Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times

Advertisements

Greenville, SC - is it pedestrian friendly? Mostly car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything...from a person's house in the evening or weekends.

Greenville certainly APPEARS very walkable and pedestrian-friendly...but do people generally drive to those areas, look for parking, and then walk around...or do they live amongst it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Greenville, SC - is it pedestrian friendly? Mostly car-oriented? How is the layout?

Not that I wouldn't have a car, but it is nice to be able to walk around places without jumping in the car for nearly everything...from a person's house in the evening or weekends.

Greenville certainly APPEARS very walkable and pedestrian-friendly...but do people generally drive to those areas, look for parking, and then walk around...or do they live amongst it all?

As for walkability, Greenville is excellent. It has one of the premier downtowns in the nation for a city its size (and many larger). Pedestrians walking pretty much 24/7. The city really focused on predestian friendly development several years ago and narrowed its Main Street from 5 lanes to a landscaped / tree lined 2 lane street to encourage pedestrians. It worked. Check out some of the photos in the photo thread.
Downtown / West End / North End / Cleveland Park / Augusta Street / Park Avenue / Overbrook are all very walkable areas with good density.

As for the suburbs, they need help in the walkability department. Most of the suburbs are car oriented as with most cities in the south. The county is taking steps in that regard however, with continued additional segments of multi mile "greenway" trails.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,437 times
Quote:

The downtown area is good for walking......restaurants and shops are close together. Other areas of Greenville that have shopping and restaurants are spread out so those areas require a car and I would not consider them to be pedestrian friendly. Greenville is definitely mostly a car oriented place.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
I found a wonderful site called WWW.WALKSCORE.COM Of all the homes we have looked at (3 we had offers on) the house we are actually buying has a walkability score of 65 out of 100 - not bad, especially when the others had either 0 or 5!

I love it, it tells me how close things are to me - Starbucks less than 2 miles!!!! Library, less than 1 mile. Great site!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
The downtown area is good for walking......restaurants and shops are close together. Other areas of Greenville that have shopping and restaurants are spread out so those areas require a car and I would not consider them to be pedestrian friendly. Greenville is definitely mostly a car oriented place.
How possible is it to live in the downtown area? Is either too expensive/costly for housing...or just undesireable for any other reason...?

Generally, it seems Greenville is very progressive in the 'how to create/build your city' category. A very attractive feature.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
How possible is it to live in the downtown area? Is either too expensive/costly for housing...or just undesireable for any other reason...?

Generally, it seems Greenville is very progressive in the 'how to create/build your city' category. A very attractive feature.
Greenville's downtown is full of new condos and loft spaces in converted buildings....a sizable population lives downtown. Downtown condos run from moderately priced to high end. One good thing about Greenville, it never really had an inner ring of dirty factories encircling downtown in its history, so great neighborhoods bump immediately up to downtown. Park Avenue is only a few blocks from City Center, and the street has numerous, well priced, townhomes, condos, houses, etc. The same with the North Main area.....Cleveland Park....etc, etc.

For reasonably priced apartments, check out McBee Station.
http://www.mcbee-station.com/downtown.htm (broken link)

Last edited by gsupstate; 12-30-2009 at 06:52 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,437 times
Quote:

It is very possible to live downtown in Greenville (depending on your budget).....but just like most downtown areas around the country you can expect to pay more for the convenience of being able to walk to restaurants and shops. Greenvilles downtown is pretty, nicely laid out and definitely a desirable area to live in. There are condos there....some of them upwards of around $700,000 so a little on the pricey side for the nicer (more square footage) ones. In all honesty some of the condos downtown are too expensive when considering the size. But that is the way it works in most cities...people are charged a premium for things like a nice view and conveniences.

I had considered a downtown condo when I first moved to Greenville but instead opted for a house that offered me more square footage for the same price I would have spent just to be downtown in a small apartment.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
It is very possible to live downtown in Greenville (depending on your budget).....but just like most downtown areas around the country you can expect to pay more for the convenience of being able to walk to restaurants and shops. Greenvilles downtown is pretty, nicely laid out and definitely a desirable area to live in. There are condos there....some of them upwards of around $700,000 so a little on the pricey side for the nicer (more square footage) ones. In all honesty some of the condos downtown are too expensive when considering the size. But that is the way it works in most cities...people are charged a premium for things like a nice view and conveniences.

I had considered a downtown condo when I first moved to Greenville but instead opted for a house that offered me more square footage for the same price I would have spent just to be downtown in a small apartment.
Ah, sounds like it exists then, but you certainly have to pay for it.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM

93 posts, read 166,017 times
Yep the downtown area of Greenville is Great but it's obviously a bit more pricey. of options and you can get a nice home right on the outskirts for the low 200's close to the grocery store and a few minutes walk to main street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area