Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
RestedTraveler,
Thanks for the info. How are "outsiders" viewed? It is always difficult to start over in a new place. You hear that in a lot of areas in different states that people are not happy with "outsiders" especially people re-locating from Florida, who also may be originally from New York like I am. (Please everyone spare the New Yawka comments, very annoying). I just want to live in a nice place, have peace and quiet, hopefully meet some nice people and live happily ever after. You said that you moved from Orlando, how was the transition? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
I can say with very little hesitation that outsiders are not viewed with any disdain here in Travelers Rest. Practically everybody in my neighborhood moved into the area from somewhere else. My wife plays Bunko (google it, if you are curious) with other women in our neighborhood on a regular basis. A number of them are from Florida by way of somewhere else (PA, NY, etc.). We're a community of half-backs, I suppose. Also, there are a number of people that came to this area from other parts of Greenville or even South Carolina, many of whom came here to attend Furman or Clemson and decided to remain in the area. The only "outsider" feeling I have gotten at all from living here is when we first moved here and went to vote...our neighborhood had it's very own little voting booth while the entire rest of T.R. couldn't use it. I figured out later that it was because my neighborhood had recently been annexed into the city and we had a different county council representative from the rest of T.R. The mayor of T.R. (Roy Reynolds) has said many times that it is the people moving into T.R. that are going to be what makes it an even greater place to live (especially considering the tax revenue we bring with us ... LOL!).

That reminds me...I forgot to mention the T.R. Master Plan:

This is tied into the Rails-to-Trails project I mentioned previously and involves a complete re-making of downtown T.R...work has already gotten underway on this (moving utility poles and utility lines, etc.).

Other than the weather, the transition to T.R. from O-Town was very easy. I grew up in WV, so I was used to (more or less) the colder weather during the winter. My wife is an O-Town native, so she was less prepared for it, but we both very quickly adapted. Life is much slower here than it was in O-Town...mainly due to the traffic and the pace at which construction goes (very slow as compared to just about anywhere else I've seen). People are more relaxed and laid-back here, that's for sure. It's much less stressful on me, personally...and my commute is about three seconds from my bedroom to a computer in my office down the upstairs hallway, so that helps, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,244 times
Awesome post about the master plan, Rested Traveler!

Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,715 times
Thank you! :-)

Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 26,196 times
Default Also looking at relocating to TR

RestedTraveler, thank you for your pictures and input. I have been looking at the Greenville area and areas in the low country like Beaufort, but I might be sold on Travelers Rest. I'm a country boy trapped in Northern VA and need to escape. I've never been to the Greenville area but have family in Asheville, NC and loved it there (besides all the crazy hippies). I went to college in Roanoke, VA and really enjoyed my time there. The scenery is similar in TR and the weather is better. I don't see how I could go wrong. My biggest problem has been with the job market (especially checking in the Beaufort area) when searching certain areas. I haven't checked Greenville extensively yet, but if you know of any good websites or have any suggestions, I would be most appreciative. I do Medical Administrative work primarily and Greenville seems to have a well developed healthcare system, so that is promising. I'm glad to hear that outsiders are not shunned in your area unlike some other areas in South I have read about. I have one last inquiry for any of the TR locals that is probably the question most dear to my heart...how is the fishing down there?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
What type of fishing do you prefer? Though I am not a TR resident, I love fly fishing several nearby trout streams. The best lake fishing nearby is not too far west, over at Lake Jocassee, Lake Keowee, and Lake Hartwell. The 2008 Bassmaster Classic (http://www.cumminghome.com/living/5_8/2008-bassmaster-classic-to-be-held-in-greenville.shtml - broken link) will be hosted by Greenville in February and the competition will occur on Hartwell and Keowee.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:25 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
^^ fishing is pretty good here for me so far, have caught a few bass and catfish out here on my dock on Lake Saluda. can't wait to buy a boat but with the move and being in between jobs it might be a bit i'm new to fishing so when ya come down maybe I'll show ya the lake and you can give me some pointers?(lol j/k)

Old 07-12-2007, 01:25 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,095 times
I grew up in South Louisiana with a rod and reel in hand. I moved up here and quickly got a dose of reality. It seems we had it extremely good back home. I've been fishing the area lakes here for 8 years and have yet to have a day I considered a success as far as catching fish is concerned. That's not to say I don't have a wonderful time trying The scenery alone is worth all the time and effort. I had one day on Lake Greenwood that I caught 4 nice size largemouth. My second best day was 2 small largemouth on Hartwell. That's out of roughly 60 trips.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:02 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,560 times
It's that hot sauce you're puttin' on your worms, Tony!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:21 PM

122 posts, read 488,456 times
Hi all. I'm new to this forum (been active on the NC forum for some time). How far in miles and how long in driving time is Travelers Rest from downtown Greenville?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,095 times
Roughly 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area