Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM

156 posts, read 354,604 times

Advertisements

I've only been here a week and have been to Bi-Lo, Wal-mart, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Publix and Bloom yes I like to grocery shop...lol.

I checked out Bloom today and was wondering what makes it different than the others? I didn't have time to go through the whole store. We've got food allergies so I'm always looking for good prices on organic stuff and gluten free stuff etc.

Also -- so far the prices for what I normally buy (from where we used to live) are a little higher. (for instance -- $4.29 for a box of fruit leathers vs. $3.99 from our former home).

Any suggestions for best stores to shop in? So far, looks like I'll be doing Wal mart for general stuff, Publix for some things, and Whole Foods for some of our kids specialty allergy free snacks.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:33 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,788,982 times
Bloom stores do not seem as different as when they first came to the Greenville market a few years back. But, they do still have some things that make them unique....

- Their stores are a bit smaller than the standard grocery store.....they are more of a market.
- You can use a scanner, scan your groceries as you go through the store....bag your groceries as you go through the store, then just swipe your debit card at the end. Very easy and fast. Much faster than even the U-Scan checkouts other stores have.
- They have a really good pre-made, hot food area, called Tabletop. Everything you need for a complete hot dinner in minutes....all merchandised together.
- They have a good organic section.
- They have computer kiosk throughout the store. You can get recipes as well as type in the dinner you are having and it will recommend the proper wine, etc.
- You can enter your shopping list online from your home computer, throughout the week, then print it out when you get to the store.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 PM

A ha! I didn't notice the bag and scan as you go option! Certainly different indeed! Thanks.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,474,415 times
Not as much as there used to be.... :-(

Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM

231 posts, read 573,753 times
Walmart has the cheapest prices for the basic stuff...unless there is a really good sale going on at the other stores, but even then Wal-Mart's normal price of an item is probably the same. I haven't been to Earth Fare, but it seems similar to the Fresh Market. Publix is a great store...the prices are not bad, they have high quality food, and overall it's just a more pleasant shopping experience. Publix also has a mystery item each week for one cent (you don't find out what the item is until you get to the store but it's only one penny!) Bi-Lo is just ok...the prices are ok to a little high. Bloom was already described...not too sure about the prices there though but seems like a very clean and spiffy place.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 AM

169 posts, read 568,082 times
Did you see the kiosk where you can scan your Bloom card and it prints coupons just for you? The coupons are based on prior purchases. Check it out the next time you are there.....

Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 AM

8 posts, read 20,382 times
Bloom is just Food Lion's attempt to compete with Publix and other upscale stores.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:19 AM

9,314 posts, read 9,610,502 times
Bloom is the closet store to me...I drive by it on my way to Wal-Mart. (Not a big fan of Wal-Mart, but gotta go where I can save the $$$)

Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,810,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleicous View Post
Bloom is just Food Lion's attempt to compete with Publix and other upscale stores.
I totally agree with this, it's just a gimmick, and its usually more expensive than the other stores I shop at + I had a horrible experience there, I think I already posted about it somewhere else on the forum so i'll spare the details.

I shop at ingles for quick shopping trips and super walmart for big grocery trips, you really can't beat wally world on prices, and the one in central has great variety of products.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Ingles!? there's another store I haven't discovered?!? my my...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area