U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 PM

5,010 posts, read 7,006,352 times

Advertisements

Just bought a house and my first guests are coming to visit on Tuesday and we plan to go out to lunch, but I have no clue on where to take them and need some recommendations on a good place to go. Nothing fancy, not expensive, not too far away from Greer and Wade Hampton area if possible. Not interested in any chains unless they are exclusive to the area. I'm just totally unfamiliar with where a good place would be to take them. No particular kind of food in mind, could be bbq, Italian, Mexican, Greek, etc. just as long as the food AND service are consistently good.

I noticed a Mex. restaurant where Big Lots is, I think it was El Mariachi, seems to always have cars there - any thoughts? There's a fish place as well acros the street, Flounder something??? I saw an Italian place called Capris but I think it said they were only open for dinner? I'd love to find a place with good eggplant parm. and tiramisu! What's the Copper something, can't remember what the other word is? Anything good in downtown Greer, have yet to look around down there.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 PM

11,058 posts, read 22,010,245 times
There's this great italian restaurant called Mytho's on Wade Hampton Blvd between CVS and Fuddruckers directly across from McDonalds. I don't believe it's a chain either. Copper River Grill is a chain but they have very good food IMO.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,083,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Just bought a house and my first guests are coming to visit on Tuesday and we plan to go out to lunch, but I have no clue on where to take them and need some recommendations on a good place to go. Nothing fancy, not expensive, not too far away from Greer and Wade Hampton area if possible. Not interested in any chains unless they are exclusive to the area. I'm just totally unfamiliar with where a good place would be to take them. No particular kind of food in mind, could be bbq, Italian, Mexican, Greek, etc. just as long as the food AND service are consistently good.

I noticed a Mex. restaurant where Big Lots is, I think it was El Mariachi, seems to always have cars there - any thoughts? There's a fish place as well acros the street, Flounder something??? I saw an Italian place called Capris but I think it said they were only open for dinner? I'd love to find a place with good eggplant parm. and tiramisu! What's the Copper something, can't remember what the other word is? Anything good in downtown Greer, have yet to look around down there.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
I live here, 10 minutes from all of those places. Mythos is decent, typical Greek diner, but good food, but they allow smoking (boo). Copper River is a small chain, it's good, not great (smoking, but not too bad unless you're close to the bar). El Mariachi is decent, but Mexican here is generally terrible, but they too allow smoking and it's pretty strong. Downtown has a lot of great places, but my top recommendation is Dellaventuras, best Pizza in all of Greenville and their pasta dishes look great as well, and the place is always packed, plus it's smoke free. It's run by an Italian American family from Staten Island, by way of Florida, and the place is great.

http://www.dellaventuras.com/

Old 02-07-2010, 11:40 PM

11,058 posts, read 22,010,245 times
Dellaventuras? I might have to try that myself. Sounds good.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,083,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Dellaventuras? I might have to try that myself. Sounds good.
It's awesome, I promise. It's so good in fact, that despite the fact that they're closed on Sundays, we got a large pepperoni last night for the Super Bowl today and reheated it, and it was awesome. This place is fantastic, best pizza in all of G'ville, hands down, plus the pasta dishes look great. My dad wants us to take him there for his b'day in March. Oh, yeah, we also had an antipasta salad one time and it was fantastic, plus they're really friendly there, the place is always packed for dinner.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the info.

Sonrise, hows the other food at that place? I don't order pizza out, I make it at home (use to own a pizzeria) but like I said, good eggplant parm and tiramisu would seal the deal. Their place in SOFLA isn't that far from where I live down there. Any idea if they have a lunch menu? A bit pricey and probably too much food for lunch for me. But they do have eggplant and tiramisu it says!

Hmmm, didn''t realize SC wasn't smoke free, SOFLA has been smoke free for so many years I can't even remember when I had to ask for a smoke free table. That will most definitely weigh on where I decide to go. I can't stand the smell of smoke and if it's strong in a place I'll not go. I don't want to be anywhere near smoke. The house we bought has 2 rooms where the guy must have smoked and I'm trying everything to get rid of it, it's happening slowly.

What kind of food does Copper River have?

Anyone else have a fav???

Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 AM

4,446 posts, read 6,011,662 times
We've never been to the Copper River in Greer but the one in Columbia is wonderful! Great service, food and pleasant decor. Here's their website Copper River Grill serves the finest Steaks, Seafood, Ribs, Pasta, Sandwiches, Burgers, Gourmet Pizza, Salads and Appetizers.

And, of course, there are a lot of independents or really small chains in downtown Greenville.

Bon Appetit!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks Lynch, that's not far from me at all. Though it's a chain, it seems only a few places and all up here. The salads look good! Will have to try them out, if not tomorrow, another day.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We've never been to the Copper River in Greer but the one in Columbia is wonderful! Great service, food and pleasant decor. Here's their website Copper River Grill serves the finest Steaks, Seafood, Ribs, Pasta, Sandwiches, Burgers, Gourmet Pizza, Salads and Appetizers.

And, of course, there are a lot of independents or really small chains in downtown Greenville.

Bon Appetit!
I believe Copper River is locally-based/headquartered. We went to the one by Haywood Mall right after it opened, and we liked the food. It ALWAYS looks packed.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
WFR

22 posts, read 96,796 times
I've been eating at Dellaventuras since he came to the area a little over 3 years ago.
My in-laws are from Jersey and pretty critical of anything Italian. They love the place and his canolis are to die for.
Good down to earth people and a wonderful atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Thanks for the info.

Sonrise, hows the other food at that place? I don't order pizza out, I make it at home (use to own a pizzeria) but like I said, good eggplant parm and tiramisu would seal the deal. Their place in SOFLA isn't that far from where I live down there. Any idea if they have a lunch menu? A bit pricey and probably too much food for lunch for me. But they do have eggplant and tiramisu it says!

Hmmm, didn''t realize SC wasn't smoke free, SOFLA has been smoke free for so many years I can't even remember when I had to ask for a smoke free table. That will most definitely weigh on where I decide to go. I can't stand the smell of smoke and if it's strong in a place I'll not go. I don't want to be anywhere near smoke. The house we bought has 2 rooms where the guy must have smoked and I'm trying everything to get rid of it, it's happening slowly.

What kind of food does Copper River have?

Anyone else have a fav???

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area