Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM

27 posts, read 59,202 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Greenville area in a few months and I will be visiting in about a week. I have been to Greenville to look around but have not found "the place" We have looked in Greer but it seems like a lot of traffic and it seems spread apart. We are looking for a nice town reasonably close to Greenville (no more than 20-30min.) Would love a small town feel but close to shopping (no more than 15-20 mins.)The most important factor is schools. I want to be in an excellent school district. We will be looking in the high $200,00 low $300,000 price range for a house. Can someone give me a list of areas/towns I need to visit when I am there? Are there any specific neighborhoods I should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 AM

156 posts, read 330,695 times
Anderson. They have excellent schools.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM

899 posts, read 2,275,401 times
Have you checked out Simpsonville? Seems to match what you are looking for--I've always heard that Hillcrest and Mauldin High Schools and some of their feeder schools are very good. Greenville County is all one school district.

Usually the schools in Taylors/Eastside of Greenville (that feed into Riverside and Eastside Highs) are very highly desirable. I would also check out Taylors (Greer's neighbor) in your search as well as the Eastside/Pelham Rd. general area, as well as the Woodruff Rd./Hwy. 14 corridor that leads to Simpsonville. You can get a great house in your price range pretty much all over.

Also, since you don't mind living 30 minutes from Greenville and are concerned about schools then you may also want to look at District 5 and District 6 schools in Spartanburg--these are the towns of Duncan, Moore and the westside of Spartanburg. Close to shopping, around 30 minutes to Greenville, and very good schools.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM

5,509 posts, read 15,279,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
Anderson. They have excellent schools.
That isn't a fair reply, sistajane. Like most county school districts, there are both good and bad schools in Anderson. For example, Anderson County School District One (Powdersville-Wren) is one of the best in the state, and is a suburban/rural area near Greenville (within 10-15 minutes). Additionally, the city of Anderson is more than 20-30 minutes away from Greenville, directly conflicting with one of the criteria mentioned.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM

642 posts, read 2,080,173 times
Look in to Fountain Inn close to Simpsonville where you can have the shopping And you would have less traffic. And not far from Greenville either.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 PM

27 posts, read 59,202 times
Thanks for all the info! Does anyone know anything about Boiling Springs, or Five Forks? Are either of these nice areas? What about the actual city of Greenville? I love the city of Greenville but where I am from, you would not dream of living in the actual city unless 1. you could afford a million dollar home and2. if you have children, you not only need 1 million for a home but $20,000-$30,000 per child per year for a private school!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 PM

899 posts, read 2,275,401 times
Boiling Springs is the fastest growing area of Spartanburg County. Fifteen or so years ago, it was still generally an area that was not too developed and that people didn't move to. Now there are lots of transplants and others moving in to the many newer subdivisions all over Boiling Springs. As more and more people have moved to BS and the area has continued to develop, the schools have improved their reputation--though there are complaints that they lag behind some of the other Spartanburg districts in terms of things like building new schools, etc.

Some (incl. myself) will tell you that BS has a different "feel" than many of the suburban areas of Greenville County and the westside of Spartanburg that you may be looking at--although there are some really nice subdivisions in BS, as a whole it is a lot less "trendy" (by this area's standards at least), if that makes sense--I really don't even know how to explain it. There are stores and restaurants along Highway 9 (the shopping corridor in BS) but the selection is still a lot more limited than say Simpsonville. Of course BS has strong projected growth so the options will probably increase.

BS is close to Spartanburg for much more shopping options. BS residents tend to go to Greenville less. Honestly if proximity to Greenville and excellent schools are top priorities--and you are going to include Spartanburg County in your search--I would look at District 5 schools and the Duncan/Moore area before District 2/Boiling Springs. You'd be closer to both Greenville and the westside of Spartanburg shopping. And District 5 schools have a much better reputation.

Five Forks is a great area around the Woodruff Rd./Simpsonville areas where you could get a great house in your price range. You'd be close to some great amenities in that area.

Last edited by innovator82; 12-29-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM

817 posts, read 849,829 times
Also Highway 9 is pretty dumpy looking.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM

1,997 posts, read 4,578,198 times
Having lived in both Birmingham and Chattanooga, I will admit that finding the "best" schools in the Greenville area has been quite challenging. As most are aware, Greenville county is one gigantic school district - there are no city/sub-county delineations (as in some other parts of the country). Of course, there are pros and cons with this district layout.

Both the Birmingham area (which has city/county schools) and Chattanooga (county only) have easily identifiable excellent schools (and with little effort in research). This is really not the case with the Upstate. Districts are spread out over multiple counties and have widely varying population and demographics.

My wife and I did a ton of research on the net and just asked around. I rec'd a multitude of opinions and, frankly, I was more confused. With this, we just made a list of our priorities. My family loves downtown Greenville and just wanted to live as close to downtown as possible while living in the best school district. We have very young children and focused primarily on elementary schools. We visited Blythe, Augusta Circle, and Sara Collins. After visiting these schools and looking at the surrounding neighborhoods, we decided on Sara Collins (Welcome To Sara Collins Elementary) and could not be happier. Wonderful teachers and administration and fantastic parent support.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 PM

282 posts, read 747,922 times
Be sure to check out the town of Easley and also the Powdersville area (recommended by Skyliner!). You will love this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area