Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,501 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in Greenwood and I have been searching for information on schools. My son is 16 and is interested in military, specifically marines. I also have a 5 year old daughter, so info on elementary and high schools would be great. My mother in law is also relocating with us. She is looking for affordable, low cost senior housing. Any information would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:04 PM

915 posts, read 2,433,432 times
I'm sure you'll get some great input from different people on here, but I've always been a big fan of the following website: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

You can see ratings, and read reviews from parents. Just a tool that I thought I would share.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 10,233 times
you may not be interested at all, (or able, due to job) but if you have ever considered homeschooling, now is the time to do a little research! I'm also moving to that area from california, and began homeschooling my kids (3rd grade) a year ago. (I have two college kids that did public school k-12) Homeschooling has been the best thing ever! Complete freedom to do whatever we wish. We can read all day in our pjs if we want, or drive to a museum, or just spend day hiking. Much easier than dealing with school, meetings, pickup, dropoff, homework, conferences. It frees you up as far as where to shop for a new home, as well. Just a thought....

Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,501 times
anniegirl- homeschooling is not for me,best of luck.
Tinabean- Thank you so much for all of your advice!! I will look into the schools you mentioned. Good Luck selling your house!!
Great Schools has been very helpful.
Anymore information willbe helpful!!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Default NY to GWD

A few shockers to be ready for when you move from states other than some of the other southern states (like GA)...blue laws, the heat, and the education system.

Pros:
People are generally kind and inviting. Pretty conservative here (can be pro or con).

Low cost of living.

Close proximity to Greenville (hippest city around here), Charlotte, Athens, and Columbia

Negatives:

The education system here is sorely lacking. If you are concerned about your child's education, SC is NOT for you. My parents were from here but I am a transplant from Denver and was about 5-6 years more advanced educationally than the equivalent grade.

Blue Laws - has to be one of the most rediculous set of laws still in play here - no alcohol sales on Sunday (not a big deal) but only special privaleged businesses can open before 1:30pm on Sunday (Grocery, drug stores, gas stations). Car breaks down, need to repair something at home - forget it.

The heat - winters are very mild...summers not so much. Steamy and sticky. I've known some people who enjoy the sauna-like temps but normal people prefer it a little milder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area