Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 PM

59 posts, read 111,677 times

Advertisements

I read this site often, but I rarely post. I moved to the area in March of 2009. Reading this site before moving to the area, I felt comfortable about the move and how I was going to like the area. However, after being here I feel like the area is not what I perceived it to be. Granted this is not a knock on the area, it is a very pleasant area, just not what I expected based upon some of the post I have read.

I guess my biggest disappointments was reading how diverse the area is, yet I actually find it to be lacking a little in diversity. I don't think it lacks in the make up of the residents, but in the entertainment options.

This is not a flame on Greenville. I think a lot of people would find the city to be a good or even great place to live, I just hasn't grown on me the way I thought it would based upon some of the information I have read on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM

11,717 posts, read 24,918,428 times
Do I think this area is very diverse? Honestly no. Now that's not to say there isn't some diversity here because there is. And yes I agree the entertainment options kind of lack too. We need more mixed use developments/entertainment options. Hopefully that happens once the economy improves. I definitely appreciate your opinion of the area dognusty.

Last edited by g-man430; 01-20-2010 at 10:58 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,488,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Do I think this area is very diverse? Honestly no. And yes I agree the entertainment options kind of lack too. We need more mixed use developments/entertainment options.
The area is quite diverse for a mid-size city, and more diverse than many significantly larger cities. But if someone's point of reference is NYC or LA, then Greenville might not seem very diverse. 98% of people who visit Greenville, with eyes open, will see diversity.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 PM

11,717 posts, read 24,918,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
The area is quite diverse for a mid-size city, and more diverse than many significantly larger cities. But if someone's point of reference is NYC or LA, then Greenville might not seem very diverse. 98% of people who visit Greenville, with eyes open, will see diversity.
Ok fine. Greenville has the most foreign companies here per capita than anywhere else in the nation.

Oh wait, we do.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I wouldn't compare Greenville to a city the size of NYC or LA. I agree that it has diversity in certain aspects. I think the employment opportunities are diverse. I was focusing more on the entertainment options.

Like I said its just my opinion, I wouldn't tell anyone not to visit based upon my personal preferences. They may see something I don't.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,595,684 times
Hmm let's see.... Professional theatre (Warehouse), the Peace Center (symphony, touring artists, touring Broadway productions, etc), seasonal festivals downtown, fanstastic minor league baseball, the Bi Lo Center (large musical productions & other events and now allied with the amphitheatre in Simpsonville at Heritage Park), jazz clubs, fantastic restaurants, children's museum, comprehensive regional history museum, proximity to the mountains with endless possibilities there.....

I'm a little confused. What were you comparing Greenville to? What were you looking for? How could Greenville not compare favorably to other cities its size?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 AM

156 posts, read 333,476 times
dognusty - I think there really is a lot of sugar coating going on on this board. That's why when posters say I'm moving to Gville based just on a magazine article or some messages on a board I cringe. No matter where you move to, you have to visit the area for more than a few days to really get a feel for it.
Now, with that being said there are a lot of positives but there are negatives here as well. Each person has to figure out what is important to them and see if that place has it. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you..but you can't always believe what you read!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:40 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,909,837 times
I'm sorry that out of 3 total post by the OP, 2 are jabs at Greenville. Doesn't give much validity to the claim.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,569,760 times
I'm with Upstate Booster. Could the OP be more specific as to what he/she means by "entertainment options"?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Hmm let's see.... Professional theatre (Warehouse), the Peace Center (symphony, touring artists, touring Broadway productions, etc), seasonal festivals downtown, fanstastic minor league baseball, the Bi Lo Center (large musical productions & other events and now allied with the amphitheatre in Simpsonville at Heritage Park), jazz clubs, fantastic restaurants, children's museum, comprehensive regional history museum, proximity to the mountains with endless possibilities there.....

I'm a little confused. What were you comparing Greenville to? What were you looking for? How could Greenville not compare favorably to other cities its size?
Its not that I believe the area doesn't have entertainment options, I just feel that many of those options are similar (I do like the baseball though ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area