U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 29,670,449 times

Advertisements

Hi--we're thinking of taking a 3-4 day or maybe even a full week trip to the Clemson area and need suggestions of a nice place to stay. We are making this trip to check out Clemson as a possible place for a relative to retire. But that's a secondary goal, we're really looking for a vacation.

A place on or near a lake would be ideal. Are there any resorts there that you'd recommend? A hotel would be fine, too. Is there anything to do there at night (a local playhouse, maybe?) We're not into golf or tennis, but we do love water sports. Horse riding might be fun, or hiking, or walking through quaint towns. Are there possibly any beaches near you?

We're very flexible, can come any time of the summer or fall (although summer works better if it's at all tolerable).

Does any of this sound like it matches your area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM

262 posts, read 784,767 times
Here is a bed and breakfast out on highway 11. It has views of the table rock mountain and says it is close to the state park which has a nice lake. It is about 40 minutes or so from clemson and maybe the same from gville. It looks nice.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM

This may help lol...

The Inn at Table Rock - formerly The Schell Haus
117 Hiawatha Trail
Pickens, SC 29671
USA

Phone: +1-864-878-0078Toll-free: +1-877-226-3210

Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 PM

5,499 posts, read 14,690,580 times
You might try The Reserve at Lake Keowee. They offer a guest house with six suites and extensive real estate discovery packages available.

Also be sure to check out The Cliffs Communities and consider participating in their extensive discovery tour (http://www.cliffscommunities.com/discover-the-cliffs/ - broken link) as guests. One of their favorite options for guest lodging and dining is the award-winning La Bastide Country Inn (http://www.cliffscommunities.com/la-bastide/default.asp - broken link), a recommended hotel by Conde Nast Johansens.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 AM

The Guest House at the Reserve sounds perfect, I'll definitely look into it. What do you think of the idea of visiting in July? How's the weather at that time of year?

And is there any sort of a play house or maybe a place to hear music? I've heard there's a theatre in Henderson NC which looks like about an hour's drive. Is there anything closer?

I do apologize for being so ignorant about the area. The more I take a look at western South Carolina the more I'm getting excited about this, looks like Dad may have found a gem after all.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Oh, one other question: What's the best way to get there from Dulles Airport (Washington DC)? Should I fly to Charlotte and then Greenville, or is there a better option? Or can I take a train to Greenville?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM

we drive from here to md. alot. I take i95 to i85 and it takes you right into sc and our area. There are many little playhouses here. Off the top of my head I believe there is one in clemson, seneca, and easley. A larger one in gville. Our weather right now is in the low to mid 90's. I think it is warm but I prefer cooler times.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,252,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Oh, one other question: What's the best way to get there from Dulles Airport (Washington DC)? Should I fly to Charlotte and then Greenville, or is there a better option? Or can I take a train to Greenville?
Um, fly into Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport. There are direct flights from Dulles to Greenville many times throughout the day.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 PM

4,187 posts, read 7,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
And is there any sort of a play house or maybe a place to hear music? I've heard there's a theatre in Henderson NC which looks like about an hour's drive. Is there anything closer?
You're probably referring to Flat Rock Playhouse, just outside Hendersonville. It has a great history and reputation... worth the drive.

Brevard, NC is just above Travelers Rest and offers a lot of musical events in the summer. Brevard Music Center

Sorry I don't know anything about playhouses closer by. I've only lived here about a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area