greenville to downtown Travelers Rest. That will be the perfect connection between the two cities via bike.

Check out the official USA Cycling Professional Championships Road Race (broken link) website. This event is held in Greenville on Labor Day weekend and is very enjoyable.

Interested in the cycling community here in Greenville?

Read what George Hincapie's favorite ride is (http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-2-19-14456-1-P,00.html - broken link). He details how to get from downtown (from his shop on Pete Hollis Blvd.) to Travelers Rest much better than I could.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:39 PM

Whoa, you might confused me with a real cyclist! I can ride some pretty good hills, but not at a rate of 80miles in 4 hours.

Seriously, thanks a lot for info. That's definitely one thing that I like about Greenville is its attitude toward cycling. I had come across the railroad deal on the TR website...that sounds fantastic. At 66, I just hope keep it up long enough to take advantage of it.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 AM

35 posts, read 254,939 times
North Main has the Northgate Soda Shop, which hasn't changed in I don't know how many years! It's a fabulous place! You can get a Cherry Smash, coffee, or their soon-to-be-famous Pimento Burger that's going to be featured in an upcoming book, "Best Burger Joints in the U.S."

There's Rotary Park with a stream running through, huge trees, great old houses, and a neighborhood school. <swoon>

And, the trolley runs from North Main into downtown for the Greenville Drive baseball games... I can't wait to settle in!

MovingFromMichigan

Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 AM

35 posts, read 254,939 times
Okay, yes, the Cleveland Park area is nice, too, and a lot of it is walking distance to things like Port City Java.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:16 PM

11 posts, read 150,896 times
Super Hot and humid for 7 months a year and no-see-ums and mosquitos don't allow you to enjoy the outdoors. Hey, not to mention the constant threat of hurricanes in season, which is long, and there are major earthquake faults across the area, other than that, Charseston is charming.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM

81 posts, read 306,497 times
So there really is no hurricane risk in Greenville? Also are the nice neighborhoods nice throughout, or spotty, like in New Orleans Uptown where there are 3 blocks of immaculate mansions, then slums for the next 2 blocks and behind streets, then another stretch of safe and nice, etc. North Main area sounds wonderful, is it affordable and are there apts. or smaller bungalow homes to buy or rent?

Where is the organic food store/coop and the farmers market? Is there an old fashioned authentic/funky coffee house where people can linger or just chain places like Starbucks?

Since GV is in the foothills, are the summers as cold as in Asheville? I'm wanting to leave NE FL but love the hot and humid summers, wonder who cold GV winters are as well, is there snow?

Are there deciduous trees and fragrant flowers everywhere (dogwoods, honeysuckle, ligustrum) or is more pine tree and scrub pine?

Also if a kind soul could compare in general Greenville to Columbia, SC (major pros and cons, etc.) I'd appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area