U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 07:23 PM

395 posts, read 635,709 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Greenville, there is a house for sale out that way that has 22 acres of land at a really cheap price and we a wondering why.

I hear the west side of Greenville is the bad part of town. is Traveler's Rest part of that area?

Also, it seems the best area to live is near the mall and shops at Greenville. How many years would you think it would be before Traveler's rest gets a new stores and malls?

Last edited by linicx; 11-25-2009 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Title change to better represent content
Rate this post positively

Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,455,891 times
I wouldn't think of it as a "bad" area. It's more rural than, say, the Golden Strip or Eastside, but is coming into its own. Plus, it's halfway to the mountains!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,076,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I have never been to Greenville, there is a house for sale out that way that has 22 acres of land at a really cheap price and we a wondering why.

I hear the west side of Greenville is the bad part of town. is Traveler's Rest part of that area?

Also, it seems the best area to live is near the mall and shops at Greenville. How many years would you think it would be before Traveler's rest gets a new stores and malls?
Not at all; it's really beautiful, and ironically one of the best views in the entire county is from the Walmart parking lot. TR is just s bit more rural, but it's not bad at all.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 AM

41 posts, read 129,853 times
Travelers Rest is one of the prettiest areas within reach of Greenville (10-15 miles). Real estate is very reasonable there compared to many parts of the country. That being said, it is rural, and like rural areas throughout the south, there are pockets of poverty, with folks living in run-down homes and mobile homes. Not that they're not nice people- most everyone I've met is very friendly, but some people are fussy about their neighborhoods.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,280,005 times
Quote:

There are some nice things about rural living......peace, quiet and tranquility, also as you have already discovered you get more bang for your buck when purchasing a home in the country. The first home that I purchased when I moved to SC was in Aiken. The home was in the country, sat on 4 acres of land, was about 20 minutes drive from downtown Aiken and I loved the space, peace and quiet. What I did not like was the lax, lazy attitude of my neighbors. Many of them lived in rundown homes and trailers and literally had a junkyard on their property with old cars that were missing tires, old boats and weeds so tall that you could barely see the entrance to the property! That is what you have to be careful of when purchasing a home in the country....behavior like that can bring down the value of your home.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM

5,473 posts, read 14,166,660 times
While I definitely don't consider Travelers Rest to be part of "the bad side of town," it is important to mention that the area along Poinsett Highway between Cherrydale Point and Downtown Greenville is tired and not pretty.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:50 AM

126 posts, read 275,279 times
Travelers Rest between Furman and Greenville is pretty ghetto. My first time coming to Greenville, this was my first impression of the city. It reminded me of ghetto Chattanooga or Augusta but once I got to West End and Main, my impressions of the city changed for the better.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 PM

395 posts, read 635,709 times
when you say Furman, is that a town or the university?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,728,173 times
Quote:
when you say Furman, is that a town or the university?
A university. Quite high ranking. Southern Ivy League.

Furman: Engaged Learning at a Leading Liberal Arts University

Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM

192 posts, read 561,892 times
Default um...

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4him View Post
Travelers Rest between Furman and Greenville is pretty ghetto. My first time coming to Greenville, this was my first impression of the city. It reminded me of ghetto Chattanooga or Augusta but once I got to West End and Main, my impressions of the city changed for the better.
There is no travelers rest between Greenville and Furman. Travelers Rest is like 4 miles past Furman. The area you describe is Greenville, not travelers rest. Its about 5 or 6 miles before the "Welcome to Travelers Rest" sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area