Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 18,557 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, well my family and i are relocating to greenville, iam coming up on the 12th of May, and my wife and kids 2 months later in July. I'll be working for a company in Greer, and i was wondering if anyone can give me some advise as to where the better neighborhoods are, and where to stay away from. We kind of been looking at either Greer, bc the office is in Greer, but we've heard good things about Simpsonville, and Mauldin, as far as less crime and better schools for the kids but its also a longer commute to and from the office. So if anyone can give me their opinions on Greer vs. Sville, Mauldin, and even Travelers Rest that would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 59,127 times
Hi Gabbmerc: My family and I are relocating to Simpsonville in June and we are very excited. I found that area to be the best for shopping and schools, traffic is kinda heavy in the afternoon, but after living in DC and then Raleigh, it's nothing. I am sure the locals do not feel that way. We found a home in the Stonehaven neighborhood and everyone we have met so far have been very nice! I am hoping that my kids make friends quickly. I will tell you that it is a sellers market in the Simpsonville area for some neighborhoods. We were not prepared for that. I guess we thought that it would be a little cheaper than Raleigh, but to be in Mauldin school district, we had to go up in price for the kind of house we were looking to buy.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:50 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Simpsonville is a great growing community, but you may find it to be a bit of a drive to Greer, depending on exactly where in Greer you job is located. I would definitely recommend Simpsonville for families since there is plenty to do there and the schools are good. Mel1966 mentioned a great subdivision called Stonehaven. It is on Woodruff Road more in the Mauldin or Five Forks communities than Simpsonville, but closer to Greer. I would also recommend checking out the Pelham-Batesville area for a home. This is a growing community to the east of Greenville and south of Greer with nice shopping, dining and a new hospital under construction, and is a closer drive to Greer via S.C. highway 14.

For a Greenville area map, here is a link that includes the Pelham-Batesville area.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,166 times
I am relocating from California to Simpsonville in mid-June. I am buying in Bradley Oaks, a small 45 home development off of Woodruff Road, where prices are between $285,000 to the high $300k. One other development that I really liked was Pelham Falls. I thought that the houses were attractive and the folks that I met while driving there were very nice and represented a diversity in age from young folks with kids to people in their late 40's-50's. There are about 6 houses for sale now in that development.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
My wife and I moved to Greer about a month ago from Los Angeles. We looked everywhere (our poor realtor should soon be nominated for sainthood) I mean literally everywhere; G'ville, Easley, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn, Taylors, Travelers Rest, Mauldin, and Greer. Told ya!

We settled on a nice brand new development called ridgecreek estates, on 14 north of wade hampton. A little further out than we planned but the value was awesome and 1/2 acre lot backing up to the woods. Amazing. We liked Simpsonville, but if I wanted a backyard the size of a welcome mat I would've stayed in Cali. Plus it does cost more there. If you have any ?'s feel free to ask or pm me.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 AM

15 posts, read 59,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
My wife and I moved to Greer about a month ago from Los Angeles. We looked everywhere (our poor realtor should soon be nominated for sainthood) I mean literally everywhere; G'ville, Easley, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn, Taylors, Travelers Rest, Mauldin, and Greer. Told ya!

We settled on a nice brand new development called ridgecreek estates, on 14 north of wade hampton. A little further out than we planned but the value was awesome and 1/2 acre lot backing up to the woods. Amazing. We liked Simpsonville, but if I wanted a backyard the size of a welcome mat I would've stayed in Cali. Plus it does cost more there. If you have any ?'s feel free to ask or pm me.
Sonrise: There are plenty of houses in Simpsonville that have lots 1/2 acre and more. I looked up your neighborhood, Ridgecreek Estates, and your right, if you want something nice, you are going to pay more. If I wanted a starter home I would have looked in your neighborhood. And my house is made up of a lot of welcome mats that make for a nice size yard!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Wow mel,
You're really personalizing things with me. Big mistake. Arrogant condescension is not welcome in this area, at all. Maybe elitism is considered "cool" where you come from. It isn't here. For the record, "my starter home" as you put it has 9' vaulted ceilings with crown molding, the formal dining room has crown molding also and wainscoting around the walls. Hardwood floors, real hardwoods, not laminates, in all common areas including an open living room. This development is custom built by a small father and son company that are a phone call away. I actually have the sons cell phone #. The people here are all upper middle class and even if they weren't I judge someone by their character not the size or price of their house.

I would ask you to come up and visit but you're obviously better than us.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Drop it guys, please.
Yac.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:16 AM

10 posts, read 43,967 times
Smile Hopefully moving to Greenville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Simpsonville is a great growing community, but you may find it to be a bit of a drive to Greer, depending on exactly where in Greer you job is located. I would definitely recommend Simpsonville for families since there is plenty to do there and the schools are good. Mel1966 mentioned a great subdivision called Stonehaven. It is on Woodruff Road more in the Mauldin or Five Forks communities than Simpsonville, but closer to Greer. I would also recommend checking out the Pelham-Batesville area for a home. This is a growing community to the east of Greenville and south of Greer with nice shopping, dining and a new hospital under construction, and is a closer drive to Greer via S.C. highway 14.

For a Greenville area map, here is a link that includes the Pelham-Batesville area.
Thank you Skylar for your valuable time answering questions about moving to Greenville. This forum is more interesting...sometimes funny compared to the time I have spent mulling over greatschools.net and the standard city websites.

My husband just started a job in Lagrange, GA and he has the option to work out of Spartenburg, SC. It seems like Greenville would be a more pleasant place for us to raise our 3 kids than outside of Atlanta. I am very concerned about schools with all of our moving around. I have pretty much settled on Mauldin school district or Wren.

My question is how would the daily commute be for my husband to Spartenburg from those places?

Merci d'avance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area