Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
...All it takes is for residents that demand something be done and the city of Greenville stepping in and putting some pressure on the county. There is no money better spent then making all of Greenville nice and not just downtown.
What kind of pressure do you recommend that the city put on the county?

Everyone should be aware of the ways in which Greenville is spending time and money beyond downtown. Read the detailed Plan-it documents for greater insight into the process and community as a whole. Everyone should also realize that much of the attractive downtown revitalization we enjoy today was implemented within the past decade or two and prior to that change downtown was virtually devoid of pedestrian activity. Greenville's leaders definitely do not need an education in the process of effective urban renewal.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
[quote=Skyliner;11756251]What kind of pressure do you recommend that the city put on the county?

Presumably the city has more authority to make things happen to improve the areas outside of the city limits.....if the county does not take action to revitalize the run down areas then the city needs to take action and begin annexing those areas. When people are driving around Greenville before they reach downtown it reflects really bad on the city of Greenville that those areas remain looking that way. In the end people do not care whether the areas are located in the city limits or out of the city limits.....it needs to be cleaned up.

For years Times Square (42nd street) was a real eyesore here in NYC and if people walked around there they had better watch their wallet, their life and the chain around their neck. It was overrun with prostitution, crime and drugs.....the city of NY could not just sit back and allow it to continue because it reflected badly on them. Thus the reason that Times Square was cleaned up and revitalized. Really what it comes down to is the fact that a lot of poor people live along Whitehorse Rd and Pointsett highway so the county could care less about how the poor lives!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:23 PM

45 posts, read 168,074 times
Default Tell me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Why would being closer to Asheville be a plus? Greenville blows away Asheville in every aspect, except homeless population; we've got a ways to go until we reach their #'s.
Sonrise: could you please elaborate on this? My husband and I visited Asheville this September and loved it. However, I'm just discovering northern SC via the Internet and think it would be just as nice, if not better, as a place to retire eventually. So...exactly how is Greenville better than Asheville?
Anyone else (besides Sonrise) have thoughts on this?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
If you want my opinion, I will let you know in a few days. I will be landing in Charlotte then its Greenville, Asheville, Knoxville, through the woods past the Nantahala outdoor center, then past Chatooga river, on back through the lakes and ending up in Greenville again.
Should be in Greenville by Black Friday.
Yes! I'd love to know what you think. Have a great trip.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM

440 posts, read 776,648 times
Thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountry View Post
Didn't mean to mislead anyone; we're not from Oregon but rather the upper Midwest. All I know about the Carolinas, so far, is what we gleaned in a 2 1/2-day visit this fall to Asheville. It left us hungry for more! And I definitely am interested in South Carolina as well. Which brings us back to the original question: how does Greenville compare to Asheville?
I'm not in Gville yet, but from my own initial research it seemes that Asheville is a bit colder, and has more days of snow during the winter. We were originally interested in Asheville, due to it being closer to Great Smokey Mountains NP, and more in the mountains than Greenville is, but we feel that Greenville is probably going to be a much better fit for us overall.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 PM

Default a better fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm not in Gville yet, but from my own initial research it seemes that Asheville is a bit colder, and has more days of snow during the winter. We were originally interested in Asheville, due to it being closer to Great Smokey Mountains NP, and more in the mountains than Greenville is, but we feel that Greenville is probably going to be a much better fit for us overall.
Yes, Asheville's proximity to GSMNP is a plus in some ways, but I'm thinking that when we're retired, driving a little farther to get there won't be a problem. And retirement (in who-knows-how-many-years from now) is probably the only way we'll get to leave the upper Midwest.

I'd be interested in why you feel Greenville is a much better fit for you. If you've already posted this info elsewhere on the forum, please point me in that direction so I'm not asking you to repeat yourself.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCountry View Post
I'd be interested in why you feel Greenville is a much better fit for you. If you've already posted this info elsewhere on the forum, please point me in that direction so I'm not asking you to repeat yourself.
For us the weather was the factor that kind of pushed us to start looking more towards Greenville. We grew up in the Midwest, but left there 19 years ago for Florida. Florida has been great, but it's too hot to enjoy being outside for about 9 months of the year.

At the same time, we don't want to go back to long winters and dealing with snow more than a few times a year. It seems that Greenville will be the right balance between "face of the sun" and "frozen tundra".

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I have never been to Greenville, there is a house for sale out that way that has 22 acres of land at a really cheap price and we a wondering why.

I hear the west side of Greenville is the bad part of town. is Traveler's Rest part of that area?

Also, it seems the best area to live is near the mall and shops at Greenville. How many years would you think it would be before Traveler's rest gets a new stores and malls?
I have lived in TR most of my life. TR is considered country and not very large.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:44 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Please stay on topic. This thread is TR and Greenville County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area