Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:20 PM

66 posts, read 286,340 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to give some information to those looking in the Greenville area. My husband and I just got back from 3 days there and I found it be a very nice city with a very nice down town. I thought it was larger than what I wanted. The crime some people said was on the raise but nothing big. There were alot of townhomes and condos it seemed going in. Over all a nice city, but too large for my tastes. There were plenty of resturants but the thing that I found that was strange was all of the stores down town closed at 6:00 and very few were open on Sunday. The resturants were open but not the stores. Greenville is a lot nicer than Spartanburg. Spartanburg seemed very run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM

291 posts, read 1,783,177 times
Thanks for the info! I am going down in 5 weeks to check it out as well. How about Travelers Rest or Simpsonville? Some of the suburbs must be the right size.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Just wanted to give some information to those looking in the Greenville area. My husband and I just got back from 3 days there and I found it be a very nice city with a very nice down town. I thought it was larger than what I wanted. The crime some people said was on the raise but nothing big. There were alot of townhomes and condos it seemed going in. Over all a nice city, but too large for my tastes. There were plenty of resturants but the thing that I found that was strange was all of the stores down town closed at 6:00 and very few were open on Sunday. The resturants were open but not the stores. Greenville is a lot nicer than Spartanburg. Spartanburg seemed very run down.
Thanks for the information. The Greenville area is very Christian and that would account for the stores closing early and on Sunday. Someone who lived there once said it's not uncommon to find stores closed early on Wednesday for prayer service. Sounds good to me

We are looking into the Pickens, Anderson, Easley areas. Will be moving in about a year.

Mark

Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM
KMT

80 posts, read 356,084 times
Quote:
Holly,

We just got back from a week long vacation in Greenville. I'm not sure what size community you are looking for, but when we visited, we found nice small towns in Walhalla, West Union, and Westminister. Nicer too, but smaller, in Tigerville and Tamassee/Salem. Did you get to trek along Cherokee HWY 11 at all?

Keith

Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 PM

19 posts, read 95,640 times
We live in Greer. Moved here five years ago. Tremendous growth in this area going on right now. Lots and lots of new subdivisions; a new medical hospital being built here; the old downtown is being restored. Riverside HS is an excellent school system also. Might want to take that into consideration.

Sleepy ole Greenville is really lovely and quiet. The trees along the narrow main street. We hardly go downtown but when we take friends there, they all remark about how lovely it is. Even at Xmas, everything is still green.

Yes we also have Bob Jones University. We are Catholic so we pay no attention to what goes on there. BTW Greer is full of out-of-stater transferees, so it was a comfortable move from the northeast for us.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:25 PM

66 posts, read 286,340 times
I did not look at the smaller towns around the greenville area, because I will be finishing law school and will need to be in a city/area that I can find work in. I am actually looking into Montana, Helena at the moment. It has a small population and is the state capital so I can get a state job there. Which is what I am looking for. That and my husband is a cop and needs a place that will be hiring. The Greenville Police are not hiring and will not be looking to hire it seems anytime soon. The other problem is that I do not want to commute more than 20 minutes to work.

Greenville is very nice and its size currently is not bad, however, I see the growth that will be happening there. I spoke with several people that have lived there for a while and have said the growth recently has been tremendous. It is also scheduled for a light rail system and to be a stop from DC to Alabama for the train. All of these things add up to a lot of growth in the next ten to fifteen years. Especially as more and more people realize how much the area has to offer with all of the foriegn companies there.

The stores downtown closed at 6:00 all week long and closed on Sunday. I just found it odd because the resturants were open and you would think they would stay open for the business. Greer seemed nice didn't spend much time there. A few people mentioned that Anderson was nice, especially in comparison to Spartanburg.

Thanks for the suggestions for the other towns. My quest continues for the perfect town. Although, I have to say I am getting discouraged and wonder if it really exists. But I just thought I would post my view of the Greenville area after visiting it for three days.

Also there is a Paris Mountain right outside of Greenville. Just a few minutes away. We went hiking there it was only 2 dollars for the day. it was a very nice park/recreation area.

We also some gang graffiti on the walls around town. My husband being a cop knows what to look for and seems there is some gang activity although I do not know how much or serious it is. One security guard mentioned to not go to the westside of town because the crime there was very high. Although, I do not know the exact location.

Hope this helps

Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,370 times
Quote:
...I am actually looking into Montana, Helena at the moment. It has a small population and is the state capital so I can get a state job there.

Greenville is very nice and its size currently is not bad, however, I see the growth that will be happening there. I spoke with several people that have lived there for a while and have said the growth recently has been tremendous. It is also scheduled for a light rail system and to be a stop from DC to Alabama for the train. All of these things add up to a lot of growth in the next ten to fifteen years.

The stores downtown closed at 6:00 all week long and closed on Sunday. I just found it odd because the resturants were open and you would think they would stay open for the business. Hope this helps
Holly,

Thanks for your update on the upstate Montana? interesting, cold though. But not a populated state if that is what people like.

As for the Greenville growth, well that is to be expected. Anytime a "good thing" is discovered it doesn't take long for an explosion. However, this is pretty much what all towns and cities are looking for anywhere you go. Cites love growth because it = $$ So unless you have some strict city/town councils they will welcome growth. Downside with growth comes crime as well. on the other hand, in the long run it might be a good thing for your husband

As for the stores closing, I don't think many people moving to the area mind them closing at 6:00. And closing on Sunday I say Amen! About time. We got to remember the culture of the South. This is why it's so important to accept the Southern culture and not try and CHANGE it. This is what I believe many Southerners complain about Northerners or Westerners attempt to do when they come South.

Thanks again,

Mark

Old 07-16-2006, 06:05 AM
KMT

Holly,

I understand your needs given your profession. Montana is a beautiful state...I lived in Kalispell when I was young (and remember the winters ).

States like Montana are not filled with as many transplants as others so the chances of finding everyone "cut from the same cloth" are greater. Good luck in your search.

Keith

Old 07-21-2006, 11:03 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,857,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT
Holly,

We just got back from a week long vacation in Greenville. I'm not sure what size community you are looking for, but when we visited, we found nice small towns in Walhalla, West Union, and Westminister. Nicer too, but smaller, in Tigerville and Tamassee/Salem. Did you get to trek along Cherokee HWY 11 at all?

Keith
How was Westminister. We found some lake property there very cheap!

Old 07-22-2006, 09:08 AM
KMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
How was Westminister. We found some lake property there very cheap!
Tornado:

We drove through Westminister on our last day of our vacation just before entering Georgia. We saw the town from the main two roads (123 and 76). As we entered from the east(on 123) I noticed many nice homes, older and set back from the road. The road had nice gradual turns and was pleasing to drive on. 76 seemed more like the main road through the town and contained more of the business district.

I wish I could tell you more about the side streets but we did not travel on them. Overall, clean and small.

Keith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area