Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 PM

148 posts, read 287,644 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

We are getting close to moving near Greemville. My daughter is a single parent. She wants to come with us which we would also love but she needs a job so that she can get her own apartment. My hubby works out of the house doing mail orders making dentures for dentists so that is not an option for her. She is getting her certificaiton for medical billing and coding. Is there any specific place that she should be looking, linked up to or applying for or at? Help, any is greatly appreciated. I've finally got enough to deal with just gettin us down there and trying to get my mom in law transferred from a nursing home up there to down here. Not to mention my own health issues with Lupus and trying to find a good rheumatologist there.
Thanks Again. Blessings to yall, Namaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaw View Post
Hey everyone,

We are getting close to moving near Greemville. My daughter is a single parent. She wants to come with us which we would also love but she needs a job so that she can get her own apartment. My hubby works out of the house doing mail orders making dentures for dentists so that is not an option for her. She is getting her certificaiton for medical billing and coding. Is there any specific place that she should be looking, linked up to or applying for or at? Help, any is greatly appreciated. I've finally got enough to deal with just gettin us down there and trying to get my mom in law transferred from a nursing home up there to down here. Not to mention my own health issues with Lupus and trying to find a good rheumatologist there.
We have 2 large hospital systems in the Upstate: Greenville Hospital System and Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital. Both have multiple locations around the area. There's also Mary Black and Spartanburg Regional in the Spartanburg area and Anmed Health in the Anderson area most of which are nationally recognized in various fields. Not to mention various specialty practices (orthopedics, pain management, etc.) throughout the area. I'd think if your daughter is certified, she shouldn't have much trouble finding work in her field. Good luck to all of you!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM

156 posts, read 332,201 times
^I beg your pardon, I work for GHS and currently they have no openings for coders. (Hospital or Dr office) I would still have her put her app in though in case something opens up. Another note, GHS usually hires experienced coders now since the market is so tight. Has she tried an online coding firm? I don't know the names but I know alot of coders now work from home thru these.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
^I beg your pardon, I work for GHS and currently they have no openings for coders. (Hospital or Dr office) I would still have her put her app in though in case something opens up. Another note, GHS usually hires experienced coders now since the market is so tight. Has she tried an online coding firm? I don't know the names but I know alot of coders now work from home thru these.
Well, then that still leaves all the other places I listed (and many more I don't even know of).

Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,331 times
Would highly recommend your daughter securing employment before she moves with you to Greenville....otherwise all of you will have to live together for possibly a long time while she tries to find work. Before the recession I would have said take a chance and just go for it and find a job after the relocation......but now there are many people having trouble finding work at this time so it may be a tough battle especially for a newcomer coming from another state.

Greenville is a nice place but it is also one of the last places that I would ever want to be unemployed and looking for work (been there and done that already).

Good luck to you and your family....

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 01-20-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaw View Post
Hey everyone,

Make sure she checks with St.Francis. They are in the process of constructing the new campus (additional campus) at the Millennium Campus. Over the next few years, there should be several medical jobs coming online as this new hosiptal campus opens in stages.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Would highly recommend your daughter securing employment before she moves with you to Greenville....otherwise all of you will have to live together for possibly a long time while she tries to find work. Before the recession I would have said take a chance and just go for it and find a job after the relocation......but now there are many people having trouble finding work at this time so it may be a tough battle especially for a newcomer coming from another state.

Greenville is a nice place but it is also one of the last places that I would ever want to be unemployed and looking for work (been there and done that already).

Good luck to you and your family....
Results may vary, I have never had any problems and make a good living here. Probably as good as some in NYC. Don't let this information stop you from following your dreams. For some reason this person still has a healthy interest in Greenville even though they are in the biggest city in America.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 AM

156 posts, read 332,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Make sure she checks with St.Francis. They are in the process of constructing the new campus (additional campus) at the Millennium Campus. Over the next few years, there should be several medical jobs coming online as this new hosiptal campus opens in stages.
Very true about the new campus although that is a few years out. But, St. Francis typically has many fewer job openings than GHS. Can't speak for Spartanburg Regional as I have never worked there. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
Are you sure you work for GHS? There are TONS of job openings. I just googled and found a massive list....link below. Note, not all jobs are Greenville, SC as the google included a couple of other Greenville's, but when you go through the list, Greenville, SC has numerous job openings....most posted within the last 5 to 9 days. Namaw, hopefully this factual list will be of help more to you than the questionable opinions of some.

Greenville Hospital System Jobs | Indeed.com

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,331 times
There is absolutely nothing questionable about the fact that there is a big unemployment problem. Anyone moving to Greenville would be wise to make sure that they know where they are going to work before they move. If they believe the cover up that happens on this forum they will be in for a rude awakening when they arrive.

There is also nothing questionable about the fact that the picture below shows 2 lines stretching out into the parking lot of unemployed people waiting to get inside of an overcrowded Greenville unemployment office! If many of those already living in Greenville have lost jobs, been out of work in many cases for at least a year and cannot find employment this does not say much for the hope of a newcomer finding work quickly!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area