Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 AM

98 posts, read 218,159 times

Advertisements

Publix is hands down the store to go to in the upstate. If you take a look at all the buy 1 get 1 deals, you can actually just buy one at half price. With that being said, you end up doing alright. Some things are a little more expensive but I find that when I grab a few of the buy 1 get 1 deals, it about evens out.

I'm also a big fan of not having to carry around a Bonus card or anything like that- so I like that publix gives the sale to everyone. The penny item is usually something worth getting - coffee, paper towels, toilet paper, pizza, etc. Its rarely something you wouldn't use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by striketeamvic View Post
Publix is hands down the store to go to in the upstate. If you take a look at all the buy 1 get 1 deals, you can actually just buy one at half price. With that being said, you end up doing alright. Some things are a little more expensive but I find that when I grab a few of the buy 1 get 1 deals, it about evens out.

I'm also a big fan of not having to carry around a Bonus card or anything like that- so I like that publix gives the sale to everyone. The penny item is usually something worth getting - coffee, paper towels, toilet paper, pizza, etc. Its rarely something you wouldn't use.
I agree there - Publix may not have self-checkout (wish they did!) or discount schemes, but they are very pleasant stores, and most of all, the employees to a person act like they want you there. It's, dare I say it, a rewarding experience most times.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM

288 posts, read 949,009 times
I fully agree. If you shop the sales, Publix is often less expensive than other stores. And the atmosphere is definitely the best. They must be a nice company to work for, as the employees actually seem to like their jobs. This carries over to good customer service. The seafood guy at my Publix always remembers me and is great to talk to. They are also happy to order items for you. Bloom has an equally nice atmosphere and lots of cool, high-tech amenities. But, overall, they are more expensive and don't have a huge selection. Still, the small size and convenience makes it my first choice when I need to pop in and pick up an item or two. I'm sure Wal-Mart has the best overall prices, if you are willing to shop there.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
I guess I'm a glutten for punishment, because I usually do our family's food shopping on Sunday at Wal-Mart (my contribution to my wife being a stay at home mom with 3 kids). LOL

But I also pop into Publix now and then, as with the previous three posters, Publix is a nice, pleasant place to shop. I'm still a little leary about the overall cost savings compared to Wal-Mart...but since Publix is a more stress free enviroment, the extra cost may be well worth it.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
I like Bloom - I like that it is a smaller store and that the emphasis is on the Produce, Meats, etc. (though the "babbling brook" sounds in produce always crack me up). I find their prices aren't much higher than the other chains, so the quicker in/out is worth it.

Plus I like watching the siblings fight over who gets to use the scanner!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM

231 posts, read 576,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyk298 View Post
Ingles!? there's another store I haven't discovered?!? my my...
Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything with that one....

Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep8477 View Post
I have to say, there's one (Ingles) on my way home from work, along with a Publix & Bi Lo and I stop there more often than the others. Mainly because they have self-checkout and there are usually fewer other shoppers - I pop in & out in no time.

When we shop as a household, we usually go to Publix or Bloom or Bi Lo Supercenter (at Verdae).

Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM

16 posts, read 42,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep8477 View Post
except the cheapest milk in the area, which will keep me coming back
(6 gallons a week)

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
I don't know how Publix, in any way shape or form, could be considered "upscale". Publix doesn't even compare to regular grocery stores in the northeast. I will say there staff is friendly. They certainly don't even appear to want to try to compete with Whole Foods which is really the only "upscale" market I've been to since I've moved to SC. Also Publix's minimal organic produce offerings are MORE EXPENSIVE than Whole Foods. This is what the regular grocery store's don't "get" yet. They don't believe that people will buy organic in their stores so they over price them to make sure they won't --even above what Whole Foods would charge and the result is a self-fulfilling prophesy. No one buys them. Then the store decides not to carry much of anything really wholesome and instead concentrates on the way their food looks (no matter how much genetic engineering, irradiation, virus preservatives added (in the case of deli meat - a nifty new way to make meat last longer that may or may not also make you sick that has been approved by the FDA a few years ago and is used by all the large chains -- except by Whole Foods- and pesticides it takes to get them to look that way).

I wouldn't buy produce anywhere but at a farmers' market; Whole Foods or Earthfare or other health food store or market. I use Publix strictly for paper goods and kitty litter. Harris Teeter by the way is just a souped up regular grocery store with a better selection of organic produce but it too is more expensive than Whole Foods for what sparse selection of truly unadulterated food they carry. South Carokinians would probably starve themselves if they were restricted to Publix and other "popular" grocery stores if they were limited to finding and only purchasing organic whole foods at these stores. They just don't carry them. Here is a list of SAFE food manufactuers. I bet you'd be lucky to find even a few of them at Publix. http://truefoodnow.files.wordpress.c...ge-booklet.pdf. Actually if Publix really wanted consumers to have "such a pleasant experience", some of you shoppers might want to pass this guide along to them and ask them to start carrying SAFE food for a change. Tell them to label the ones that aren't safe- (since the FDA won't make the food industry do it) - even though there are over 60 known long term health hazards associated with eating genetically modified food ingredients.

If you want quality produce at an affordable price it is best to grow your own. I do this too. but it wouldn't hurt to start to put some pressure on grocers to start upping the quality of their food or at least clearly labeling it if it contains anything other than unadulterated whole food. After all, you are paying enough for it (and it is mostly unhealthful). Look at this film for the details of the dangers of eating genetically modified foods. Videos - Seeds of Deception

Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I don't know how Publix, in any way shape or form, could be considered "upscale". Publix doesn't even compare to regular grocery stores in the northeast. I will say there staff is friendly. They certainly don't even appear to want to try to compete with Whole Foods which is really the only "upscale" market I've been to since I've moved to SC. Also Publix's minimal organic produce offerings are MORE EXPENSIVE than Whole Foods. This is what the regular grocery store's don't "get" yet. They don't believe that people will buy organic in their stores so they over price them to make sure they won't --even above what Whole Foods would charge and the result is a self-fulfilling prophesy. No one buys them. Then the store decides not to carry much of anything really wholesome and instead concentrates on the way their food looks (no matter how much genetic engineering, irradiation, virus preservatives added (in the case of deli meat - a nifty new way to make meat last longer that may or may not also make you sick that has been approved by the FDA a few years ago and is used by all the large chains -- except by Whole Foods- and pesticides it takes to get them to look that way).

I wouldn't buy produce anywhere but at a farmers' market; Whole Foods or Earthfare or other health food store or market. I use Publix strictly for paper goods and kitty litter. Harris Teeter by the way is just a souped up regular grocery store with a better selection of organic produce but it too is more expensive than Whole Foods for what sparse selection of truly unadulterated food they carry. South Carokinians would probably starve themselves if they were restricted to Publix and other "popular" grocery stores if they were limited to finding and only purchasing organic whole foods at these stores. They just don't carry them. Here is a list of SAFE food manufactuers. I bet you'd be lucky to find even a few of them at Publix. http://truefoodnow.files.wordpress.c...ge-booklet.pdf. Actually if Publix really wanted consumers to have "such a pleasant experience", some of you shoppers might want to pass this guide along to them and ask them to start carrying SAFE food for a change. Tell them to label the ones that aren't safe- (since the FDA won't make the food industry do it) - even though there are over 60 known long term health hazards associated with eating genetically modified food ingredients.

If you want quality produce at an affordable price it is best to grow your own. I do this too. but it wouldn't hurt to start to put some pressure on grocers to start upping the quality of their food or at least clearly labeling it if it contains anything other than unadulterated whole food. After all, you are paying enough for it (and it is mostly unhealthful). Look at this film for the details of the dangers of eating genetically modified foods. Videos - Seeds of Deception
Everything's relative, sheesh! BTW - ever darkened the doorstep of The Fresh Market? Most cities of any size in this area have one. If you can't find something anywhere else, The Fresh Market probably has it. Where I see Whole Foods as upscale, but catering more to the granola set, The Fresh Market is just plain classy and has fabulous merchandise. And , it's based in the Carolinas-what more could you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area