Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM

11 posts, read 21,162 times

Advertisements

Have been doing a lot of waterfall photography and also love to photograph scenic dams...Any suggestions on dam locations in the Greenvile area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 03:32 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
There's one off of Hwy 14 between Batesville Rd and I-85 near a water treatment plant. The dam is very old, and I believe there was a textile mill there at one time. There's also a small, but picturesque dam in Paris Mountain State Park off one of the hiking trails (perhaps others here can provide more specific info on this one). With the rivers & streams in the area and fact that there was at one time a textile mill just about anywhere they could fit one, there should be many more that I'm not aware of.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 PM

11 posts, read 21,162 times
I live near Paris Mountain and found those two nice ones there , there is also a small one in Taylors called Edwards Mill on Private Property.Thanks for the tip on the dam near 85, I wil take a look at it this weekend.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
There's the Lake Conestee Dam at the south end of the lake. OpenStreetMap

Although it's technically part of the park, and the dam and waterfall itself has great photo possibilities with the recent rains, all the best photographic viewpoints are private property and fenced off, and there's not yet any recreational access trail. There might be a view from the side of the road near the bridge however.

Then there's the Lake Cunningham dam north of Greer - behind a fence; I'm not sure how easy it is to get access to a photo viewpoint.

OpenStreetMap

Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
There's the Lake Conestee Dam at the south end of the lake. OpenStreetMap

Although it's technically part of the park, and the dam and waterfall itself has great photo possibilities with the recent rains, all the best photographic viewpoints are private property and fenced off, and there's not yet any recreational access trail. There might be a view from the side of the road near the bridge however.

Then there's the Lake Cunningham dam north of Greer - behind a fence; I'm not sure how easy it is to get access to a photo viewpoint.

OpenStreetMap
The Lake Conestee Dam is one of the better to photograph, IMO. Usually a good flow of water over/through the dam.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Hope you take some dam pictures! <-- yes this is still funny to me, despite being an adult.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Hope you take some dam pictures! <-- yes this is still funny to me, despite being an adult.
Don't try to be punny!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
I live near Paris Mountain and found those two nice ones there , there is also a small one in Taylors called Edwards Mill on Private Property.Thanks for the tip on the dam near 85, I wil take a look at it this weekend.
I remembered one more. It's in Greer. It was part of an old mill, which has turned into lofts. I posted the web address with the directions for the loft, because the dam is right there at the lofts. This is really a good one. Quite large and lots of good angles to shoot from. Check it out.

Go to Lofts By The Lake at Apalache Mill and click on the directions tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area