Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM

301 posts, read 805,969 times

Advertisements

[Note: I tend to be long-winded on subjects that I care about. Education just happens to be one of them. I personally have attend both public and private schools. For me... public schools weren't an amazing experience. However... there are a lot more options now available than when I was starting school (which was only in the 90's) and so I would expect that public schools can a lot more for kids now. I also do not mean to offend anyone in any way... and I apologize if I do.]

So, I did a quick search on schools in Spartanburg... and what seemed to come up a lot was: Districts 2, 5, 6, and 7.

And... in general... I don't agree with the blanket statement made by that.

For example... I'd say that Districts 1 and 3 are EXCELLENT districts. There isn't even one 'bad' school in either district... whereas in districts 6 and 7... it is very, very spotty.

Now, it is true that those districts are small... (Broome and Landrum are AA and Chapman is either AA or AAA.) But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a small school. They all offer AP classes... and if students want 'more', then they have opportunities to take classes at Spartanburg Community College or USC Upstate. (USC Upstate: Spartanburg Scholars Academy)

So... anyways... this post is mainly to inform prospective families about Districts 1, 3, and 7.

As for District 7... I've been there... and I liked my time in Cowpens (District 3) much better. But here's the lo-down on D7...
ES: (Grades K-6)
You pretty much have to go for Pine Street or Jesse Boyd. There are nine elementary schools in D7. Seven of those schools are struggling to have their students meet academic standards. That isn't to say those schools are bad... but it does say that your childen will probably be much better served in JB or PS.

Downside... You have to basically live in Converse Heights or Hillbrook. No Duncan Park or Hillcrest. ***Do not believe that if you live on the Eastside that you will be in a good school zone.*** I live in Hillcrest, which is definitely the east side. Not zoned for PS or JB, even though they are within a five-minute drive.

Now, the district recently introduced 'school choice'. However... Pine Street is already over-crowded... and is pretty much a garanteed no for school choice.

So if you want PS... then you need to move to Converse Heights. Otherwise... you'll have to do with hopefully a spot in JB if you're lucky.

Also.. remember... elementary schools here are grades k-6... so if you're not happy with your child's school... it is going to be a very long time before you move on to junior high.

JH: (7-9)
McCracken
Carver
Whitlock

It is highly recommended that you steer clear of Whitlock and try going towards McCracken. Even so... it isn't an amazing school. It isn't uncommon for me to hear about people smoking pot in the bathrooms.

When we visited... they told us that MJH was a safe school, despite what we may have heard... which basically made me think... "Wait? I never thought it wasn't a safe school!" If they're trying to reassure us about the safety without us even asking... well... that just doesn't make it sound so great.

There are good, solid opportunities there, however. They have a good orchestra program and some solid academic classes.

I believe that MJH takes just about every applicant for school choice... or at least they have in the past. (As long as you turn the application in on time) So where you live doesn't matter so much after ES.

SHS: (10-12)
Honestly... I'd be terrified to think about how other schools are if you want to say Spartanburg High School is a top school in the state.

Now... SHS has some very good programs. They have excellent music, athletic, and academic programs.

It's just... your child has to be very focused. Spartan High has gone down in quality over the past 20 years or so. It is not the same school that most parents advocating for it went to. Yes... your child can get an excellent education. But yes... there are issues of violence, drugs, alcohol, etc. I have been told by students that there is at least one fight a week. It isn't uncommon to see a girl who is pregnant. And there are plain pictures of weekend parties involving alcohol on facebook. Can this all be avoided? Somewhat. You just have to educate your child.

Now... onto Districts 1 and 3.

Great districts.

District 1 unofficially practices school choice. As long as your child is well-behaved and you provide transportation... your child can go to pretty much any school in the district. It doesn't matter if you live in Inman, Campobello, or Landrum.

I have had family attend OP Earle, Inman ES, Inman Intermediate, Mabry JH/MS, Chapman, and Campobello Gramling ES. These kids all lived on the same block of property and all were allowed to go where they wanted. They all have recieved an excellent education.

One of my cousins is currently a first grader at Campobello Gramling... and I can truly say that I am amazed by the work that she can already do as far as spelling and reading. It is just absolutely amazing.

District 3. There is no bad school in this district. They are all good.
You have several elementary schools. [k-5] (Cannons, Cowpens, and Pacolet come to mind.) I personally attended Cowpens... and it was an amazing place to be. The children are very well educated.

Middle schools are Cowpens and Pacolet. You don't have a whole lot of big 'issues' in the middle schools. The education is very good. Very well-rounded. Cowpens is a very religious area, so there are a lot of kids with very strong morals.

Broom is the high school. It isn't a big flashy area and you aren't going to see kids with $50k brand new cars. Kids easily fit in. They have the opportunity to go to college wherever they would like, etc. Plus... Because it is a small school... they have more opportunities to participate in things like sports and hold leadership positions.

I had two family members graduate from Broom. One went on a LIFE Scholarship to the College of Charleston. She eventually was accepted into the Medical University of SC and became a speech pathologist. The other took classes at SCC and is now enrolled in the Pharmacy school at MUSC.

Also... they both switched from Dorman because they weren't happy. Their father taught at SHS and their mother taught in Disctrict 6. It was completely their decision to go there and they have both turned out well.

My final point...
When looking to move to Spartanburg... Don't take the blanket statement "District 2, 5, 6, and 7". Look around. Visit each district. Think longterm. Your child might be in a good school for six years... but then what? Private school? Is it time to move again?

Who knows? Spartanburg High School might be the perfect fit for your family. Or maybe Landrum is... You never know. Check them all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 PM

110 posts, read 457,103 times
I have some different perceptions from Oogax. I have taught at McCracken and now teach at Spartanburg HS in District 7. My children graduated from SHS and went on to do extremely well in college. Students are safe in both schools, and student violence is not tolerated. I do not agree with it being common to smell marijuana in the bathrooms. While it may have happened, I personally never smell that at McCracken.
Spartanburg High is an excellent high school with in incredible AP program. It is ranked as a best school by Newsweek. Admittedly, it is a diverse school.
I think that with the exception of 6 and 7, Spartanburg districts are "country" (rural). So for a family relocating from a large suburb in the north, you might have a pretty big culture shock.
This is just my 2 cents.....

Please feel free to email me if you would like more information about 7.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 PM

17 posts, read 49,736 times
"Broom is the high school."

Actually, Broome is the high school.

I am curious what leads to you say "You pretty much have to go for Pine Street or Jesse Boyd," as well as "I'd be terrified to think about how other schools are if you want to say Spartanburg High School is a top school in the state."

Please clarify whether this is anecdotal insight or based on research...

Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM

182 posts, read 351,822 times
Seems as if Oogax has an ax to grind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area