Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:35 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,477 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I'm needing some abstract info about Greenville, SC. I know Greenville is a beautiful city with some beautiful urban neighborhoods, like North Main and Augusta Rd. But, something you can't find out about on the web just through searches is wether or not these neighborhoods foster a strong sense of community. You know what I mean....the kind of neighborhood where you know your neighbors and everyone looks out for each other. Also, how about friendliness of the locals? Is it easy for a newcomer to fit in? Is it easy to make friends in Greenville both for adults and kids?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Yours truly,
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
I know others with more knowledge of different areas will chime in, but based on my personal experiences, I'd say the answer to all your questions is "yes". My partner & I have been made to feel welcome & a part of things from the very start in both our neighborhood and in the workplace.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:38 PM

306 posts, read 689,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Hello All!

I'm needing some abstract info about Greenville, SC. I know Greenville is a beautiful city with some beautiful urban neighborhoods, like North Main and Augusta Rd. But, something you can't find out about on the web just through searches is wether or not these neighborhoods foster a strong sense of community. You know what I mean....the kind of neighborhood where you know your neighbors and everyone looks out for each other. Also, how about friendliness of the locals? Is it easy for a newcomer to fit in? Is it easy to make friends in Greenville both for adults and kids?

Yours truly,
Kris
Yes, yes, yes. Look, every community is not going to be the same, but I know the one I live in is great. I've always felt welcomed and most everyone seems super friendly. My kids have a lot more friends here than they ever did in NY. As do my husband and I. Not everyones experience is going to be the same, but I absolutely love living here. There is a couple we met, also originally from NY, that would not agree with me, but then that is because of the way they come across. My family as a whole are much happier here and so much more active in the community. I hope you get the same welcoming that we did.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,477 times
Thanks for the response! Where I live now, is really strange and if you are not a townie, then forget it....impossible to make friends! I hate the thought of moving somewhere where people are not accepting of outsiders moving into their beautiful city.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:51 PM

807 posts, read 1,784,513 times
Default yes

I agree with all of the yes people. There are certain neighborhoods where people keep to themselves but overall I think we are very friendly & make newcomers try to feel welcome. We have some neighborhoods where they all get together and have block parties, leave all of their gates open and stroll through in the evenings and have drinks together etc.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response! Where I live now, is really strange and if you are not a townie, then forget it....impossible to make friends! I hate the thought of moving somewhere where people are not accepting of outsiders moving into their beautiful city.
That has NOT been my experience here at all. If you are the type of person who is warm and welcoming to others, you will receive the same back.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Actually, it's been my experience that AT LEAST half the people you come across in daily life are not originally from here. It's said Greenville has one of the largest groups of "ex-pat" Steelers fans in the country! You're almost as likely to hear a French or German accent in the grocery store or the bank as you are a Southern accent,

Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM

477 posts, read 840,918 times
Quote:
Well, then the good thing for you is that it seems like almost nobody around here is a "townie". In 90% of the cases when I talk to people, they are not from here.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM

45 posts, read 81,272 times
Quote:
Hello All!

Yours truly,
Kris

As you can tell from the responses to this thread, as well as to others, opinions on this topic definitely vary depending on life situation, neighborhood, and other circumstances. Everyone has different experiences, and so we all have different opinions on the issue. Regarding your question about whether or not there is a sense of community in North Main and Augusta Rd neighborhoods, in our experience with living in downtown Greenville, it has been challenging to find that sense of neighborliness and welcome to strangers. Not to say that it doesn't exist, but it seems to me that many of the people living in these neighborhoods are from some of the older, established families of Greenville, already know each other from Furman or Clemson, etc. This is probably more the case for Augusta Rd, but I think can also be found in North Main. Don't get me wrong, they are great neighborhoods. But I think that, as an outsider, it might be harder to get connected since the neighborhoods just don't seem as transient as, say, neighborhoods on the Eastside or Simpsonville, where a lot of transplants seem to reside. I kind of wonder if people on this board who consider Greenville extremely welcoming and friendly tend to live in these neighborhoods (I really don't this for sure, I'm just wondering if that's the case. Maye some of them will chime in and either confirm this or prove me wrong!).

Anyway, Gower Estates is another in-town neighborhood that you might want to consider. It's very family-friendly, lots of kids, and the neighbors enjoy impromptu get-togethers. Not quite as charming as Augusta Rd or North Main, but still very nice, and within the city limits.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe Pride View Post
But I think that, as an outsider, it might be harder to get connected since the neighborhoods just don't seem as transient as, say, neighborhoods on the Eastside or Simpsonville, where a lot of transplants seem to reside. I kind of wonder if people on this board who consider Greenville extremely welcoming and friendly tend to live in these neighborhoods (I really don't this for sure, I'm just wondering if that's the case. Maye some of them will chime in and either confirm this or prove me wrong!).
I live in Easley, so you may well be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area