Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,516 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I am all to familiar with the blue laws...I would like to get together with some other restaurant managers in reference to selling alcohol in our restaurants on Sundays in Greenville County. SC Dept. of Rev was very helpful (ha ha), a lot of mindless mouse scrolling on code and regulation sites has my mind numb. I figured, hey!, maybe someone out there knows how to do it!?! I was told by a few people that didn't seem to know much that we need a petition to repeal or create new regulations, the petition would put the option to vote for it on the ballot? I would love to band together with other restaurants in Greenville County, and I do have the TIME and DRIVE to do this, I just need DIRECTION. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 02:34 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giatumgr View Post
Unfortunately I am all to familiar with the blue laws...I would like to get together with some other restaurant managers in reference to selling alcohol in our restaurants on Sundays in Greenville County. SC Dept. of Rev was very helpful (ha ha), a lot of mindless mouse scrolling on code and regulation sites has my mind numb. I figured, hey!, maybe someone out there knows how to do it!?! I was told by a few people that didn't seem to know much that we need a petition to repeal or create new regulations, the petition would put the option to vote for it on the ballot? I would love to band together with other restaurants in Greenville County, and I do have the TIME and DRIVE to do this, I just need DIRECTION. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What is the deal with this law........from what I have seen some restaurants can serve alcohol on Sunday's if they are located within the Greenville city limits while other restaurants who are outiside of the city limits can not. Would be great to go out on a Sunday for dinner and be able to have a drink no matter where the restaurant is located!

Good luck hope that you manage to change this law.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
ALL restaurants within the city limits can serve alcohol on Sunday. ALL stores within the city limits can sell alcohol on Sunday. Perhaps it would be a good idea to begin by asking the City of Greenville what process was used to remove the laws.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Oh, the good ole boys will think there will be more drunk people on the road. They're still stuck in the 1700's apparently. Eventually the progressive folks will out-number the good ole boys and the law will be changed in the county too. This has already happened in the city of Greenville and other municipalities.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,265 times
g-man430...
Be careful what you wish for, we have constant issues in our state with drunk driving & our local college is listed as the #1 party school again this year. There are bars everywhere, alcohol is served in restuarants on Sunday, stores sell alcohol on Sunday. Here, every activity seems to be geared towards drinking. It's not always a good thing. Then again, being slapped on the wrist for driving drunk isn't either.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 AM

40 posts, read 197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
g-man430...
Be careful what you wish for, we have constant issues in our state with drunk driving & our local college is listed as the #1 party school again this year. There are bars everywhere, alcohol is served in restuarants on Sunday, stores sell alcohol on Sunday. Here, every activity seems to be geared towards drinking. It's not always a good thing. Then again, being slapped on the wrist for driving drunk isn't either.
Where do you live? It sounds awesome.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
g-man430...
Restricting the sale on certain days won't change these things at all. I live in a small town that doesn't have any liquor, beer, or wine sales on Sunday. All of the towns around us, which are no more than 10 minutes in any direction, sell on Sunday.

All the law does is make sure that people who forget to buy on Saturday drive to a neighboring town on Sunday. The local businesses are losing sales, and the city government is losing tax revenue. No one is going to stop drinking, and the idiots that are driving drunk have to drive further to get more beer, thus endangering more lives.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Restricting the sale on certain days won't change these things at all. I live in a small town that doesn't have any liquor, beer, or wine sales on Sunday. All of the towns around us, which are no more than 10 minutes in any direction, sell on Sunday.
True. I have friends in Rock Hill who can easily drive just across the state line into NC on Sundays to buy alcohol. They don't drive drunk, but it would definitely make it easier on everybody if they could stay in town. (and keep the money there)

Speaking of drinking...I'm 21 on Thursday!!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster_MGT_student View Post
Where do you live? It sounds awesome.
I live in Madison, Wi., but hopefully will be living in the GV area in about a year from now

Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 PM

13 posts, read 28,283 times
I live in Australia and I wish we didn't sell grog on sundays!!! I actually manage a liqour store and our store opens at 9am and i have at least 3-4 people waiting for me to open the doors. Thats not just on a sunday, but everyday of the week. I think we should at least have 1 day a week where its spent with our family and no alchohol. Why cant people have fun anymore without drinking???? I know this might sound annoying to you guys, but the amount of idiots I serve on a daily basis ( the same ones mind you) annoys me. They would rather spend there last $5 on beer and get drunk rather than spend it with their children. Anyway Im sorry to let that all out on you guys.......but gee I feel better.
And to answer the question......we should have sundays free of grog.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area