Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 PM

266 posts, read 1,164,398 times

Advertisements

Wife and I visited the G'ville-S'burg area a few months ago. We love it, but since living in central FL, I want to be wise with any move I make - counting all the costs. I realize the following questions are very broad, but can any of you help me out with some numbers?

If I move to the Simpsonville area and purchase a home for $250K, what might I be looking at for....

1. Property taxes (county/city)?
2. Homeowners insurance?
3. General HOA dues?

I would like to make a comparison on utilities costs, could you tell me what the cost is for....

1. Electric ($/kwh)
2. Water ($/1000 gallons)
3. Gas (I'm not sure of the unit of measurement for this one)

Also, is there an easy formula for determining state income tax and car tax?

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 05:07 PM

5,598 posts, read 15,431,872 times
It is great to hear that you love the Greenville-Spartanburg area so much. I wish you could spend more time here and experience the many "hidden" treasures this region has to offer year-round. It truly is a very uniquely pleasant and exciting place to live.

Regretfully, I do not have the numbers you requested, but I will be very glad to direct you to some of the people who do have the numbers:

Greenville County Government

Greenville City Government (http://www.greatergreenville.com/ - broken link)

Chamber of Commerce for Greater Greenville, SC

Spartanburg County Government

City of Spartanburg

Anderson County Government

City of Anderson

Pickens County Government

Upstate Alliance

Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM

55 posts, read 238,065 times
I can't comment much on utilities in Simpsonville as I do not live there, but I do work there and can comment on housing questions.
As far as the HOA goes, expect anywhere from $150-$300 per year depending on the neighborhood. Some neighborhoods are cheaper but I have found very few that are more expensive than that.
Taxes will generally be about 1% of the purchase price of the house. It won't work out to be exactly 1% because they calculate it differently but it will be roughly around 1%.
Homeowners insurance will vary but you should probably be prepared to pay around $450 or $500 per year.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,729,214 times
Brasstech,
With all due respect we love to help here but you've gotta do a little research on your own, I mean come on. Do you want us to look at homes for you also? Your not asking for generalities but detailed leg work that people get paid a lot of money to do. Everything you're asking can be looked up in about 15 minutes. We all did it, so can you.

I don't mean to be a jerk and I apologize if I sound like one but we all did some research before we moved here, all I ask is that you do the same. Housing developments, restaurants, shopping and places to see, I'll be glad to help. But the stuff your asking for is a little over the top. Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Sorry, Sonrise....

....but if ya don't like the question, don't respond.

The fact is that you can do a great deal of research (which I have done - to the point of pinpointing half a dozen properties to choose from) and get the figures from the various governmental agencies, but I wanted to hear from the residents - particularly as it relates to utilities costs.

i.e., on a recent trip to the area, I found that (according to a resident I talked with) the cost of water usage in the area is about 1/3 of what I presently pay. That may not be true for the whole area - it varies around here with some areas of town being subsidized, so their utilities bill is not a true reflection of the area in general.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 AM

15 posts, read 59,235 times
I have to agree with you, Brasstec. The questions that you have asked can be found out by calling different agencies, searching online, but from the beginning of time, the best possible information/advice that you can get is asking someone who has lived it or experienced it.
I am relocating in June and I have been down there many times, but I would like to know what people are paying for electricity (ballpark #'s obviously),
H2o, gas (I heard that electric was cheaper than gas for heating, not so in NC).

Hopefully someone local will have some answers for us newbies to the area.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 04-27-2007 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: personal attack edited out.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,729,214 times
Mel,
The name calling is really uncalled for. If you actually go back and read my posts you'll see that I often go above and beyond what most people would. However Brasstec was asking people stuff that goes way beyond neighborly advise, he was looking for spread sheets, demographics and economic projections. That's not what this forum is for. I know a guy named Google or maybe his cousin Yahoo that would be better help than any of us. As a matter of fact everyone that has moved here has used one or both of these resources, all I did was ask Brass to do the same.

If either of you have general questions regarding neighborhoods, restaurants, activities and such I'm more than willing to help if I can. This was not that however. Please no need for name calling. Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Ha, Sonrise....man, you know how to back-pedal! Hope you have a better day tomorrow - sounds like someone dropped a fly in your grits this mornin'!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,223,779 times
What a completely rude post! MANY people have posted similar questions to the Florida forum and I have been happy to answer in detail. If you don't want to take the time to answer honest questions - ignore the post! There is no reason to belittle and insult the poster.

I'm originally from SC, and hope this is not an example of what the good people in SC are like these days. The South Carolina I remember is one where people thought nothing of going out of their way to help one another. It was considered good manners.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,749,555 times
Calm down people, please.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area