U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM

16,834 posts, read 15,327,320 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Greenville and wanted to know what you LOVE about Greenville ? Any things you don't love about it ?

Anyone have pics of neighboring counties as well as Greenville ...such as Easley , ect , please post them here if its okay with the Mods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,199,977 times
Things I LOVE about Greenville:

-One of the best downtown areas you will find anywhere (really)
-Clean city (especially downtown)
-Diverse population (you will hear other languages being spoken all the time)
-Genuinely friendly and nice people
-Good corporate presence (Michelin, BMW, etc.)
-Proximity to the mountains (even if you don't go to the mountains, they provide a nice backdrop)
-Four seasons a year (fall colors are beautiful, and the Greenville winter is just about perfect to me)
-City of Greenville's visionary leaders and their attention to detail
-"New South" attitude/feel

Specific places/things in Greenville that make me smile:

-Driving inbound on I-385 North, between the Haywood Road and Pleasantburg Drive exits, there is a stunning view of the mountains in the distance
-The Court Street area downtown
-Falls Park in the West End
-Driving along Beattie Place from I-385 into downtown, on the hilly road with the tall buildings all around you
-Sitting in High Cotton with views of the Reedy River, with the Peace Center and downtown just across the way
-The view of the downtown skyline as you come over the top of the hill on Wade Hampton Boulevard
-Breathtaking views from the top of Caesar's Head

Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,996,572 times
How about 3 hours to the beach or to Pigeon Forge.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
How about 3 hours to the beach or to Pigeon Forge.
So your favorite thing about Greenville is its proximity to other places?

Last edited by Greenville; 08-09-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,996,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
So your favorite thing about Greenville is its proximity to other places?
Yep, been here all my life and I love the fact that I can be at the mountains or the sea in 3 hours. I know people who have moved here because it is 1/2 way between Ohio and Florida. Go figure.
BTW - All you said is true too.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 AM

897 posts, read 2,126,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I want to move to Greenville and wanted to know what you LOVE about Greenville
The fact that Greenville by far outshines the other major metros of our state in a variety of ways, for example:
-The best shopping mall in the state (Haywood)
-The best performing arts venue for Broadway shows in the state (Peace Center)
-The newest and best (and best located) minor league ballpark in the state

Other things I love:
-The overall variety of restaurants and shopping
-One of only two Whole Foods in the state
-Regional tourism draws (Childrens Museum, Upcountry Museum, downtown)
-Bi-Lo Center brings in major concerts
-No shortage of weekend festivals and summer concert series in area

Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 AM

5,496 posts, read 14,519,296 times
I could easily go into much greater detail under each of these favorite categories, but in the interest of time and netiquette, enjoy these few quick descriptions.

Things I LOVE about Greenville
  • Location - The beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains are very close and are a perfect place to getaway year-round, but especially during the heat of summer. The legendary Atlantic Coast is only a few hours away for nostalgic beach vacations. The city's nearly equidistant position between Atlanta and Charlotte on a major highway artery has been critical for the region's growth and sustainability. The climate is generally mild, less affected by the cold winter weather of the mountains, and noticeably less hot during the summer than the Midlands. All of these are important, plus the fact that the Upstate is a very attractive area as well, with great natural resources all around.
  • Pleasant People - Most of the people I know and meet are genuinely friendly compared to other places I have been around the country.
  • Rich Culture - An abundance of outstanding art studios, galleries, theatres, and festivals provide the city and region a plethora of cultural enrichment year-round. My personal favorite local cultural organization is the Greenville Symphony Orchestra.
  • Family Friendliness - Great care is consistently undertaken to ensure the city remains attractive and safe for people of all ages. Families are usually a priority when planning for public space is underway.
  • Affordability - Nearly everyone can comfortably shop, dine, and enjoy an array of dynamic entertainment on a tight budget in the Upstate. Real estate remains affordable in most areas and gas prices are typically among the lowest in the U.S.
  • Outdoor Activities - Hiking, camping, running, cycling, swimming, sailing, fishing, golf, tennis, and much more...
  • Ethnic Diversity - A diverse international population certainly brings challenges, yet it also offers us a wealth of cultural opportunities normally reserved for much larger cities.
  • Local Leadership - While everyone living in this community is responsible for the realization and achievement of our city's (and region's) highest potential, it is ultimately critical that we have leaders who are willing to encourage and guide progress along the way. Thankfully, such people have been in place for many years now, helping transform a formerly "dead" downtown into a vibrant center for economic, cultural, recreational, and educational excellence.

Intangible Quality
  • Influenced by a deeply rooted religous tradition, the Greenville community never fails to rise up when charitable generosity is called upon.

Things I dislike about Greenville
  • The city's association with the state of South Carolina. This includes everything from common perception/reputation, to annexation, transportation infrastructure, finances, and more.
  • Unregulated suburban sprawl
  • Slowly deteriorating Westside
  • Some of the city Design and Preservation Commission's decisions.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 PM

745 posts, read 2,109,918 times
We were stunned the first time we saw Greenville. My only experience with SC up to that point was driving along I-95. We were looking for property in GA, and then heading up to VA for vacation. On a whim, I decided to detour through the Upstate, taking Rt 11 along the mountains. I simply never realized SC had mountains! A man we talked to said, "You HAVE to see downtown Greenville." I'm not much of one for cities, but that's what sold us. I fully expected to see a shabby, dingy old southern mill town, and found it to instead be a vibrant, alive city. To me, it's just the right size- easy to enter, navigate and exit. Plenty of entertainment and eating choices, and the friendliest people anywhere. Every trip, we head into the city, and inevitably end up striking up a conversation, and making new friends. We bought some land about 15 miles north of the city, and will be building within the next year or so. Meanwhile, we visit twice a year, and find new things to love every time. Other than downtown, we go hiking in the various parks along Rt 11 every time we visit.

Some specific likes-
Victoria Vineyards
Table Rock
Falls Park
Pettigru Place B&B
Oconee County (waterfalls!)
Furman campus
Friday Night Jazz downtown

Like Skyliner, I'm concerned about unregulated growth. Coming from the dense suburbs of west central FL, I know all too well what it could end up looking like. Our property is big enough and remote enough that we probably won't be effected by the growth much, but the powers-that-be need to be on top of it. Although growth is generally good for a community, there are a lot of undesirable things that come with it.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM

262 posts, read 777,452 times
what kind of picks of easley do you want? There is downtown, country, etc... I live here and can take some if I know what u want. We love easley. It is central location so you are not far from gville or anderson. Love being in the country yet to the store in 20 minutes or so.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 PM

16,834 posts, read 15,327,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkirch123 View Post
what kind of picks of easley do you want? There is downtown, country, etc... I live here and can take some if I know what u want. We love easley. It is central location so you are not far from gville or anderson. Love being in the country yet to the store in 20 minutes or so.
I would love to see pics of the nature , the trees , waterfalls , countryside , anything beautiful. I realize Greenville might not have waterfalls but surrounding areas would be great. I only know of Easley off the top of my head.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area